It has been 13 years since my diagnosis with type 1 diabetes, a condition that destroys the body and consumes the mind with the tedium of micro-managing every bite of food that is consumed. It has no cure. Living with an incurable medical condition feels like imprisonment and freedom has become my dream. Now, I will go to extremes to find that freedom.
My wife and I have abandoned civilized life to embark on a journey together and film it ourselves: LivingVertical: Project 365. We are committed to document this year long challenge to climb every single day for of 2012 in the wildest, steepest and most extreme terrain in North America has to offer. Diabetes is my full-time job. The mountains are my office.
We are trying to conquer the unconquerable; overcoming diabetes through the simple act of climbing because diabetes is one of the fastest growing medical crises facing our nation. 25.8 million adults, children and teens have been diagnosed--that's almost 10% of the population!
What is MORE alarming is the fact that there are 79 MILLION Americans who are "Pre-Diabetic". This means that they are on track to full blown diagnosis within the next several years and will rely on inspiration and empowerment to make the major lifestyle changes needed to adapt to this condition.
Why we need your support
How your contribution helps us AND you
1) Medical supplies are pretty vital to my survival and that of the film--$2,500-- Being diabetic has made it difficult for me to buy health insurance, so I have been covering the cost of my medication out of pocket. I am able to make my insulin last much longer because of the active nature of our lifestyle--which is part of what we are promoting in LivingVertical:Project 365--doing more with less!
2) We need to eat to create an amazing documentary--$10,000-- In order to produce LivingVertical:Project 365--we just need to be able to fuel our bodies and our car. We want to emphasize the importance of using items fully, not getting shiny new toys when the old ones work just fine--this is part of how we aim to show the importance and simplicity of environmental conservation. Waste not, want not!
3) Film Equipment--$5000-- We have been using two helmet cams (GoPro HD Hero) to capture action shots as we are climbing and rappelling to bring the viewer right into the action--we have to have something along the lines of a Sony HDR CX700V plus some sound equipment to round out our arsenal to produce the breathtaking shots that we want to bring you through LivingVertical:Project 365.
4) Production and editing--$7500-- We (Stefanie and I) will be shooting the film on our own and doing some rough editing while on the road to keep costs down and to reduce environmental impact (we want to keep a small footprint in the wilderness) but the real work begins once the year of climbing has been completed--editing and producing the film to create the finished product we want you to enjoy!
If we do not reach our funding goal here is what will happen:
The world will end in three terrible days and nights.
We will continue pressing on using whatever funds we have received because this story needs to be told and we are committed to making that happen since we literally have no plan B.
Any money we bring in over-budget will be used to present this film at hospitals and schools around the country in 2013 once the film is finished. We want to take this message of natural fitness as a means to overcome the challenges of chronic illnesses like diabetes to anyone who will listen!
There are a lot of things that we are excited to give you in return for your contribution--please check out the list of Perks to the right of this that we are offering you!
Want to help but maybe you don't have the money to put towards this project? No worries! There is still a LOT you can do!
- Visit our site on facebook (www.facebook.com/livingvertical365) and follow us on twitter @livingvertical. Connect with us and let us know what you think of our project--share our page with your friends and let them know how important it is that kids who have (or will soon be facing) diabetes get outside and get active. This costs NOTHING and is VERY helpful.
- Follow our blog at www.livingvertical.org and comment so we know that you're right there with us or let us know what you'd like to see or hear more of. We really want to get as many people involved as possible and this also is free-fifty-free!
- You can always send us some raw almonds, Clif Bars or PROBARS--we live off that stuff and live WELL since its quite healthy! We have a list of items we could use if folks would like to give or loan them to us as well!