We are the OWS Alternative Banking Group, a small subgroup of Occupy Wall Street. We have been meeting every Sunday for two years. Because so many of us have a deep sense of what is wrong with our economy but don't always have the information to back up our understanding, we have two goals:
- learning as much as we can about our financial system and how it is taking more and more of regular people's money
- sharing what we have learned with as many people as possible
For the second anniversary of the first Occupy demonstration on Wall Street, we produced a short book of 100 pages, OCCUPY FINANCE, with chapters like "The Bailout: It Didn't Work, It's Still Going On, and It's Making Things Worse" and "Starting To Rebuild What's Ours".
We rushed to finish and get a small number of copies printed and distributed by September 17th. The book has been well-received, so well-received in fact that there are people who want more copies, and people who have not yet read it who want their first copy!
This is where you come in! We self-financed the first printing, but we also are the 99% and so we could really use your help in getting a second printing done and mailed to people around the country.
What We Have & What You Get
- We found a small union printer who gives us very reasonable prices.
- We use newsprint, the cheapest type of paper, so we can afford more copies.
- Even if we don't reach our entire goal, we will use the funds to print as many copies as we can.
- We will send all of our supporters copies of the book.
- Regular citizens want to understand what is happening in finance. We don't pretend to have the last word, but we do have a contribution to make to the discussion.
- Experts don't seem to have gotten us where we need to go so far--let's try Informed People Power!
- By helping to finance this project, you are less isolated and we are less isolated--we have joined together to do what we can to bring about change.
Other Ways You Can Help
Some people can’t contribute financially, but that doesn’t mean you can’t help:
- Please get the word out and make some noise about our campaign.
- Use the Indiegogo share tools!
- If you are in New York, come to one of our meetings on Sunday afternoon. Email us at alt.banking.OWS@gmail.com for details about time and place.
Thank you !