Our goal is to collect thousands of messages of hope and encouragement on our website and transform them into handwritten notes that will be sent to the families affected by the Newtown school shootings. All funds raised above what is needed for the project will be donated to the Newtown Memorial Fund.
When the Newtown shootings occurred, we felt helpless. We desperately wanted to show support for the community's families and let them know that citizens in every part of the country were grieving and rooting for them, but we weren't sure how to do it. We noticed that amidst the hundreds of emails, texts and tweets we received and discarded each day, it was the handwritten notes that we really cherished. We realized our affinity for the handwritten notes stemmed from the personal human connection they represented. So we had our answer.
Work we've already done
We are two average guys who believe in America's resiliency to uplift the families affected by the Newtown shooting. We believe so strongly in the project's mission that we have already spent $4,000+ in the past 11 months to do the following:
1. Created a website that is able to explain our vision, collect messages, and supply information to get the note writing process started.
2. Conducted 100+ note writing beta test that allowed us to:
A. Figure out work flow writing process
B. Supplies: Pens, cardstock, postage regulations, word limits
This is a very condensed version of our work, though each portion took many hours. For example, we experimented with 10 different types of card stock (size, thickness), and finishes (gloss, matte etc.) that will give the best appearance while allowing for fast writing. Also, all these features must fit into postal guidelines for a postcard.
What funds will be used for
Project will be rolled out in two parts:
1. Soft Launch: Donors can visit our website and submit messages that will be turned into handwritten notes and mailed to families.
2. Full Launch: The website is open to the general public to submit messages that will be turned into handwritten notes and mailed to families. These messages are "sponsored" by the donors.
Funds raised will go to the following:
1. Upgrading website to handle larger traffic and individualized ID codes.
2. Buy supplies- note cards, postage, pens, staff (to get all the cards written), distribute and retrieve collection boxes.
3. All funds not used for project will be donated to memorial fund. We are not making a cent of profit on this project
Our dream is to create this platform of sending handwritten notes to people in need so it can be activated when disaster strikes. It would be amazing to have this go live shortly after any US disaster- Boston Marathon bombing, Storm Sandy etc... We know America has the resiliency to support our people in need, we just need an outlet to express this!
Thank you for taking the time to read about our story, and support our mission. Please share with your friends.