Our Indiegogo.com campaign is now over, but its not too late to stay connected, make a donation, hear about the latest updates with our greenhouse, get information about construction, view photos, and find out how you can stay involved. Please visit us at www.openhand.org/greenhouse and a huge thank you to all who've helped us reach our goal!
*** We’ve reached our goal of $22,000! ***
BUT WAIT... IT'S NOT OVER YET!
Help us stretch beyond our goal, so we can grow EVEN MORE fresh, organic produce than we originally planned. If we raise $30,000, we can grow 20% MORE herbs and greens for our clients’ meals. Help us get there by March 20, the first day of Spring (the official close of our campaign.)
To everyone who’s already donated, THANK YOU! We reached our goal because our community believes in this project, cares about the work we do and wants to see us grow our own fresh herbs and greens for our clients’ meals. We are so grateful!
Since 1985, Project Open Hand has provided meals with love to critically ill neighbors & the elderly. We prepare more than 2,500 nutritious meals a day, have never given up on our clients and have never missed a single day of service. Ever.
And when a structural engineer told us just prior to the launch of our fundraising campaign that our rooftop wouldn't be able to sustain the weight of an outdoor greenhouse as originally planned, we said, "No problem...we'll find another way." And we did...
Our "Room to Grow" Indoor Greenhouse = Local. Organic. Innovative.
- Providing even better food for our clients - Project Open Hand (POH) uses as many organic produce items and the freshest ingredients possible to prepare our meals with love. The new greenhouse will enable us to use even more organic produce by growing the herbs and greens most often used by our chefs to create nutritious meals for clients. See how we're going to grow our produce here.
- Going green - Building a greenhouse aligns with our continuing commitment to provide fresh, healthy food to our clients in the greenest way possible. We'll be converting an under-utilizied storage room on the first floor of our building at 730 Polk Street right next to the main entrance of our building!
- Enhancing the volunteer experience - The greenhouse is also a wonderful way to engage our existing volunteers and attract new donors to our cause of meals with love. Volunteers will become the primary caretakers of the greenhouse, watering, weeding, harvesting, and caring for plants.
What We Need & What You Get
- The total cost of the project is $32,000. Our good friends at PwC have already donated the first $10,000 in "seed money" and we need to raise the remaining $22,000 to build an indoor greenhouse!
- You get the satisfication that your contribution goes to a good cause and allows us to be an even more efficient, innovative, and green organization.
- You also get awesome perks and the knowledge that you were part of helping us with our efforts to go green, stay local, and be part of the larger food justice movement!
- Our clients will benefit because we will be able to use even more organic herbs and vegetables to prepare our meals. The produce will be extremely fresh, often picked on the same day that it is used in our meals.
- Our volunteers will become the primary caretakers of the greenhouse, watering, weeding, harvesting, and caring for plants. The opportunity to garden in the city in a greenhouse also presents a dynamic educational opportunity for many of our volunteers.
- Our staff will have many opportunities to learn from this project. It will also help reduce waste by enabling chefs to only take the amount of product needed for a particular dish and grow ingredients that are either expensive or difficult to find and purchase.
- Our community will benefit because the greenhouse is an efficient use of our urban space and resources. The greenhouse aligns with values held by many members in our community – going green, buying local and supporting the food justice movement.
Other Ways You Can Help
If you cannot contribute money, here are some other ways you can help:
- Get the word out and make some noise about our "Room to Grow" campaign via the Indiegogo share tools!
- Volunteer at Project Open Hand and join the "Green Team" to help care for and maintain our greenhouse.