What's the Point?
Hello, I am KJ. It’s nice to meet you! Project Offspring was born out of a dual reaction of love and frustration. I am a fan of social media as are most of my friends and family. The reason I have so much passion for this project is because as much as I love the community involved in social media, I have yet to find a place that is truly there for everyone.
There seems to be an overwhelming amount of bigotry that is overlooked and often encouraged on some of these sites. The Offspring Project is hoping to change that.
Everyone needs and deserves a safe place to be creative, vent, have fun, meet new people and/or just relax after a hard day.
What We Need & What You Get
We need $35,000. This was the bare minimum we can operate with. We have set our goal at $37,700 to cover the Indigogo fees. After fees, if we meet our goal, we will have $35,061.
When we say “Bare minimum” that’s what we mean! The person building this site, Jonathan Miller, has been kind enough to do the job at a more than 50% discount of his normal rate. It’s good to have friends that care! Luckily, he believes in this project so deeply that he is willing to work at such a low rate to make this a reality. He has even set up a boutique site for the project!
This amount would cover three things specifically:
- The building/maintaining of the site for one year.
- The cost of a dedicated server for one year.
- The cost of a second person (in addition to KJ who is working for free) to work part time to help keep the site safe for all users.
Let’s Talk Perks!
- Email Updates- We’ll send out special email updates to all donors. We will be making private, donor only, announcements and letting you know about the progress the site is making.
- Special Preview- You get in first! After the Beta testing is finished, you’ll get a chance to get in and play around before the general public sees anything! You get to be a part of a special group that get’s to have a first look!
- Beta Tester- You get to try to break things! Okay, no not really. But...sort of! You get to go in and play, tell us what you like and don’t like. Suggest changes or additions. Yes, you even get to try to “Break things!” We want to know that the site is going to stand up to just about everything and you’ll get to see if it actually does!
- Charity Vote- Two months after the site is active to the public, we are going to start the $1 charity. Every month, there will be a different charity to donate to. People are constantly saying that people don’t/can’t make a difference online. I think we can prove them wrong! You will get a say in which charities we donate to in the first year!
- Undying Appreciation- This goes without saying but I’ll say it anyway. THANK YOU! WE APPRECIATE YOU! The amount of affection people have shown for this project in such a short amount of time has let me and everyone working with me know that not only is there a want for this but a need. I am confident that this site can help to fill a void that none of us should have. We all deserve to feel safe. Every single one of us. Also, please know that we do realize that not everyone can give financially. If this is something you are interested in but can't give dollars, helping us get the word out is a fantastic way to help. The appreciation is certainly not limited to those with a bank account. To those that have already been so passionate and kind in the starting of this project, I thank you. We thank you. We can and will make a difference.
If we do not meet our initial goal, the plans will still go forth. If the total is not met, we will take whatever we do get and do as much as possible with what we have. We will also continue fund-raising. This is a project that I and everyone involved are passionate about. Everyone deserves a safe place.
The impact we hope to make is to help fill an ugly void. Many of us do not have a safe haven in our every day lives. Unfortunately, our online lives aren’t often much different. This project hopes to change that. Yes, it is just another social site. At least, we hope that is how it feels. If we have done our jobs correctly, you won’t even have to think about your safety. You will just be safe. That safety will allow you to be creative. That safety will allow you to vent your frustrations without fear of retaliation. That safety will allow you to...relax. At least, a little bit.
Other Ways You Can Help
You can’t donate money? How about a quick reblog on Tumblr? You can’t donate money? How about a quick link on Facebook? You can’t donate money? How about telling someone you know?
Money is not easy to come by. Most people just don’t have it to give. If you are one of those people, you can be just as big a help to us as those that can donate money. Talk about us. Tell anyone you can. You might not be able to donate money but your time is your wealth. Your word is your donation. We need you. If you have a dollar or if you the time. We need you.
Team on This Campaign: