The world's first All-in-One Home Music Player.
Designed by you.
We love music, and it's everywhere. On our smartphone, our Mac/PC, or in the cloud. Olive ONE gives you convenient access to all your music, through one simple touchscreen interface. And it features our award-winning audiophile sound technology so you can enjoy your music in amazing quality.
No need to fumble for your smartphone. ONE comes with a gorgeous touchscreen!
Not your typical crowdfunding campaign
We are a successful but small company that has developed high-end digital music servers since 2005. So why are we asking for your help? The answer is simple: We believe the idea behind Olive ONE is big--too big for our existing audiophile channel. Here’s why:
We want to build ONE to YOUR specification: Not only should you be able to get ONE in your favorite color and pattern, but also with the features you want. The hard- and software platform of ONE is very powerful. So powerful that we cannot envision all its possibilities. We want you to be part of our development team, and help us realize its potential.
Help speed up go-to-market: Your feedback is crucial to guide our development team, and help us to get it to market quickly. Your input will make the ONE instantaneously successful, because you'll be the driving force behind it!
- Audiophile quality at an affordable price: We have only used best-in-class audio components and finest aluminum and glass materials for ONE. If we sell it through our regular distribution channel, the price will more than triple.
ONE is different
There are hundreds of networked music players, docking stations and other digital music players out there. But none of the other combine all these incredible features:
- Access to all your music through one simple touchscreen interface
- Navigate & play music on your TV via Wi-Fi Miracast
- Audiophile sound quality
- Open architecture for app developers and artist
- Customizable design with fine aluminum and glass materials
- Hand-built in San Francisco, USA
The Olive ONE does. And with your help it can become even better.
It smiles with every track you play!
A true Wireless HD docking station. No docking required.
When designing ONE we thought it would be nice to connect all your portable gadgets and music libraries, and never ever have to deal with connectors and adapters again. So we simply packed it with the latest-and-greatest wireless technologies:
Never worry about connectors again. ONE connects wirelessly to all your favorite gadgets and your network!
Got a stereo? No problem.
The Olive ONE has a digital out (Coax) and USB connector so you can connect ONE to your amplifier, receiver, or USB DAC. Ethernet connectivity and analog out will be available through special USB adapters*.
* sold separately, price to be determined
If you are like us, you love music. So we made sure ONE plays all of it:
- Your favorite Pandora is built-in, and you can also play Spotify and any other music service that you have on your smartphone. ONE is easily upgradeable through the internet, so you can tell us which services we should add next.
- You love YouTube? We hear you. ONE lets you queue and play your favorite music videos.
- Play music from cloud services like Amazon Locker, iTunes Match and Google Play. Or use ONE as your own — subscription free — home music cloud (see built-in HDD below).
- Streaming is great, if your network is stable. Music stored on ONE’s internal HDD (optional) plays instantly, and can be mixed any way you like. No buffering, no advertising breaks.
Plays all your music. Even the bad one.
ONE + ONE + ONE...
If you have more than one room — and we hope you do — you can simply add ONE to each room and play the same or different songs. It takes one simple button-click to connect ONE to your network (via WPS).
Fill your home with music. Wirelessly!
Like most other music players (yawn!) we will offer iPhone, iPad or Android Apps to control ONE (Update: Due to the many requests we have received from our backers we have added Windows Phone 8 to our app development roadmap). Unlike everyone else however we integrated Wi-Fi Miracast, so you can connect ONE wirelessly to your TV. This is a really amazing feature and we look forward to explore its full potential together with you.
Cool apps, even cooler TV interface. Let us know what you want to see on your big screen!
We believe the Music Operating System is one of the key benefits of ONE, and where you will have the biggest impact in its development. It is revolutionary in three areas:
- Smart: ONE learns from your listening habits. So the more you play, the smarter it gets.
Social: Connect ONE to your social networks, and post or tweet your favorite music discoveries.
- Open: As a true crowd-powered device, ONE is built on open architecture and engages everyone that cares about music.
Working together to build the best music experience for your home.
Music lovers: As a backer of the project you are an active member of our development team. We'll ask you for feedback frequently and let the community vote on key features, design issues and other exciting stuff. Your involvement doesn't stop once the product is shipped to you. We have put a "Hotline" function directly into the user interface, allowing you to submit feedback right from your Olive ONE touchscreen and directly to our engineers in San Francisco.
