In the Fall of 2013, Portland will become the home of a new independent bookstore, Letterpress Books. We plan to carry the very best – be it books, journals, calendars, cards or games.
We will be located in the lovely Northgate Plaza, joining a variety of other fine retailers, where there is plenty of free parking. Nearby residents are giving us an enthusiastic welcome.
Letterpress Books is a family business. The three of us have pooled our resources, but we find that we need your help to reach our goals, which include providing the community with an excellent selection of books to choose from, as well as a pleasant atmosphere in which to relax and browse.
Your donation means reading and community are important to you. Having a place to find choice books to be enjoyed and shared with friends is a treasured thing. At this moment in time, more than ever, we need a place to explore, get inspired and enjoy reading.
Thank you so much! We look forward to seeing you in the store!
- Katherine Osborne, Karen and John Paul Bakshoian
- We will be a 864 square foot store, located in the North Deering district of Portland Maine.
- We plan for our store hours to be from 9am until 8pm, Monday through Saturday, and 10am until 5pm on Sundays. Our website will include online shopping (for both physical and e-books), an event calendar and staff recommendations.
- We will stock new books of all genres with special sections dedicated to children’s books and local authors.
- Letterpress Books’ goal is to be a community bookstore with frequent events, such as a Children’s Story Hour and Author Readings & Signings.
- We will send out a monthly newsletter highlighting store events and news, as well as spotlighting new books and authors.
- Superior customer service is our mission. If we can assist you in any way, just ask. We will special order any book in print, provide gift wrap and shipping services, and work with local teachers and librarians.
Who Are We?
- Kath was raised in Maine and is a long-term Portland area resident who has worked in local bookstores for 24 years. John Paul has recently re-located from Southern California, where he was a Walt Disney Imagineer for 10 years. Karen, Kath’s mom, lived in California for 25 years, working in marketing for a successful software company, but has longed to return to Maine and finally has!
- We are voracious readers! We look forward to recommending books to you. Talking about our favorite reads is what we live for! Kath has written book reviews for magazines and newspapers, Karen once founded a library in a small town in Maine, and John Paul worked in corporate and public libraries and is a published author.
Other Ways You Can Help
Will you help Letterpress Books achieve our goals? Spread the word! We will post regular updates about our progress.