What is Mission 31?
Hello, I am Fabien Cousteau. The name should ring a bell - I am Jacques Cousteau's grandson. Like my oceanographer grandfather, I have a love of the deep sea and a desire to explore - for science, education, our collective future and health.
Therefore, in the spring 2014 I will undertake a ground breaking project, called Mission 31. My team of scientists, ocean explorers and filmmakers will embark on a 31-day mission in Aquarius, the only underwater marine habitat and lab in the world located 63 feet beneath the sea off the coast of the Florida Keys.
Our team will test new technologies; conduct research on the effects of climate change on corals, sponges and sea life, map the seafloor, and study the physiological and psychological impacts of long-term submerging such as living in a high-pressure environment as well as living without sun exposure for prolonged periods.
Using the latest camera technology, we will be able to show the world every moment of Mission 31 in unedited, real-time! Thousands of school children will be able to chat with the aquanauts as they share in what they are seeing and studying, instilling a sense of love and wonder for the marine environment.
We have explored less than five percent of our ocean realms - there's so much more to be discovered.
Professors of Marine Science from Northeastern University's Urban Coastal Sustainability Initiative and the University of Delaware CSHEL Laboratory make up the science advisory team for Mission 31, providing us with sophisticated instrumentation, including underwater robots, sensor arrays, and imaging devices.
Why Support Mission 31?
Because we want you to take part in this groundbreaking, sea-loving project. And because we hope that you too believe in our mission...
- To provide children and young adults with both a chance to dream and to experience the excitement of discovery, exploration and scientific endeavors.
- To conduct meaningful and important scientific experiments that can be run most effectively when truly saturated under the sea for 31 days.
- To push the limits of human potential when living in inhospitable conditions.
Mission 31 is a very expensive endeavor. We have some financial sponsors, but need more money, and we want it coming from the crowd. We're trying to make every aspect of Mission 31 accessible to all.
You, via this Indiegogo campaign!
- Skype in the classroom - Skype in the classroom has teamed up with Fabien Cousteau's record breaking Mission 31expedition to present Exploring Oceans, a month-long celebration of our oceans offering free educational talks and live experiences, delivered via Skype, with the world's leading marine experts. The aim is to inspire students around the world to think differently about our oceans.
- The Weather Channel - You can join the dive from home by watching our underwater "peep show" on the Weather Channel.
- Ocean Elders
- Town & Country Magazine
- Wheelabrator Technologies
Turks & Caicos Reef Fund
This project is costing over a million dollars, but we are hoping to crowdfund a minimum of $100,000. If more comes in, we'll be able to reach more classrooms and students around the world to teach stewardship of our seas, and turn our footage into a 3-D IMAX film.
What We Need & What You Get
What We Need & What You Get
In return for your your much appreciated dollars, we have lots of cool and unique perks for you:
Beautiful underwater shots, T-Shirt (design to be announced soon),
Fabien Cousteau's book
Limited edition DOXA watch,
Skype video calls from Aquarius
Join Mission 31 at Aquarius,
Diving with Fabien Cousteau anywhere in the world, and much more. Just check out the right of the screen.
Other Ways You Can Help - The Ambassadors Program Referral Contest
Remember, even $1 helps. But in addition to money, we would greatly appreciate more exposure. Post about this campaign on Facebook, tweet, blog, email and whatever else you can think up.
We also invite you to join our Ambassador Team. If we reach our goal, the top three folks who bring in the most money by sharing our campaign via social media, using Indiegogo's share tools above will win the exclusive opportunity to go diving with me or to potentially join us during Mission 31! It's not just about money - influence goes a long way! For more information, contact me at fund.Mission31@gmail.com, or follow these instructions:
* Referrals to the M31 campaign (http://igg.me/at/mission31) will get you points. When you refer, you MUST use the social buttons on our campaign page and be logged in. This is how we track it.
* You will be ranked based on the amount of money raised from those referrals.
* The top 3 referrers will have the opportunity to join Mission 31 for a day, or another dive with Fabien. (you are responsible for your own travel, and must be SCUBA-certified to dive, otherwise you can visit the site above water.)
To participate, just follow these simple steps:
1. Log into Indiegogo with your username and password.
2. Go to our campaign page http://igg.me/at/mission31
3. Find the share buttons just below the video.
4. Use the Share This Campaign URL code or social buttons to share via your favorite networks.This contest continues until the end of the campaign. Here's the thing though - this offer is valid ONLY IF we reach our goal, so you are dependent on each other to reach as many people as possible! On your mark, get set, go! - and share away.
If your company wants to be involved as a financial sponsor or to offer perks, be in touch as well!
Check out some of our media attention: