My name is Melanie Fine. I am a public high school chemistry and physics teacher and Cornell University chemistry graduate. Having been challenged for many years with the all-important task of teaching the hard sciences to low income students who often lack the basic skills to succeed at them, I have developed a program that has already raised the test scores of students an average of 10%.
My solution is Chem in 10, an online chemistry site that teaches high school chemistry in 10-minute easy-to-understand interactive video lessons. Students watch and interact with a 10-minute lesson, and take an online quiz to assess their learning. Lessons are fully scaffolded, which is teacher-talk meaning the lessons are broken down to be accessible to students at all levels.
As a single mom and a high school teacher, you can image how little money I have to make a go of this. With that said, I have bootstrapped this site over the past year with $27,000 of my own money, and I think every penny was worth it. What’s more – more than a hundred high school students also think it’s worth it.
You are probably already aware that the United States recently ranked 24th and 25th in the world in science and math student achievement.
With Chem in 10, students not only get the expertise of an outstanding teacher, but more than that, their learning is individualized. With your help, Chem in 10 will get into the hands of more students, teachers and schools, and will extend its reach to AP Chemistry and high school and AP Physics.
It’s no longer about how much money we put into or take out of our school systems. It’s about what we get for our money.
With Chem in 10, students’ scores have increased an average of 10%. But more than that, students now love learning chemistry. What was previously a “necessary evil” of high school has become engaging and challenging, and more and more students are enthusiastically signing up for AP Chemistry,
These students, many of whom have parents who never attended high school, are on the threshold of exciting futures in the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) fields. These students can succeed in college, and the “extra help” of Chem in 10 can get them there.
Our shortcomings in science and math education are not just our school’s problem, our state’s problem, or our country’s problem. It is OUR problem. We are ranked 24th and 25th in the world. THIS IS PERSONAL. This is Chem in 10™ -- PERSONAL, individualized instruction in the hard sciences.
What We Need & What You Get
Chem in 10 needs your help! We have so much left to do, and I’ve exhausted my personal funds. I am in the process of producing our AP Chemistry course which is already being rolled out. However, in order to get Chem in 10 into the homes and schools of students, we need funds to keep us solvent for the next year:
- Software, Programming, iPhone and iPad apps
- Graphic artist
- Webhosting, SEO and Google Adsense
- Booths at Science, Educator and Parent Conferences
- Advertising on Relevant Websites and Newsletters
- $15 Contribution - Chem in 10 Periodic Table
- $25 Contribution - I Love Chemistry Magnet
- $50 Contribution - I Love Chemistry Bumper Sticker
- $100 Contribution - 1-Hour Chemistry Coaching
- $150 Contribution - I Love Chemistry T-Shirt
- $170 Contribution - Membership in Chem in 10 Silver Plan, for yourself, or as a scholarship for another
- $500 Contribution - Sing Tom Lehrer's The Elements
- $670 Contribution - Membership in Chem in 10 Gold Plan, for yourself, or as a scholarship for a deserving student
- $1500 Contribution - Chem in 10 Classroom Membership
- $2500 Chem in 10 Small Private AP Chemistry Course
- $5000 Chem in 10 School-Wide Chemistry Assembly
Other Ways You Can Help
If you cannot financially support Chem in 10 at this time, you can STILL HELP US TREMENDOUSLY!!
- Share this campaign on your Facebook and Twitter feeds. (Use the Indiegogo share tools!)
- Comment on our campaign.
- Talk it up to your friends.
- The more outreach we get, the more publicity we get, and the more funders we can attract.
YOUR HELP IS GREATLY NEEDED AND APPRECIATED!