What is Sensorist?
With Sensorist, real-time and historic measurement data can be visualised and explored 24/7, and accessed forever. Unlike traditional thermometers, Sensorist offers data visualisations, trends, full history and custom alarms - via website or free App. You can get a detailed view of what's going on, even when not around, and ensure optimal conditions and never again have items damaged by unforeseen changes to temperature and humidity.
Whether it be in a wine cellar, greenhouse, garage, inside/outside, the temperature and humidity monitoring possibilities are endless!
Today, a lot of people have a thermometer and some may even have a hygrometer, but most of these devices are old-fashioned and have not changed in a hundred years. Yes, some of them have gone wireless so you do not need to go outside to see the temperature, but they still have many limitations::
- No Data history . At best only show min/max values since last reset
- No way to visualize and correlate measurements
- No remote access to measurements when away
- No alerts - not even when at home
We want to change that!
Our solution is simple and easy and will help to make your life easier and is equipped with the following features...
- Hardware devices + Cloud-based web platform + App
- Multiple different sensors possible. One sensor and one probe for starters, but we will keep adding new ones
- Access to full measurement history (e.g., compare last summers warmest day with this years - or find the coldest day this winter)
- Visualize and explore your data (e.g., correlate graph of outside temperature with the temperature from your wine cellar)
- Bring your data with you everywhere (e.g., see your current garage humidity no matter where you are)
- Get notified anywhere through continuous monitoring (e.g., receive an alert from the greenhouse before the temperature reaches freezing point
Parts in solution:Gateway:
The gateway connects to power (we supply the correct PSU for your country) and to your home network, and from there to the Internet. The gateway receives wireless communication from the sensors and can receive data from 200+ sensors within 100 meters without any problems. You normally just need one gateway, but if your sensors are spread out over a huge area (outside of 100 meters) or if you have several physical locations (other homes; e.g., summer house), then you will need more. You can have several gateways under your account, and see data from all of them in the same place through my Sensorist or our free app.The gateway sends your data to our cloud servers where it is stored forever, and this service is completely free.
The sensors are the devices that actually measure temperature and humidity, and you can place them where you want to collect data. They are wireless and run on 2 x AA batteries so they are easily replaceable. With a stylish, modern design they look nice in any area, but work equally as well when hidden from view. Each sensor has a keyhole at the back, so can easily be hung up and battery life is 2+ years. The sensor sends data to the gateway every 15 minutes. Our sensors are not waterproof, so if you place them outside make sure they do not get exposed to rain and hang them under cover; e.g., a roof. Our sensors have the ability to have a probe connected to them through a mini jack in the bottom.
The probe connects to the sensor and gives the sensor one more measurement point. We currently have two versions of our temperature probes, a soil probe for general use and another for the wine enthusiast, which is equipped with a cork so it can be inserted into a wine bottle filled with water and placed where you store your wine. The probe will record the bottle temperature and the sensor it connects to will record the room temperature and humidity, enabling you to see the difference when the surrounding environment changes.
With our iPhone app, you always have the information you need in the palm of your hand - even when your are not at home. It features a simple design and works with multiple gateways and sensors. Quickly see current temperature and humidity or dive into historical graphs showing what has happened. Furthermore, we enrich your data with statistics on averages / min / max and a lot more advanced statistics based on the usage case of your sensor.
With our easy-to-read, pinch-and-zoom graphs, you can view all of your data on our app and also receive your alerts as push notifications.
Android App and iPad are planned for End Of Year '13, but until then our website works beautifully on your mobile deviceWeb: Under "My sensorist" on our website, you can follow and monitor all the data from your sensors. You can always see the current temperature and humidity for all your sensors or dive into the historical changes and developments, either by day, week, month or year, or by picking your own date-range. We enrich your data with both general statistics and custom stats based on your individual usage. You can see conditions right now, as well as historical developments and stats.
"My sensorist" is also the place where you can name your devices so you can easily track each one, (e.g., Garage sensor) and set up custom alarms (e.g., let me know when the temperature in my greenhouse goes below 2C, so I can move the plant, which cannot tolerate freezing temperatures). In addition, you can see which of your alarms have been triggered, and set them up to receive messages through email as well.
How our sensors work?
With a simple, easy setup, our sensors will be monitoring your environment in no time.
The diagram above illustrates how it all works. Our system consists of an ethernet connected gateway, sensors and an optional wine probe or soil temperature probe. The gateway is first plugged into your Internet router. Wireless sensors are then placed in the environment, where you want to monitor temperature and humidity. One gateway can support as many sensors as you want, within 100 meters.
The wine probe is attached to a sensor and can measure the temperature inside a bottle.
The soil temperature probe is attached to a sensor and can serve as a plant thermometer, measuring soil temperature.
Every 15 minutes, the sensor sends temperature and humidity measurements to the gateway, which then transmits to our servers, where you can view them.
You can view your measurements and see statistics on our website or via our iPhone app through interactive, pinch-and-zoom graphs and you can choose if you want to dive into more detail or not.
