Our dear friends' houses burned down this morning and they lost many of their belongings including their cat. It's time to help them raise a new beginning out of the ashes and move forward with their lives. Anything you can muster is greatly appreciated and remember that we would do the same for you. Try to step into their shoes today and help with what you can. We love you Pennylane, Kenny, Greg, and Zoe. It's time for new beginnings. Know that your family has got your back.
-Leilani and Jason
"A three-alarm fire jumped between two Oakland Victorians early Tuesday, heavily damaging both buildings before it could be brought under control, authorities said.
Oakland Fire Battalion Chief Emon Usher said the fire was first reported at 3:29 a.m. in the 900 block of 24th Street near Market Street.
“On arrival, the fire was rolling up the backside (of one of the homes) and had transferred to the attic of the building next to it,” he told KTVU.
Immediately, the fire in the densely packed neighborhood was upgraded to three alarms, bringing 50 firefighters to the scene.
Usher said there was the threat that the blaze would move to a third home, but firefighters were able to halt the spread of the fire.
After several scary moments, the 12 residents of the two buildings were able to escape safely.
“We heard some crackling,” said Greg Johnson, who was in bed when the fire broke out. “I heard one of our neighbors screaming and got up and looked toward the backdoor and saw it glowing. I looked out the bathroom room and saw the back was on fire. I immediately yelled for everyone to get out.”
Josh Small lived nearby and rushed to the burning building to help his friends.
“I was watching ‘The Wire’ and I heard explosions,” Small told KTVU. “It sounded like gunshots to me. But as soon as I heard that I heard a lady screaming for help so I called 911. As soon as I got outside she said ‘Help I’m locked inside, I can’t do anything.’ So while I’m on the phone, I’m kicking her door down with my friend whose house is totally burning.”
The unidentified woman was able to then escape and all the other residents also were able to flee uninjured to safety.
The blaze was brought under control by 4:44 a.m.
While the blaze remains under investigation, but firefighters believe it may have been sparked by faulty wiring."
co-owner, second to Leilani of course