The Pigeonhole opened its doors on Duxton Road in March 2011. Over the past 20 months, we've supported the arts and civil society in Singapore by hosting events, exhibitions, gigs, and talks. We've also made friends with amazing musicians, artists, volunteers, geeks, and many more.
Our friends on Twitter have tagged their own personal memories at The Pigeonhole using the hashtag #pigeonholememories - https://twitter.com/search/realtime?q=%23pigeon....
Now, because of issues with rental, we have to close down. Our last day will be Saturday 29 December 2012.
When we announced the impending closure, our dear friend Cui Yin had this to say:-
"Having followed their progress (albeit from a long distance away) I'm really, really proud of The Pigeonhole for everything they've created in the past 21 months in an environment hostile to everything they stand for.
The Pigeonhole has shown us how local businesses can be engaged in the local arts and NGO scene, from the get-go (and not as a by-the-way/CSR thing).
That if business-owners care enough, there is more than enough space — in Singapore, in our hearts, and in our daily lives — for the arts, for music, for theatre, for literature, for social and environmental causes.
That business, arts and social consciousness can - and should - go together."
What We Need
Our target fundraising amount is USD 13,000 (about SGD 15,800).
[Edited on Tue 11 Dec at 1.00am:]1) If we reach our target, the money will go to:-
- Repaying the rental currently owed to our landlord (about $3,000)
- Paying outstanding bills and invoices (about $2,000)
- A 2-month security deposit for a new (cheaper) location ($6,000)
- The 1st month rental for a new location ($3,000)
- The necessary renovations, repairs, and painting for a new location (estimated at $1,800)
[The above excludes an agent's commission of either 1 or 2 months' rental, depending on whether an agent is involved in the new lease.]
The purpose of this fundraising is to equip us with the resources to set up in a new location and to carry on with our work with the arts and civil society.
2) If we don't reach our target, the funds raised will be applied, in order of priority, to:-
- Outstanding rental (about $3,000)
- If there is any remainder, outstanding bills and invoices (about $2,000)
- If there is any remainder after the above, repaying the loan that we took out a few months ago.
The ImpactSociety needs more independent small businesses. The soul of society needs art and NGOs. We have been a platform, a soapbox, a sanctuary, a quiet Third Place; we'd like to continue to serve this purpose.
Other Ways You Can Help
If you can't contribute by donating, please consider helping us by spreading the word to those who might be able to donate.