- Sampling frequency: 15 minutes
Range -35°C - 60°C: ±0,5°C.
< ±5% RH < 95% RH from 0-60°C, Stability: <1% RH / year
- Wireless range: (>100 meters)
- Low power usage and long battery life (>2 year)
- CE and FCC certified for use in all of US & EU
- Add up to 200+ sensors pr. gateway
- View current data as well as historical data by day/week/month/year
- Easy setup - no wizard needed
- Free app + free cloud service
- Custom alerts when temperature/humidity goes above or below your custom thresholds through email or push notification
Basic Package: 1 Gateway, 1 sensor
Large Basic Package: 1 Gateway, 2 sensors
Wine Package: 1 Gateway, 1 sensor, 1 wine probe
Large Wine Package: 1 Gateway, 2 sensors, 1 wine probe
Little Green Thumb Package: 1 Gateway, 1 sensor, 1 soil temperature probe
Big Green Thumb Package: 1 Gateway, 2 sensors, 1 soil temperature probe
Sensor Hungry: 1 Gateway, 10 sensors
* All packages include 2 x AAA batteries and PSU. If you live in the US, UK or EU, we will provide you with the correct PSU. If you live outside of these areas, we will provide you with the EU PSU version
Sensorist’s story began with Kasper visiting his wine cellar. It's a 100-year-old cellar in the basement. When he checked the thermometer in his cellar, it seemed to be a bit cooler than he remembered from the week before, but he had no way of being sure, as he did not note down the readings. He began to ponder the limited abilities of his regular thermometer and how it lacked the functionality of keeping history. With this problem in mind, he came up with the idea to develop a product that would make it easy to log and monitor sensors from any location..
As an entrepreneur with a love for technology, he wanted to create a business that would bring a unique product that connected the physical world with the Internet.
Excited about his new idea, he teamed up with Martin and Nicolai, who shared the same passion for technology and the combination of software, cloud and hardware as him, and Sensorist was born.
With a wine cellar as the first thought, it quickly evolved into how the product could work in other environments. Realizing that it was not only temperature that they could measure, the product developed into one that could also measure humidity, giving it more capabilities and allowing them to scout new markets. The current sensor is able to be used in a vast variety of areas such as:
- storage room
- summer house
- Only your imagination sets the limits of use
And we have great plans to develop several different new sensors further down the road.
Do you have a black thumb & have a tendency to watch your plants wilt instead of flourish? A magical gnome is not enough to keep your garden growing;)
Our Green Thumb Packs can help you with:
- Set an alarm and get a notification when the temperature drops below 3 C & save your plants from the danger of frost
- Invest in two sensors and get full knowledge of how your greenhouse performance is linked to the outside temperature
- Invest in a soil probe and see how much warmer your soil is by night compared to the air temperature. You can set alarms so you receive a notification if the temperature drops below or above the optimal level
- Know when it's the right time to move your special plants from outdoors to your greenhouse or when to plant your sprouts inside
No matter if you are a casual wine drinker and small time collector or already a serious wine collector / wine investor with hundreds and hundreds of bottles, you need to ensure that they are stored properly. Store them too warm and the aging process is accelerated or too humid, and mold will start forming and the labels will start deteriorating. We can help you track and document your storage conditions. By investing in one of our Wine Packs, you can get insight on:
- Daily temperature variations (daily change is much more damaging for your wine than seasonal changes)
- Too humid or too dry environment (too humid and molding of cork and labels could start, or too dry and wine corks could dry out)
- Make sure your cooling system or wine fridge operates at your desired temperature - and get alerts if they don't
- Set an alert if temperature is too high, as well as if temperature is close to freezing point and can destroy your wine
- Follow both the general conditions of the cellar / storage and the specific conditions of one sample bottle. The temperature change in your bottles will be delayed compared to changes in room temperature (with our wine bottle probe)
- Be able to document historical storage conditions if you ever plan to sell some of your precious bottles
- Get insights on expected maturation of your bottles depending on actual storage conditions
Are you a classic car or motorcycle owner and have spent countless number of hours keeping your baby looking shiny and new? Don’t let all of your hard work go to waste.
Sensorist can help keep your baby’s engine roaring with our Large Basic Pack, so you can always monitor the condition of how your 1950’s convertible is doing and help keep an eye in its number one enemy, HUMIDITY!
- Too high humidity: Rusting is generally not a problem with 55-60% humidity level. Our sensors constantly measure humidity. Set your sensor so you receive a push notification if the humidity level goes over 55%
- Too high humidity: If the humidity level is over 60-70% the risk of mold and rotting increases dramatically. Generally it is the leather that will pay the price first. With one of our T/H sensors in the garage or even better - have one also placed inside the car, you can constantly measure the humidity level and follow its development.
- Too low humidity: If the humidity level is under 40%, you risk your fine leather and wood cracking, drying out and deteriorating. Set your sensor to a minimum of 40% and get a push notification when the limit is reached.
And that's not all...
