Growing Roots: Empowering families of children with special needs.
Being told that your child has a special need changes your life course.
Questions such as ones below occupy your thoughts:
“What does this diagnosis mean? Who can help me in my community? I am so sad, angry, tired- what can I do about it? How can I help my child? Who are all these specialists and what should I ask them? How do I work with the school district? How can I care for the rest of my family?”
Growing Roots, an Austin-based nonprofit organization is here to provide parents with hands-on information, resources and support and anwers to the questions above. Our programming is free of cost to parents, offered in Spanish and English, and includes classes, support groups, case management and Family Fun Days. Growing Roots provides these services to families of children with a variety of special needs, such as autism, cerebral palsy, learning disabilities, Down Syndrome, ADHD, amongst others.
We want to make a video - That will generate interest and funding for Growing Roots in order to support more families of children with special needs.
This video will help the world see...
- What it means to have a child with special needs- getting a diagnosis and the road
- Day-to-day victories and struggles of incredible children and their families
- The incredible power, strength, courage and beauty of these families
- Understanding and navigating the systems: what families have to learn about
medical, education and social services and systems
--Increase awareness, understanding and connection for the millions of families that
have a child with special needs around the world
Funding to create a video that will help the world see these families. As of date, the entire crew has volunteered their time and resources to create this short introductory video. But this is only the beginning of the story- we want to follow these families home and in their communities and share in their world to create support, awareness and understanding. We want to connect you to them.
We will be shadowing families of children with special needs in their homes, at school, therapy, and in their medical settings. We want to inspire a thought movement to generate awareness of the needs of these families so that we as a community can come together. We also aspire that this video will allow more families to connect with Growing Roots and allow for Growing Roots to provide the services these families so very deeply need.
There is a need to...
- Change the way the world views families of children with special needs.
- Create a community of families that can benefit from infromation, resrouces, support and empowerement through Growing Roots.
-Tell the story of amazing families that are a living expression of taking the road less traveled.
Other Ways You Can Help
- Help us spread the word!
- Connect with Growing Roots and see how you can become involved in our work in the
- The next time you meet a family of a child with special needs, take a moment to
understand their journey.
Visit us online
Our filmmakers- Cass Studios & Dennis Burnett Photography