Rigler School Peace Garden is part of the 100 Urban Gardens Initiative, a partnership between PACT, Whole Kids Foundation & Indiegogo to build 100 urban gardens across 100 cities in the US.
Because gardens produce healthier food and so much more. They grow healthy kids and strong communities. Their roots dig deep in the soil to create powerful connections between our community and the natural environment that surrounds it. Your donation today will help us plant the seeds of nutrition, environmental stewardship, and garden education in the hearts and minds of the Rigler School community.
Because gardens can help fix America's nature deficit. With more than 80% of Americans living in cities and suburbs, we need to work harder than ever to teach the values of natural processes.
Because gardens are a living laboratory for education. Not just healthy food—a lesson on what producing healthy food requires. Not just exposure to nature—a way for children to literally harvest the fruits of their labor.
Did You Know?
- Only 2% of American children eat enough fruits and vegetables
- 1 in 3 American children born after 2000 is at risk for Type II diabetes
A True Seed Investment
For as little as $10, you can help a community reap all the benefits a garden has to offer. In just 39 days, we plan to raise $2500 per garden; to feed, to teach, and to inspire.
Gardens grow so much more than nutritious food. They grow healthy kids and strong communities. Their roots dig deep in the soil to create powerful connections between our community and the natural environment that surrounds it. Your donation today will help us plant the seeds of nutrition, environmental stewardship, and garden education in the hearts and minds of the Rigler School community.
Our immediate goal is to provide a series of workshops throughout the summer for families interested in learning more about growing food. They will be taught in the garden by Rigler School’s Garden Teacher, who is a Master Gardner and experienced educator. The workshops will include, but are not limited to:
- Composting: benefits, the composting recipe, types of containers, worm bins, and resources for materials
- Herb Gardening: types of herbs, when to grow, how to dry and store, and how to cook with different herbs
- Raised Beds: Companion planting, planting schedules, and transplanting
- Soil amendments: How to make productive and healthy natural soil
- Cooking from the Garden: Learn about the healthy benefits of different produce from the garden and how to cook it in nutritious and delicious ways
Additionally, all Fruits and vegetables grown will be distributed to families in need, providing healthy options all summer long.
CHECK OUT THE GALLERY FOR IMAGES & VIDEOS
Look Good, Do Good
With every contribution to our garden, donors will receive organic, ethical perks from PACT. Our socks, undies, and t-shirts are produced to high standards of sustainability, with the comfiest organic materials we can find. You'll be giving out of the goodness of your heart, and in return you'll get PACT goodies. It's a win-win situation.