What is sLAMPS?
sLAMPS is an open design for a 3d SL (Stereo Lithography) resin printer. I've been working on it for the last few months and have gotten it to the point where it is ready to print -- once I get a good supply of resin.
How does it work?
The printer works using a galvanometer and mirrors to steer a laser into a cured vat of resin. The resin cures at 405nm (which the laser puts out) and turns the liquid pool (Of Zero VOC Environmentally friendly resin) into little Yoda heads and Pink Panther Ladies.
Why do I need funding?
I'm seeking funding for two reasons:
1) To be held accountable for my design to ensure that this design makes it into your hands before people are mistaken into spending a lot of money on something that doesn't need to be that expensive.
2) To accelerate my prototype. Rather than developing pay-check to pay-check, I could make several big investment purchases that would speed up my development.
Big purchases? Like what?
Well, the funding, if received, would go towards:
* Resin Development / Manufacturing / Supplier. Most resin from commercial suppliers is sold in quantities that make protyping cost prohibitive. In order to find the perfect resin, that is affordable -- I need to try a few suppliers, which gets expensive fast.
* Laser Cutter. Currently, I spend A LOT of money on laser cutting service. If I had a laser cutter in my shop, I would be able to save myself a lot of time and money in getting this printer to a shareable state.
Why aren't you selling lots of full, assembled printers?
The printer in its current state is still very much a beta. The preference is to only sell printers & kits at this stage to people who want to put in the elbow grease to continue to push Open SL printing futher.
The printers we are selling are put together and calibrated by hand here in our workshop, and done without bulk manufacturing. Therefore, we have priced the printer accordingly.
What have you done so far?
* Designed and Tested 1.0 Electronics: Laser is processing G-Code and simulating prints wonderfully
* Designed and printed several interations of plastic parts for the printer
* Designed and Assembled 1.0 version of the printer.
* Built sLAMPS 1.0
I need to continue testing the printer. Currently my focus is on getting the right vat coating and build platform to get good adherence during printing.
- Design (done) and Test and Prototype Version two of Electronics
- Get Build Surface Adhesion (done)
- Get First Print (done)
- Enhance printer and software (in progress)
What are the risks?
Risks: I get hit by a car...
Risk Avoidance: Don't get hit by a car.
Since I'm selling kits to other makers -- the risks are low low low. I can already purchase / source all of the parts -- but will be holding off until the end of the campaign incase I can do a bulk order to get more parts for the same cost. This way we can develop more prototypes, and get things up and running even faster.
JOIN THE REVOLUTION!!