The adventure continues... The Lords of Xulima Kickstarter campaign is now live!
A 2D, turn-based Role-Playing Game with the depth and challenge of old-school classics and a modern, intuitive interface.
Available in English and Spanish for PC, MAC & Linux.
In Lords of Xulima, we have set out to make a challenging, turn-based RPG in the vein of the old school classics. We're making a game filled with character development, puzzles and often difficult strategic combat. Our goal is to create an immersive environment and a challenging combat system; how you choose to play it will be entirely up to you.
Lords of Xulima is an isometric, turn-based, single-player, 2D role-playing game. It is set on a mythical lost continent called Xulima, where the world makers lived in ancient times. The game features a vast, challenging world where you will lead Gaulen the Explorer and five of his companions on an epic journey filled with the struggles of Gods and Men.
We draw our gameplay inspiration from the old school classics. We do enjoy some of the amenities and graphics of today’s RPGs, but too often they lack the depth and challenge of the games of the past. Our goal is to capture the complexity of past RPGs and deliver them in a modern game. The elements of RPGs that we find most intriguing are the following:
- An epic story: We love stories that are original and not afraid of being fully immersed in a fantasy world. It’s an element that seems to be missing from games recently with the exception of some Japanese productions. Lords of Xulima tells just one part of an expansive mythology that chronicles the world from its creation until its ultimate end. We have no intention of being limited to themes like “political conspiracies” or “faction struggles”.
- A game system that rewards intelligence, imagination, and strategy: We believe a good game should depend on these skills, instead of relying on the player's reflexes, or ability to hit a complicated combinations of buttons in a few milliseconds.
- A challenging environment: Yes, we love challenges. We love feeling small and vulnerable in a vast, dangerous world. We want our “stupid” actions to have negative consequences, and we want our accomplishments to feel like our own, because we've earned them. We don’t want to feel like success in a game is simply the result of a programmed script or tutorial that wants to convince us that we are heroes. When you succeed in Lords of Xulima, it will be because you have played carefully, fought hard and earned your victory.
- More than 60 hours of true role playing experience.
- Create your party with up to six characters, choosing between 9 classes and more than 100 unique skills.
- Strategic turn-based combat in first person view: Battle more than 100 enemies with unique skills and powers.
- A vast continent to explore, with different environments and climates: You are free to go anywhere you want from the beginning of the game, but take care; the lands of Xulima are extremely dangerous.
- More than 30 dungeons: Castles, towers and temples await for you to discover their secrets.
- The depth and challenge of old school RPG classics, but with a modern, intuitive interface.
- Enchanting hand-drawn 2D graphics for landscapes and maps, mixed with 3D, pre-rendered models to bring smooth animations for characters and creatures.
- Available for Windows, MAC and Linux.
- Languages: English, Spanish.
Legends tell us that when the earth was young and void of life, the nine Xulnari, known as Gods by the men of old, took form and descended to the land. In the beginning the earth had only one great continent, Rodina. Over the grand ocean of Mirovia, the Xulnari raised a new continent where they would dwell and they called it Xulima, which means ‘Home of the Xulnari’.
From there, they began their grand work to create life to inhabit the great continent of Rodina. There were many attempts, over many years, but each new form of life was kept confined on Xulima, because none was deemed worthy to inherit the land of Rodina.
Finally, humans were created and the Lords of Xulima, proud of their work, sent them to Rodina. There the humans settled and created many kingdoms and cultures. With the passage of years, the remote continent of Xulima was largely forgotten by the humans, who only mentioned it in their oldest legends.
Time passed, and the kingdoms of the humans grew large and powerful; soon they also became proud and ambitious. Conflicts broke out between the great kingdoms and the continent was plunged into war, dragging every village and community into devastating strife that showed no signs of ending.
It is told that the Lords of Xulima, grieved by the conflict, wanted to intercede. However, not all were in agreement. A new war erupted, this one between the nine Lords themselves. Soon they left the world in order to move their conflict beyond the stars in an attempt to protect the land from their wrath.
But they did not abandon mankind entirely. Golot, the master of dreams, chose a herald among men to end the conflict that devastated Rodina. This Herald was Gaulen the Explorer. Guided by the dreams of Golot, Gaulen sailed east, crossing the great sea of Mirovia to reach the land of legend.
Gaulen and his group will be the first humans from the grand continent to walk on the sacred lands of Xulima.
We are passionate gamers who love the look and feel of 2D games because they allow developers to give their games a more personal touch, making them more original and unique.
To create Lords of Xulima we have custom-built our own graphics and game engine with supporting tools that enable us to create visually stunning environments. Here is a demonstration for you to enjoy:
In developing a game as complex as Lords of Xulima, we needed to make a lot of decisions about what aspects to include and which ones to exclude. Even though we would like to be able to do everything to make Lords of Xulima the best game possible, unfortunately we need to adjust our vision to match our budget. For this reason, we have decided to launch this campaign and ask you to contribute to improving Lords of Xulima.
When finished, the game will be about 60 hours long and it is currently about 60% complete. It will be available in early 2014 on PC, Mac and Linux. At a future date, we would also like to make it available on Android and iOS tablets.
Why fund Lords of Xulima?
Big budget studios today are stuck in cycles of producing one entry after another in the same franchises, each iteration designed to appeal to a wider audience. With a few exceptions, each game is simpler than the last, with the same story lines we have played through a hundred times before, and the same monsters we have killed thousands of times before. Lords of Xulima will be a wholly original game with unique gameplay. If you also miss the complexity and challenge of the old school RPG classics and want to take part in the new era of Role Playing Games, this is your chance to contribute.
We want to make the best new RPG we can, and for that we need you to participate in our campaign.
To thank you for your contributions we have also created some special items for this campaign, like the book “Bestiary and Mythology of Xulima”, which contains descriptions and statistics for all of the 100+ creatures that populate Xulima, as well as a history that begins with the Creation of the World and the 9 Gods.
A successful campaign will let us do many things to improve the game. This is the list of goals we consider most important in making Lords of Xulima a much better, more well-rounded game.
All the money we are able to raise here will be exclusively dedicated towards implementing these improvements, and your donations will be what makes them possible.
Here is the list of rewards. Each level, up to the $80 level (Beta Access Key), includes the rewards from all of the previous levels.
If Lords of Xulima is launched on Steam, we will include a Steam Key with the digital copies of the game
You can also support us by voting for Lords of Xulima at Steam Greenlight
Numantian games is a new studio and Lords of Xulima will be our first game. We are based in Madrid, Spain but we have contributors in United States and Poland. We are a small group of people who are passionate about gaming and we are very excited about our first game: Lords of Xulima.
From Numantian Games you have our heartfelt gratitude for your collaboration. This is our first project, made with our vision and passion and with your help you can make it all possible.
Thank you for your support!