One Night 4 is a freeware indie survival horror game being developed in the RPG Maker VX Ace engine. Its main objective is to capture the spirit of classic PSX era survival horror games such as the original Resident Evil and Silent Hill, bringing elements of these games together in the engine that created trending horror games like Ao Oni, Ib and The Witch's House. One Night 4 aims to bring something new to the indie horror game scene: a completely realised classical survival horror game complete with action, puzzles, an intriguing psychological horror storyline and, of course, scares.
One Night 4 is also the latest addition to Dark Gaia Studios' popular One Night series and, although One Night 4 is also designed to be played (and enjoyed) separately from previous games, provides a conclusion to the mythos of the previous games. The previous three One Night games (One Night, One Night 2: The Beyond and One Night: Full Circle) were released betweem 2009 and 2012 and have been ranked among the best indie horror games by publications such as PC Gamer and Indiegames.com. All three of the previous One Night games can be downloaded for free on Desura.
In One Night 4, you play as Gordon West, an ex secondary school teacher turned failing writer. When a strange package arrives on Gordon's doorstep containing an empty golden locket and a slip of paper reading "Come to me", he begins experiencing recurring nightmares that seem just a little too real. As you survive each of Gordon's dreams and uncover the significance of each surreal place you visit, you'll learn a terrible, forgotten secret and the origin of this mysterious fate that has befallen Gordon.
With all new exploration focused gameplay (with minimal combat, in the tradition of One Night 2: The Beyond) and six dark locations, including a real world and a dream world that begin to intertwine, this will be One Night you won't forget.
What We Need & What You Get
At the moment, One Night 4 is about 50% complete, but it requires essential materials to reach full completion that cannot be obtained without a significant contribution from fans. With a budget of $2000, the resources needed to complete the game can be commissioned and purchased, and the game will be available for free upon release (basically, we don't make games for money; we do it for fun, but we need your help to finish this awesome project).
Currently, we need your help to obtain:
- Custom graphics and artwork including character and monster sprites, as well as science fiction and modern themed tilesets for RPG Maker.
- Atmospheric music and ambience tracks. Let's face it: the game just can't be scary without a menacing soundtrack.
- Hiring programmers to create essential game systems such as a stealth/hiding system, a mechanic that allows the player to switch between the dream world and real world in real time and monster AI scripts. In One Night 4, we want intelligent monsters that hunt you down, and we need your help for that :)
- Concept artwork, logos and title screens to match the game's mood and polish.
- The full English version of RPG Maker VX Ace (we're currently working on the Japanese version, and being able to understand everything would really help speed up development in the future).
Our goal, if we achieve the neccesary funding, is to complete and release One Night 4 for digital download in late 2013. The game will be available through our website and through digital portals such as Desura. Without your help, we have no way of obtaining the resources we need to finish the game, and the One Night Trilogy will forever go without a follow up :(
Please pledge your support today and help us bring classic survival horror back to life! We and all of our fans appreciate it!
Other Ways You Can Help
If you can't contribute financially, we understand (we're broke, too). But you can still help us! Here are some other things you can do to help our cause:
- Like Dark Gaia Studios on Facebook and share us amongst your friends. to help generate awareness.
- Visit our website and direct your friends to play our previous games (who knows -- they may just become Dark Gaia converts).
- Use Indiegogo's sharing tools to spread our campaign through social media. The more people that see us, the better!
Some More Useful Stuff