Thanks for stopping by! Loochi did not reach its funding goal but the project lives on! Check out www.tbideas.com for news on this and other open-source projects.
And if you would like to know more about this specific crowdfunding campaign, you can read our post-mortem on our blog.
thomas - january 2013
Decorate your room with colors, play beautiful animations and control your light in rhythm with your music! Loochi is controlled through our app on your iPhone or iPad.
And thanks to the new Bluetooth 4.0, Loochi is really easy to use: just plug it in and start using it, there is zero configuration.
Loochi is way more than a lamp:
- Turn the light on and off in white (warm or cold white)
- Choose any color on the color wheel
- Use one of the nature effects to get a nice and slow animation (ambiance) of fire, jungle, lava, water, etc
- Create and share your own animations (timed sequence of colors and transitions) with the included animation editor
- Download animations created by other users of Loochi!
- Throwing a party? Loochi can listen to the music and automatically generate rhythmic light effects (just like a Light Organ).
And because it is opensource - you can write your own applications to control Loochi!
Loochi reacts to events on your phone such as incoming text messages, facebook updates, phone calls, alarm clock and more depending on your platform and installed applications.
Put Loochi on your night stand to wake up gently to a sunrise animation, or put it on your office desk to show you when your phone is ringing.
Loochi is completely open-source: hardware, software and design wise. All of the source files are already available today under the Creative Commons Share-Alike with Attribution version 3.0 license. You can find more documentation on our blog and we will keep on posting in the coming weeks.
Looking for some more ideas on how you can use Loochi? Try these:
- Create your own color animations and share them with the world,
- Write new event applications for your mobile,
- Design your own shade for the lamp and 3D-print it,
- Build your own mobile phone controlled lamp from scratch,
- Increase the power, change the types of LED, etc!
The LED is a 10 W RGB chip from Ledengin. It produces 510 Lumen, more than the amount of light produced by a 40W incandescent light bulb!
The shade is 150 mm diameter (approximately 6 inches) and the complete lamp is 184 mm high (~7.2 inches). We are still deciding on the exact size (120-170mm) and the material (Plexyglas or Glass).
The base, designed by Dr Jürgen Kienhofer under a CC-BY-SA license is made of plastic with a Chrome plating: a nice shiny, mirror like look. A heatsink made out of extruded aluminium and carefully placed vents help keep the LED cool.
The wireless link uses Bluetooth® 4.0 to communicate with your smartphone or tablet and can go up to a 100 feet.
The button-switch on the base allows you to turn Loochi on and off when your phone is not around.
Loochi is brought to you by an experienced product team that combines all of the skills needed to launch a hardware product like Loochi.
Boris - With a background in computer engineering, Boris has evolved into marketing and management of innovative products with a big wireless provider. Based in Paris, Boris is in charge of Loochi marketing and making sure the word gets out as fast as possible. He is also our lead designer, camera-guy and post-production guru!
Thomas - Software guy by training and electronic geek by passion, Thomas has spent the last 6 years developing mobile applications for big brands. This project is an opportunity to combine two passions: mobile and electronics. Thomas is in charge of the mobile applications, the embedded software running in Loochi and of the electronic design. He is also the guy you see doing all the soldering work in the videos ;)
To support this project, we have created TBIdeas.
Loochi only works with devices that have the Bluetooth® Smart-Ready logo: iPhone 4S/5, iPad 3/4/Mini.
The new Android devices such as the Nexus Galaxy, Samsung SIII and the Nexus 4 and 7 should support Bluetooth Low Energy applications in the near future through software updates (the device's hardware radio can already do BLE). Right now, we can only recommend Android support for developers. During the course of this project we will keep you up to date on progress, links and packages for Android.
New Blackberry and Nokia phones are also coming out soon with Bluetooth Smart-Ready support. We will look into supporting them as well.
As soon as the funding reaches our goal, we will start producing Loochi. We expect to ship in march/april 2013.
In a nutshell:
- Plastic base: injection molded by one of our partner.
- The default round shade: we are still considering different options: either acrylic (plexiglas) or glass.
- Heatsink: Extruded aluminium by one of our partner.
- Electronic board: Yet another partner who will manufacture the boards, solder the components, and test them.
- Power supply: We are buying them off the shelf with a specific angled connector. We will have different power supply for different countries: you will get one you need.
- Custom made shades: Those will be 3D printed by a partner company here in the US.
All the parts will be shipped to us, we will assemble your Loochi, test it one last time and then send it to you.
We have way more details on the materials and process of production. If you are interested, head over to this blog post.
- Why did you choose Bluetooth 4.0 and not Wifi like so many other lamp projects? We think the biggest barrier to the adoption of smart objects is the complexity involved in setting them up. Bluetooth 4.0 requires absolutely no configuration.
- So does that mean that my neighbor will be able to control my Loochi? Absolutely not, Loochi automatically pairs to your phone.
- How do I pair Loochi to another device? A long press on Loochi's button allows you to pair it with more devices.
- Can I have a Loochi for Christmas? We cannot ship one to you in time for christmas but you can definitely build your own and have it for christmas! Read the blog and contact us if you need help!
- Should I have several Loochis in one room, can I control them together? Absolutely! You can synchronize them and we even have some animations that are designed to take advantage of several lamps!