What is Rock The School Bells?Rock The School Bells (RTSB) is a hip-hop educational youth conference based in the San Francisco Bay Area. It includes a comprehensive blend of workshops and performances that enhance students' ability to:
- think critically about current issues in their communities as well as in the world
- read and write about topics related to their life's experiences
- display effective oral and written communication through readings, spoken word and poetry
- understand the historical and cultural aspects of hip-hop and its effect on society, education and personal development
These workshops integrate the four key elements of hip-hop: b-boying (breakdancing), graffiti art, DJing (turntablism) and emceeing.
Some of RTSB's past workshops have covered topics such as:
- Hip-Hop Entrepreneurship
- DJ Fundamentals
- Hip-Hop and Social Justice
- B-Girl It's Your World
- Weapons of Mass Promotions
Why fund Rock The School Bells?With many arts, music, and sports programs being discontinued due to ongoing educational budget cuts, Rock The School Bells provides the youth and students a space where they can engage in hip-hop workshops that promote critical thinking, creativity, and social activism. It is also a venue where students can interact and network with hip-hop artists, scholars, community leaders, peers, mentors and a variety of local hip-hop educational programs. As a result it builds a bridge between the classroom and the community.
Our aim is to empower and educate our youth about the importance of higher education, increase personal development through hip hop, and promote social change within their communities. We serve over 500 youth and students at our yearly event and reach out to thousands through our various social networks.
Support Arts and Culture Education.RTSB is looking to raise $15,000 to support the production of both the conference and concert. Items included in production costs will include:
- Stipends for workshop facilitators and performers
- Educational workbooks for students to use in conjunction with the workshops
- Printed materials such as flyers, posters, concert programs, name badges
- Assessment services such as surveys and application forms
- Office supplies
- Rental equipment
This annual conference, held every Spring, had recently been funded by innovation grants and sponsorships, and is now in need of funding sources to continue. The proceeds received from RTSB ticket sales and merchandise sales will go towards educational scholarships to both high school and college students pursuing degrees in art, music, film, dance and other creative arts and culture programs.
In the chance that our funding goal is not met, RTSB will run on a limited budget. Sponsorships are still being sought out, and contributors to our funding purpose will receive commemorative RTSB5 items listed in our incentives list. With some of the incentives listed, your donation will be able to sponsor our youth and students to participate at the RTSB Conference for free.
For more information on some of the listed perks, check out:
With your help and support, we are seeking to transform this one-day event into an established hip hop educational program at our educational institution.
Each One, Teach One, Reach OneRock The School Bells is a hip-hop conference born from the ideas of students who wanted to educate and empower the youth, students, and the community about the history and culture of hip-hop and how it was used as the "voice of the people" back in the 1970s. We need your time, energy, resources, and talents in helping create an educational and empowering event for our youth and students. Below are three things you can do even if you are unable to donate:
- Like Us and Show Some Love On Facebook: Stay up to date with developments regarding Rock The School Bells workshops, guest speakers, performers, and hip-hop educational videos and links. Help us spread the word by "Liking" us on Facebook. (http://www.facebook.com/rocktheschoolbells)
- Email 5 Friends: Back to the basics! We'd love to have you as an RTSB advocate. If you can't donate, but feel like RTSB is a cause worth letting the world know about, please spread the word to all of your friends, families, advocates, youth service providers, educators, and hip-hop supporters.
- Donate Your Time: We're always looking for individuals in the Bay Area to help us with event planning and promotions or volunteer your time during the day of the event. We'd love to have you as a volunteer, where you can see first-hand the impact this conference has on our youth and students. For more information please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.