Help fund SB Open Streets!
Our goal: On Saturday, November 2nd, we will open over 2 miles of Cabrillo Blvd and part of the Funk Zone and invite people of all ages, abilities and backgrounds into the streets (with no motorized vehicles), for a day of people-powered movement to promote better health, flexibility and FUN!
- With now over 200 large-scale Open Streets initiatives worldwide - and some cities with weekly events - millions of people are actively reducing their carbon footprint, reducing global obesity and creating the connections and habits for a more sustainable world.
- By closing the street to traffic for a day and creating a space for families, individuals and organizations to get out and move, try new fitness classes, walk, bike or bus to the event and connect and eat in a community space, we are creating a better environment in which to build healthier individuals and a stronger community with less reliance on motorized vehicles.
- We're projecting 15,000 or more SB Open Streets participants on Nov. 2. That's 15,000+ people using our streets as a public park, engaging in fitness activities, expressing their creativity, eating healthy...bringing our community together... and our 'streets alive' (¡Calles Vivas!).
- We have partnered with many of our activity & service providers that will be offering special free trials, discounted rates and other perks to SB Open Streets participants as a means to build business exposure and our local economy.
- LOTS of SMALL CHANGES = BIG WORLDWIDE CHANGES. Open Streets initiatives are shown to increase bike ridership. The map below shows the rates of biking continuing to rise across the US.
Our Fundraising Goal
Our goal is to raise $5,000 for the first-ever SB Open Streets ¡Calles Vivas! event. Any additional funds raised beyond this will allow us to immediately dive into planning the next SB Open Streets initiative!
COAST - the Coalition for Sustainable Transportation, a Santa Barbara non-profit, is proudly coordinating SB Open Streets ¡Calles Vivas! in partnership with Traffic Solutions and a broad section of community organizations with similar goals.
This Indiegogo campaign broadens the partnership and ownership of the initiative to the public: the true owners of SB Open Streets!
With the community's support we can make our first-ever SB Open Streets an incredible success on Saturday, Nov. 2nd from 10 am - 4 pm.
The SB Open Streets Story
Since January, 2013, a committee of dedicated enthusiasts have been meeting to plan the Nov. 2nd SB Open Streets celebration. The group has gone on fact-finding field trips to other Open Streets city events, met with public officials, attended a national Open Streets conference, wrote grants, built a growing team of supporters and the vast infrastructure to make this a reality.
We have the required permits and recently held an Open Streets kickoff launch party on August 28th. We have a large number of activities, demonstrations, performances and community health workshops lined up and have raised approximately 75% of the needed funds to make our Open Street dream a reality in Santa Barbara!
Check out this video that explains the Open Streets concept.
Some of the many free activities will include:
Brazilian Capoeria & Jiu Jitsu
Zumba & Salsa dance
PERFORMANCES & ART
Community Art Mural
Street and Stage Music Performances
Community Picnic Area
Future Now Projects & Demos
Mountain & Road Bike skills course
Create & Install a Bike Basket workshop
Bike maintenance & skills
Healthy Eating classes
Health Screenings & Education
SBCAG Traffic Solutions
RRM Design Group
SB Pollution Control District / Santa Barbara Car Free
Goleta Valley Cycling Club
Dru Van Hengel
Thompson Naylor Architects
SB Bicycle Coalition
Santa Barbara Events and Festivals Grant
Community Environmental Council
Global Good Impact
Penfieild and Smith
- The funding we raise for this campaign goes directly to the event infrastructre.
- Efforts are being make to get as much as possible donated in-kind, but there are some things we must pay for (permits, insurance, port-o-lets, road closure signage & barricades and some marketing).
- COAST is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization and your donation is 100% tax deductible.
- If we don't reach our campaign goal of $5,000, Indiegogo will retain 9% of our funds, otherwise we get to keep all of the funds except a small administrative fee.
Can't donate? You can still get involved:
- Help us by sharing the link to this campaign to all of your contacts
- Lead a fitness class, activity, demonstration or workshop
- Lead a walk or bike ride from your business to SB Open Streets
- Donate a needed service or volunteers
- Offer us a perk or matching gift to motivate people to donate to this campaign
- Find out more: Go to www.SBOpenStreets.org, Email our Event Coordinator Robin Elander at RobinSBOpenStreets@gmail.com or call 805-216-1223
- Join us for our planning meetings at REI. The next one is Tuesday, Sep 10th at 6:30 pm.