Our product can be used for other special environments, as well. For example, we've had both a bee keeper and an exotic pet owner tell us that our product would be perfect for them. The bee keeper wants to use our wine probe to set into his bee hive in the winter to measure the temperature, as the hive needs to be at a very special one. With our app, he can keep track of his buzzing bees all winter long and know when to take action!
The exotic pet owner has a lizard and the temperature in it's terrarium can be difficult to both regulate and monitor. These lizards are especially sensitive to light and heat and rely on the external temperature to regulate their own body temperature. She can therefore, set up her app to receive a push notification if the temperature goes above or below the optimal level and save her precious pet from danger of getting ill, dehydrated or worse.
Perhaps you have a hobby like one of these, and our product would be ideal for your situation.
Meet the team:
We are a small, but very capable team of three guys and a girl. Living in Copenhagen and working in Nyhavn Harbour is a little bit like stepping into one of Hans Christian Andersen's fairy tales. As the danes like to say, it is very "hyggeligt." Following in the footsteps of their viking ancestors, danes enjoy sitting along the canals and sharing a Carlsberg or two, as do we as well;) Get to know a little bit about us...
Kasper: The boss and founder manKasper has an entrepreneurial spirit and has been involved in building up several start-up companies. He was employee no#1 in the first ISP in Denmark and later went on to found a new discount ISP called Fullrate, which sold to the Danish incumbent TDC after taking the company to being the thirds biggest ADSL provider in Denmark. A couple of years later he quit the company to start Sensorist. He has a taste for good wine and is passionate about building the business and making it a success!
Martin: Software developer
From the server side to the clients, Martin is building the Sensorist backend, API, iOS app and web front end. He also manages our cloud/AWS setup. He is Educated MSc in Software Development and Technology from the IT University in Copenhagen, Denmark.
Nicolai: Hardware developer
Nicolai has a tech background & is the man behind the hardware & firmware front. Testing is the name of the game & he spends hours of them making sure everything is working properly. Not only is he a killer on the tech front, he's also known for his karate moves & can seriously kick some butt in the Dojo.
Sarah: A creative soul
Adding a feminine touch to a room full of testosterone, Sarah is in charge of marketing, social media and writing, bringing a creative flare to the product. Born in the US and living in Copenhagen for 8 years, she loves to travel and has a passion for family and friends and being out on the water.
Join our quest:
Help Us Write Our Fairy Tale. In order to make our dream a reality and bring a truly unique product to you, we need your help to take the next step. We currently have first builds of the final product from our factory in Shenzhen, China and are ready to start the production. With this in place and the software close to being finalized, we are just missing the last step - starting mass production of our gateway, sensors and probes.To start off with, Indiegogo will be the only place where you can get our product by pre-ordering. By doing this, we can get close to our customers and get a gauge on the interest of the product before we scale-up production volumes. Our goal of $40.000 is to reach the initial production volume necessary to start mass production. By contributing to our project and showing your support, you will be among the first to enjoy the benefits of our monitoring solution and have an influence on the direction of the project going forward. We promise to make the best possible product and software for you and will continue to add different kinds of sensors and probes to the Sensorist product. Please come with feedback and your input as to what you could use our sensors for.
We hope that you will join our community and help us to rock the sensor world!
When our Indiegogo campaign is finished, you will have the opportunity to buy more of our gateways, sensors and probes in our e-shop.
Other ways you can help
If you are not able to support us monetarily, we would love if you could tweet or become a fan of our Facebook page or Google+. Just helping us to get the word out is a wonderful contribution in itself!
So, why should you support us?
- Be the very first to get our products
- You have a hobby for wine, gardening, classic cars, exotic animals, or an environment that you want to keep an eye on and have not thought about how high and low temperature and humidity can effect your precious possessions, and want to be able to take action before it's too late
- You love data and want a lot of it from your home, garden or any other environment you want to monitor
Where we are in the production process?
We currently have a working build 1 prototype and we're now focused on:
- Developing and perfecting the design and usability of the mobile app
- Developing the data visualization tools
- Developing the app to work on both Android and tablets
- Finalizing the packaging
- Get some commitment to meet minimum production volume
- Constantly work on improving the product through consistent testing
We will soon begin the process of:
- Further developing our website and setting up our e-shop
- Further development of new sensors, such as a soil humidity probe and a flood detecting probe
Business model, Distribution, Marketing, Partnerships
Available online only! Sensorist sensors can only be purchased on our e-shop for starters. With an international scope, we will be selling them globally, so everyone has the chance to get one. Our plan is to focus on B2C to start with and look into moving into B2B down the line.
Shipping & Handling
We offer free shipping to Denmark. There will be a flatrate shipping fee of $15 for all other countries. We are more than happy to ship to all countries, but if you live outside of the EU, please be aware that you are subject to import duty charges.
Please take note that under our perks the prices vary if you live in or outside of the EU. Prices outside of the EU do not include tax & prices inside the EU include tax.
Check back for continuous updates so you can follow along with the development and see what your generous support is going towards:)