Hey Farm Buddies!
- Hello! My name is Alex and I'm an Urban Organic Farmer! Currently I tend about 2,500 square feet of growing space at my local community garden (Earthshare Gardens) where I'm also a board member, also, I am the head gardener for the Come Grow With Me garden for Foodnet, the local food bank here in Lafayette, LA.
How the Farm Will Contribute to the Community.
- Providing organically raised vegetables at prices better than conventional produce.
- Organic produce to local charities to help those in need get healthy food need as an alternative to the sugar, salt, fat and synthetic chemical packed processed food donated to most food charities.
- Give a name and face to local food producers and provide a healthy alternative to Big Box Groceries.
- Improve the soil and environment, encouraging and educating the public about how to eat healthy, to grow food and transform the local community and the world.
How the Farm Will Contribute to the World.
- Training new organic farmers from around the world on sustainable and practical farming that can support them financially while helping the environment.
- Reducing the amount of pollution and chemicals released into the environment and making food production a positive activity rather than contributing to climate change.
How We Are Going to Farm.
- Using the SPIN Farming method- using one half acre of raised beds with intensive plantings.
- Using city compost to enrich the soil.
- Collect manure from local farmers for soil fertilization.
- Start small rabbit hutch for manure production to convert garden waste to fertilizer.
What We Need To Get Farming!
- 1-4 acres of land
- Startup Operating Capital
- Farmers Market Vendor Insurance
- General Farm Liability Insurance
- A Small Greenhouse
- A Walk-In Cooler for Vegetables
- Spin Farming Startup Books
- Small Biodiesel Pickup Truck
- A Biodiesel Powered Walk Behind Tractor
- City Water Meter or Cistern System
- A State Certified Commercial Scale
What If We Don't Reach Our Financial Goal?
- I'm in it for the long haul, but I don't have the financial backing to get started. Any amount that the campaign raises will help me get to my goal of establishing a life as an organic farmer and to help my community and our world to become a better place to live and be healthy.
What If the Campaign Exceeds our Goal?
- It would be an opportunity to move closer to the markets and to establish an organic growers co-op where we could bring in large quantities of organically certified products at affordable prices for local farmers and gardeners. In the local area, organic soil amendments like organic alfalfa meal are unavailable unless shipped in at a cost higher than the product itself. By buying together in bulk we can make these products available and affordable and make it possible for local farmers and gardeners to move away from conventional harmful practices.
Where We Gonna Sell?
- Local Farmers Markets around the Lafayette, Louisiana area.
- Acadiana Farmers Market
- Freetown Farmers Market
Organic Earth Tender