In 2012, Banger Films launched an IndieGoGo campaign to fund the creation of Extreme Metal, the final "Lost Episode" of Metal Evolution - the biggest-ever series on the history of heavy metal and hard rock.
Through the overwhelming support of the international metal community, Banger raised nearly $40,000 which funded the research, writing, travel and filming phase of the Extreme Metal episode, making it possible for host/director Sam Dunn and the Banger Crew to hit the road and interview the genre's most influential figures, including Tom G. Warrior and Martin Eric Ain (Hellhammer/Celtic Frost), Shane Embury (Napalm Death), Jeff Walker and Bill Steer (Carcass), David Vincent (Morbid Angel), John Tardy (Obituary), Fenriz (Darkthrone), Necrobutcher (Mayhem), Ihsahn (Emperor), Silenoz (Dimmu Borgir), Joe Duplantier (Gojira) and more.
The funding also enabled us to film some of the most important locations in the history of Extreme Metal including Tampa (the birthplace of Death Metal), Oslo (home of the Norwegian Black Metal scene), Birmingham, England (famous Grindcore hub), and Hellfest (one of the world's biggest metal festivals).
But interviews and travel footage sitting on hard drives is no good to anyone. We need your support to turn this footage into an episode!
What We Need
We're appealing to everyone in the metal community to help finance the final phase of Extreme Metal. Let's prove to the mainstream that there’s a global army of metalheads that support this project and want to see it on the screen!
We're seeking funds for the following:
• Post-production includes visual research, transcribing, editing, animation, colour correction, graphic design and sound mixing, all of which are done by some of the top pros in the Canadian film industry, to ensure you get the high-caliber production value that Banger Films is known for.
• Rights acquisition of archival photos and footage that will be used in the cut is a significant part of the post-production budget. We’re digging deep into archives around the world to find the rarest and best material to include in the episode - but we have to license the rights to use this material. It ain’t free!
• Music licensing is also a big part of the bill. We need to license the rights to songs and performances from labels whose artists we are featuring in order to have access to the highest quality masters so we can bring you the best in sound quality and mix.
What You Get
Extreme Metal will be the first-ever documentary episode to explore the history of metal's most underground sub-genre. Featuring candid interviews, never-before-seen archival material, rare music clips and travel footage from around the world, the episode will bring viewers closer to the personalities and historic locations of Extreme Metal than ever before. This episode will give testament to metal's most misunderstood sub-genre, thrilling both die-hard metalheads and the general music lovers alike.
In addition to the episode itself, we have some killer extended interviews and metal swag available ONLY through this final campaign!
Join Us on the Extreme Metal Journey
If you’ve been following us on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr or Instagram you’d have already seen some of the guys we had the chance to meet during the making of this episode - if you haven’t been following us, maybe you should! We still have some surprise guests up our sleeve, but can’t let the cat out of the bag just yet though! As always, we'll keep you updated as things unfold...
Other Ways You Can Help
This is a call to arms for metal warriors around the globe to unite in the name of Extreme Metal! If you’re unable to contribute with dollars, you can still help us spread the word:
• Use the IndieGoGo share tools and spread the word! Share our campaign with your friends via Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and all other Social Media.
• Tell your friends over Skype and message boards online!
• Have a mailing list or blog? Blast our campaign to your subscribers or do a blog post on how your followers can support the cause!
Join The Coven
• Facebook: facebook.com/BangerFilms
• Twitter: twitter.com/BangerFilmsInc
• Instagram: instagram.com/bangerfilms/
• YouTube: youtube.com/user/BangerFilmsInc
• Tumblr: bangerfilms.tumblr.com/
• Vimeo: vimeo.com/BangerFilms