Artists: Our vision is that Olive ONE will become the platform of choice for you — beloved jazz ensembles, garage bands, and rock stars — to deliver Studio Master Quality recordings directly to their fans. The Open Music Platform serves as the backbone. We even plan to integrate crowdfunding functionality so you can fund your projects directly through ONE. A crowdfunded music player doing crowdfunding. How cool is that?
App Developers: Geeks unite! We will be providing a Software Development Kit that will allow you to take advantage of the powerful hard- and software platform and build the coolest music apps.
Graphic Designers and Creative artist: Our goal is to make ONE completely customizable (we need special machinery for this). So you can design your ONE in the most amazing colors and designs you can imagine. We are already in talks with some famous designers that would love to wrap ONE in their distinctive design patterns, but more about this later ...
Industrial Designers: Don't like our design? Tough luck (just kidding). While the first ONE is already designed, we are open to feedback from industrial designers on how to design our roadmap of great new products. So if you are one of the many talented designers out there. We love to hear from you, and will put your proposal up for vote!
Everyone can participate! ONE looks good in any color.
Your personal Home Cloud
We have built HD music servers for more than 7 years, and love the benefits that come with an internal hard drive. That is why you can choose to get your ONE with an ultra-quiet 2.5” AV drive:
- Enjoy instant access to your music, without buffering or relying on your internet connection, Mac or PC.
- Use the Olive Home Cloud Service to access all the music on your ONE, anywhere in the world. No monthly subscription fee.
- Add time-shifting to your internet radio. Play, pause, forward and rewind at any time. Or schedule recordings of your favorite show. Try this with your radio at home!
- Automatically sync ONE with your music libraries on your PC or Mac.
Our team of audio engineers combines an impressive 150 years of experience in perfecting sound quality at Olive, and other leading audiophile brands. And they don't even look that old.
The Abso!ute Sound, Editors' Choice
"The coolest thing since crushed ice!"
What HiFi?, Editors' Choice
"Superb Hi-Fi sound quality!"
New York Times, David Pogue
"Olive has made an offer you can't refuse."
"Olive has arrived to save us from mediocrity."
Rolling Stone magazine
"Gear of the year!"
With your help the new Olive ONE can deliver the same stunning sound quality, at an affordable price. The press thinks the same:
Can't argue about taste? We beg to differ and wrapped ONE in a solid aluminum and glass construction, not cheap plastic. The real cool thing however is that you can give it your personal touch by choosing a color, pattern or your own digital wallpaper. If we reach our extended goal of $1M we will buy some of the specialized machinery and equipment to custom-design the ONE to your liking. It’s your own limited edition ONE. Hand-built in the USA.
Customize your ONE with different colors and patterns!
We’re just getting warmed up.
If you like what we do and this campaign is successful we have many other great ideas: from a stackable speaker system to beautiful LED modules to invisible mounting. Join us to make them happen.
The Olive ONE BOX is a single cabinet full-range stereo speaker. Add another Olive ONE BOX and experience stereo sound with perfect channel separation and soundstage.
ONE looks even good on your wall. Speakers can be mounted as well.
Where Are We In the Development Process?
Though we were already working on a multi-room player in late 2008, the current design and open platform idea was born in October 2011. Today Olive ONE's revolutionary hard- and software platform and its beautiful design are almost finished, but it's "only" the infrastructure (or backbone). We need your ideas and direct participation to bring it to live. Here is what we have done so far and plan to do in the upcoming months:
ONE is not our first project. We have it all planned out.
We Need You
Without your help we will need to sell Olive ONE through our existing audiophile channel. This means it will ...
- Be sold a considerably higher price,
- At a much later time,
- With much less features,
- And without any customization possibilities.
By backing us now, you will become an active member of our development team, and help us realize the full potential of this great product concept.
Use of Funds
We have working prototypes and a supply chain that’s ready to go. We need your help to take the next step. We see the following funding milestones:
- We will use the first $200,000 raised through the campaign to buy tooling and enhance our build-to-order manufacturing in San Francisco. For cost-efficient manufacturing of the aluminum enclosure we need an expensive die cast tooling, and there are additional tools for the glass plate, connectors and cabling that add up quickly.
