Dear Go players and players-to-be! As we all know, Go is an absolutely fascinating game, and we are always searching for more fans, more fellow players, to spread this game. Of course, in Asia it is far beyond popular, but in the rest of the world, there is still a lot of potential.
We want to contribute something to use this potential. We want to make a short video clip, like a movie trailer, to promote the game of Go. Its goal is not to explain the rules, but to create some fascinating atmosphere to represent the game. The novice will see it and say "Whoa, what's that game? Wanna learn more!".
- The result of this project: a 2 to 4 minute movie trailer style video clip, that presents Go in a context that is interesting to anyone even without knowledge of the game. They will pass it one. It will catch someone's eye.
- It will be freely available on Youtube (and without advertisement or stuff). You can use it to promote the game wherever you want.
- You will be part in what will help to attract the next generation of players.
So who are we, and why are we doing this?
- We are brothers from Germany. One (Sven) is a Go player and computer scientist. Inspiring people with interesting stuff is his kind of fuel.
- The other (Lars) is an actor and filmmaker. Being active on stage and behind the camera, he was wowed by the stories and the drama in a game that appears to be so simple.
For us, this combination seems to be an obligation to promote the game.
What We Need & What You Get
We are already talking to some sponsors, but in addition to that, we need an amount of 8,000 US dollars (more precisely: 6,000 euros, which is roughly the same plus some buffer).
- Why? Because we will work with real actors and real movie people. The result will be a professional clip. It was either this, or going out with our camera, visiting the next Go club, and hoping for cooperation (we hope for that, either way! You hear, Düsseldorf?).
- Where does it go? Roughly two parts will go to the crew and cast, another two parts to equipment, make-up, props, catering, insurance, and other organizational stuff. The last part is reserved for post-production, including music.
And if you join us? You can say to the newbies-to-come: "Remember your first impression of Go? I made it happen!" But of course there's something more to support our goal of spreading the word. Have a look at the perks:
- There is always the fame, on our website and on the ready-made clip!
- Need an offline-version for your convention? Need a feature-film-style poster to promote your club or the next congress?
- Interested in your own "moving cover" for your Go website? Or some mini-commercial for your club? You're welcome!
- Every perk includes all unlimited lower perks.
And if it won't work? No problem. This is a fixed-funding campaign. If we don't reach the goal, you get your money back (but unfortunately, there won't be any spot in that case).
And if it works too good? We have some ideas, like:
- 15,000: 5.1 Full Surround Mix, plus a comic version of the spot, ready for download and as a printable booklet, useable for promotion by everyone.
- 20,000: We will address a second spot, based on ideas you can (a) contribute and (b) decide on!
There is a difference between explaining the game and showing the feel of it. It's great that the rules are that easy, and everybody who is already interested in Go will definitely learn them. But we target at the casual Youtube-watcher-and-video-sharer. The spot shall be worth viewing without knowing anything about Go. Without wanting to learn it.
But by spreading it, it will reach the ones that are longing for a game like Go. They will learn about it. They will play.
Other Ways You Can Help
Go is international. Go crosses borders. We are going to have subtitles in as many languages as possible. To achieve that, we are in need of translators and proofreaders. So whatever language you speak as a native language, if you are interested in helping us, write us an email!
And the most important things of all:
- Play Go!
- Spread the word.
- Have lots of nice games!