Introducing Rides of Intoxicated Drivers of Eugene
My name is Jonathan Russell, and I spent my life watching my father drink and drive, endangering the community in the process. It became my goal to try to figure out a way to help reduce drunk driving in the local communities.
After going to school for Business Management, and meeting the person who would end up convincing me to start this, RIDE was born.RIDE Eugene offers free, sober rides home for intoxicated drivers and their vehicles in the Eugene/Springfield metro area, in Lane County, Oregon.
Dram Shop Law and Community Safety
There are two reasons we are providing this service:
The first one is that there were over 14,000 DUII incidents in 2011, 97 of which resulted in fatalities. That is entirely too many incidents, and it is time to reduce these incidents and make our communities safer.
Secondly, Oregon implemented a Dram Shop law. The Oregon Dram Shop Act imposes liability on persons or drinking establishments that illegally sell alcohol. A dram shop violation may include selling alcohol without a license, selling or serving to someone less than 21 years of age, selling to someone without a license or identification, selling after hours, or selling to someone obviously intoxicated.If illegal service or sale results in someone's injury or death, the at-fault individual or establishment may be held legally responsible. In most cases, it is enough to show that giving alcohol added to the existing intoxication, and ultimately led to property damage or personal injury.
What We Need & What You Get
We are looking for initial startup funding. The nonprofit has been filed in the state of Oregon, but 501 (c) (3) status still needs to be achieved. We are also looking for additional funds for other legal and marketing fees to get started. Your initial contributions will cover the following:
- Filing of 501 (c) (3) status
- Marketing costs including magnetic car door signs, business cards, and membership recruitment activities.
- Beginning insurance costs
Any funds left over will be earmarked for the first wages for our chase vehicle drivers.
RIDE Eugene hopes to drastically reduce the amount of drunk driving related incidents in the Eugene and Springfield, Oregon areas with the plans to increase to be able to offer something to the entire state within a few years. Your contributions now will help make that happen by:
- Giving us the opportunity to get started providing services that will generate statistical information for further fundraising activities
- Showing that you are committed to reducing drunk driving incidents in your community.
- Allowing funds to be earmarked for additional educational programs to help reduce drunk driving.
Can't Donate Cash?
We understand that some people just can’t contribute, but they really want to help out and be active in the community. If that describes you:
- Please reach out and share this campaign with your friends, family, and colleagues! Share our link on your social media sites, and shout it out that there is a new DD service in town. Help this go viral !!!!!
- Share our campaign using IndieGoGo's share tools
- Tell any servers or establishment owner's that serve alcohol that there is a new designated driving service that will get their patrons and vehicles home safely!
- Let us know if you'd like to volunteer as a driver!
*A very special thank you to Bailey Koharchick for helping us put together our first Indiegogo campaign!*