- We love the benefits of a built-in Hard Disk Drive. If we reach $500,000 we will upgrade every backer with a ONE to a version with a hard drive. The ones that already got theirs with a hard drive will be upgraded to the next bigger capacity.*
- Get us to $650,000 and we will give every ONE free shipping.*
- At $750,000 we will upgrade every backer to an extended 2 year warranty, up from the standard 1 year.*
- At the goal of $1,000,000 we will we able to purchase some of the specialized machinery, equipment and hire additional staff required to customize some components of the Olive ONE to your personal preference.
*Backers must have chosen perk at $399 or higher.
Give the gift of crowdfunding!
The participation in creating Olive ONE is a great gift to give for any occassion. We have many perks at all price levels. All of them have one thing in common: they let you (or your loved one) participate in the greatest music revolution since Apple's iPod!
Here is a quick summary of our coolest perks:
- $50 Gift Card: Your entry ticket to join the music revolution! You will be part of our development team and we will include you in all the decisions we put up for vote. Apply it to the purchase of an Olive ONE once it ships.
$100 Gift Card: Same as the $50 Gift Card, just twice the fun!
- Limited quantities: Get your ONE for only $379. Plus FREE US shipping and Olive Care Program that extends the warranty to two years ($100 value).
And by the way, we ship to 220 countries world-wide!
The People Behind Olive ONE
Olive was founded in 2005 by Dr. Oliver Bergmann and Robert Altmann. We are a team of music lovers, engineers and scientists that have built audiophile-grade HD Music Servers since 2005. Today Olive products are sold in more than 50 countries around the world, and we have developed a small but loyal fan base. Our company is based in the heart of San Francisco, at the intersection of technology, design, and music. And as crazy as it sounds, we also hand-built all our products here. With the introduction of Olive ONE we plan to bring our award-winning audiophile sound quality to everyone, and evolve into a truly customer-driven development and design center.
Dr. Oliver Bergmann
CEO & President
Oliver Bergmann co-founded Olive Media in 2005. He has more than 15 years of experience in building innovative companies. Oliver sets the vision for the company, including Olive’s products and partnership roadmaps. In addition to the responsibility for all product development, his special area of emphasis is on the quality of digital audio technologies behind the Olive products and the simplicity of using them.
In 1999, prior to Olive, Oliver founded and served as CEO of Formac USA, a company that develops and markets peripherals to the Apple Market and that has won numerous design and performance awards. Oliver led the successful establishment of the Formac market presence in the US consumer electronics space.
Oliver is a native of Germany’s industrially dynamic southwest, with an economics and IT background based on a master at the University of Freiburg and a subsequent Ph.D. When Oliver is not developing new cutting-edge businesses, he enjoys sailing, skiing, and other outdoor activities. Oliver is happily married and has two sons.
SVP Business Development
Robert is Senior Vice President, Business Development, and co-founder of Olive Media. As a lifelong music and technology fan, Robert is following his passions to drive the full potential of digital music at home. Robert is directly responsible for Olive’s international revenue generation efforts and the assessments of new marketing opportunities and target markets.
Prior to Olive, Robert was Director of Business Development & Marketing at Formac USA, where he led the development of the company’s online, corporate and reseller sales channel as well as its marketing and PR activities. Before joining Formac USA, Robert held positions in marketing and business development at heller & partner, Young & Rubicam, IMC and German Parcel Logistics, bringing years of marketing leadership and general management experience to his role at Olive.
Robert earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in Business Administration from Middlesex University Business School in London (UK) and a Master of Business Administration degree from the University of Reutlingen (Germany), all of which were awarded with distinction.
Which countries do we ship to?
Olive ships to more than 220 countries worldwide. If you are unsure that we ship to your country please contact us at info [at] olivehd.com and we will confirm. Please always add international freight costs to your perk (specified at each perk level).
Why does the Olive ONE sound better than any other digital music player out there?
If you’re an audiophile, you’ll be impressed by our 32-bit/384kHz Burr-Brown DAC and its dual HD amplifiers. If you’re not an audiophile, here’s all you need to know: Wow.
Home Entertainment (USA)
"The Olive sounded absolutely superb!"
WhatHi-Fi?, Editors' Choice (UK)
"This is 21st century hi-fi: Superb to live with and listen to."
