- SL Grey, author of The Mall
NEW PERK ADDITION:
$75 perk now includes a copy o EVERY SINGLE* PRINT ISSUE of Something Wicked.
*Issues #2 to #10 (issue #1 is out of print).
Since 2006 Something Wicked has been the only South African paying market for writers and readers of Horror and Science Fiction. Now we are aiming to be the first annual South African anthology for horror and science fiction. The anthology will be available as an e-book as well as a traditional paperback. This campaign is intended to help fund our first anthology
Founded in 2006, Something Wicked ran for ten issues in print before moving to an online monthly schedule in May of 2011.
We have published science fiction and horror fiction from around the world and have featured several award-winning authors such as Abi Godsell, Ivor W. Hartmann, Nick Wood, CS Fuqua, and Arthur C Clarke Award winner Lauren Beukes. We also have the distinct honour of being the first publication to have published Sarah Lotz (half of Lily Herne and SL Grey).
We’ve featured interviews with Best Sellers (Stephen King, Alastair Reynolds, John Connolly), alongside Hollywood directors and stars (Danny Trejo, Ed Neumeier, Jolene Blalock).
Something Wicked is the only paying short genre-fiction market in South Africa with readers from all over the globe.
Something Wicked Volume One, will be our first print anthology and, to the best of my knowledge, the first science fiction and/or horror anthology ever published in South Africa.
We are hoping to create South Africa's first, annual genre-fiction anthology. We believe Something Wicked is an important brand to keep alive as it is the only one of it's kind in SA. And it's only through your help that we can do that.
The anthology will feature two covers illustrated by internationally acclaimed South African illustrator Vincent Sammy, and 24 stories of dark fantasy, science fiction and horror by authors from South Africa and all over the world.
The book itself is split into the six original issues, each featuring illustrations of the original cover art by Jesca Marisa, Pierre Smit, Hendrik Gericke and Vincent Sammy.
We've also commissioned illustrations for every single story, lovingly illustrated and donated, free of charge, by Pierre Smit.
"Something Wicked is the leading horror magazine in South Africa... and it is clear that they are able to attract some of the best genre writers in the country." - Jim Steel, The Fix-Online
- $2000 covers the cost of the writers and story licenses.
- Around $1000 will go to printing 300 copies of the Limited Edition paperbacks (the white cover above) which will only be on sale in South Africa and offered to campaign supporters.
- Almost a third of it covers the author's license fees for the stories.
- $950 covers the illustrations (including $300 for two of the covers which have not been paid yet).
- Another third of the money raised will go towards back-payment for our story-editor's six months of tireless editing of the 115607 words that make up the anthology.
- And whatever is left takes care of postage for the books and rewards, plus the commission that Indie Go Go takes (4% if we reach our goal, 9% if we don't).
- If we don't manage to raise all the funds, the book will still be published through Amazon's Create Space POD, but we'll only print as many copies of the Limited Edition as needed to honour the campaign backers.
- What you get depends on the level of funding you choose, but at the very least you'll get a twitter shout-out and thank you (and a hug if I know you personally), or cool-sexy postcards, personalised to YOU, (yes, even you in the back there with the weird hair).
- We'll list your name in the Acknowledgements section of the anthology.
- You can even get your copy signed by Vianne and Joe, and interior illustrator Pierre Smit.
- How about exclusive campaign contributor mugs, T-Shirts, or our entire back catalogue of printed or online issues* (with over 100 short stories).
- How about one of thirty signed and numbered hardcover copies of Something Wicked Volume One?
- You could have your story professionally edited by our brilliant fiction editor, Vianne Venter and...
- If you're completely insane and want to chuck money at us, fukkit, we'll give you everything, EVERYTHING, YOU HEAR? Including a song in your honour and one of our very own last remaining copies in the world of Issue 1.
*Available e-Issues: #'s 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11 - 19.
available print issues: #'s 2 - 10 (Issue#1 available to top-tier contributions only).
Every little bit counts... we are so grateful for any and all support.
If you believe in this project, then please post this to your Facebook, Twitter, and web sites. Email your friends, family, colleagues and everyone you have ever met. Send telegrams to Mars. It all helps in the long run.
Thank you all again.