Blanch Associates is the developer of SafeHarness, the first and only personal, portable seatbelt. Our ambition is to raise enough funds to put these lifesavers on the market in order to offer you & your loved ones a safer choice in motor coach travel.
SafeHarness is all about saving lives and providing a safer environment for those engaging in motor coach travel—particularly the safety of our children and those with special needs. SafeHarness is patented and is the first and only portable seatbelt for coach buses.
Although new regulations have been envisioned requiring all new motor coach buses to be outfitted with seatbelts in the future, these regulations will not be fully implemented until 2017 at the earliest. Note, these are merely regulations and not laws. In addition, these regulations do not include the addition of seatbelts on older models of coach buses. These older buses, estimated to be on the road, in some instances for as many as 10 to 15 years, don’t have an option for basic seatbelt safety…until now.
With countless tour & motor coach bus crashes appearing on the news, and millions of riders engaging in motor coach travel each year, securing our passengers is becoming more critical than ever. SafeHarness offers you the first and only solution to this problem. We give you the choice in your own safety during motor coach travel and the opportunity to provide affordable safety for others.
Who Can Benefit From This?
The seatbelt, one of the most basic forms of safety in any motor vehicle, saves countless lives and individuals from injury each year. So, we believe that any passenger engaging in motor coach bus travel can benefit from the SafeHarness. The SafeHarness has also been proven to be effective on other forms of transportation.
As a duo of individuals who have seen firsthand the terrors that can come with motor vehicle accidents, we created our own solution with a number of groups in mind.
- Children & Youth: our children and youth are often passengers of motor coach buses in instances of after school sporting events, day camps, field trips, church functions, band or choir events and more.
- Special Needs Individuals: those with special needs are perhaps the most crucial to keep safe and secure in motor coach seats. The SafeHarness keeps riders properly seated and protected en route to field trips, day camps, special needs programs, and more.
- Seniors: our elderly individuals traveling to casinos, adult care centers, beaches and other leisure activities.
- Regional Travelers & Tourists: each year, thousands of individuals participate in trips across cities, states and countries for leisure or business travel.
We want these individuals to have the opportunity to BYOB! Bring Your Own Belt—it’s portable & comes with its own travel case.
How the SafeHarness Works
The SafeHarness is a simple yet effective design intended to be used by the individual. It is easily installed on a motor coach seat by placing it over the seat back and sliding it down to the seat cushion. The individual then secures it in place by pulling on the belt which is kept taught because of a specially designed tensioning device. When installed correctly, the single strap design of the SafeHarness takes the shape of a standard automotive-grade lap belt and provides the passenger with a safety measure previously unavailable to them.
To ensure the highest level of safety, SafeHarness meets Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS-209). Additional sled tests that follow the guidelines of FMVSS-208 were also conducted, these tests further warrant the level of safety we aspire to provide all of our consumers.
- Materials: Single piece of 7-panel, high quality seatbelt webbing (120” x 1.875” wide), buckle & tongue assembly, double loop slider, locking plate & seatbelt guide.
- Packaging: Each belt is packed in a nylon travel case with handle (approx. 8” x 6” x 3”)
- Weight: 1 pound, 11 ounces
- Sizes: Universal for all users up to 50” waist.
Risks & Challenges
The biggest challenge we face in bringing this product to market is the additional funding to produce the production tooling. We have already invested 4 years in development and over $100,000. Our investment includes many cycles of trial and error to find a workable solution, as well as testing and patent costs. On successful funding of our project, we’re ready to go! We have a manufacturing plan ready to implement and we’re excited that this will be an affordable, Made in America product…and the first and only of its kind!
Find us on our website or connect with us on:
[We reserve the right to give equal or greater value pledge gifts based on item quantities. Of course, upon goal completion SafeHarnesses will be fulfilled to everyone who made a qualified pledge.]