Financial Times (UK)
"A whole-house audio system capable of delivering top-quality sound."
AudioVideo revolution (USA)
"Excellent, punchy bass, plenty of soundstage depth, and great musical flow!"
STEREO, Reference Class (Germany)
"Sound quality and design are top notch!"
The Sunday Morning Herald (Australia)
"iPod-style convenience and optimum quality!"
How far are you in the development of Olive ONE and when will it be ready?
Pretty far. The hard- and software platform and the industrial design are basically done, and we have the first production samples already at our SF office (come by and see us!). Now we need your help to finish the software, buy tooling and expand our manufacturing capabilities. If all goes well we plan to ship the first ONE in July 2013.
How can I control the Olive ONE?
The Olive ONE can be controlled via the built-in touchscreen or our free iPhone, iPad and Android apps. Additionally you can view the user interface on the big screen, if your TV supports the Wi-Fi CERTIFIED Miracast standard.
How do I know if I need a hard drive?
If you have an existing digital music library (e.g. on your Mac or PC) and you don’t want to stream it, then get the version with the hard drive. If you have lots of CDs we recommend to take advantage of our pre-load service (we use a bunch of robots to load all your CDs onto your ONE.). At the end of the day, the hard drive makes you independent from the network. We are also working on a subscription-free Home Cloud Service that will let you access the music on your ONE, anywhere in the world.
How can I customize my Olive ONE?
If we reach the $1M benchmark we will buy special machinery that allows you to define the color and pattern of the enclosure, glass surface and digital wallpaper. We have developed a cool customization tool that allows you to preview how your customized design will look like. You can even save those designs and share them with other backers (and enter a contest to win a prize).
What are the detailed Specs of Olive ONE?
Wireless HD docking station:
- Bluetooth: Connect to your favorite smartphones
- Dual-band Wi-Fi 802.11n
- Wi-Fi DirectTM: Play music in HD quality from your smartphone
- Wi-Fi Certified MiracastTM: Access the user interface and music on your TV.
- UPnP/DLNA: Play music from your Mac, PC or NAS
- Multi-room music streaming: Add ONE to each room and play the same or different songs
- Use the free iOS or Android app to control your ONE
Music Operating System:
- Smart: Using our patented SESSION technology Olive ONE learns from your listening habits. The more you play, the smarter it gets.
- Social: ONE integrates seamlessly into your favorite social networks. Post or tweet your favorite new music discovery with one simple touch of a button. Or rate, review and share your love for music with the Olive community.
- Open: If we reach critical mass (i.e. number of units) the ONE platform will be interesting to app developers and artists. We are working on a Software Development Kit so developers can deliver cool music apps. And we have designed an Open Music Platform that allows artists to bring you studio master quality recordings directly to you.
- Best-in-class Burr-Brown 32-bit/384kHz Digital-Analog-Converter with amazing SNR of 112dB!
- Dual HD amplifiers for direct output to your speakers.
- 24-bit DSP with our patented PRISMTM technology that dynamically adapts the sound output to your brand and model speakers, as well as music genre and other acoustic parameters
- Digital output (coax) for connection to amplifier/receiver. USB for output to supported USB DACs. Analog out and Ethernet via optional USB adapters.
- Dynamic compression technology for streaming music in full HD quality up to 24-bit/192kHz (depending on network quality). Music playback from HDD is always played at full resolution.
Optional hard disk drive:
- Ultra-quiet 2.5” AV hard drive with up to 2TB stores a maximum of 6,000 albums in CD quality, or 20,000 HD tracks. Enjoy instant access without relying on your network or Mac/PC.
- Home Cloud Service: Access music stored on your ONE, anywhere in the world.
- Olive ONE is built out of the finest aluminum and glass materials. If we reach critical mass we can customize your ONE to your favorite color or pattern. It is hand-built in San Francisco, USA.
I have more questions. Who do I ask?
We love to hear from you. Simply shoot us an email to info [at] olivehd.com and we will get back to you quickly.
Team on This Campaign:
Olive Media Inc.
Develop, manufacture, and support
Delighting music lovers
Founder. Campaign strategy.
Makes sure the numbers work
Founder and CEO
Leads our excellent engineering team
Makes everything beautiful