With Kinoma Create, you can create personal projects, consumer electronics, and Internet of Things prototypes more quickly and easily than ever before.
It's designed to be the fastest way to go from a product concept to a fully realized, Internet-connected prototype.
Bare boards like Arduino and Raspberry Pi are amazing for their audience — we love these products and all the wonderful projects they have inspired. Kinoma Create was designed to enable a broader audience to join the party. It lets you make all the same sorts of things, but helps you skip the tedious and difficult details to get straight to the fun stuff.
Why is Kinoma Create especially good at prototyping smart consumer electronics and Internet of Things devices? Because they share the need to talk to other devices, phones, and tablets, to connect to sensors in order to interact with their environment, and to talk with web services. And Kinoma Create makes all of that simple.
Makers and product designers typically start with a bare, single-board computer. They’re cheap, but starting with a bare board means spending more money and a lot of time — often a week or two — just getting the basics to work so you have something suitable to prototype with.
Kinoma Create is a new type of “plug-and-play” design tool. It comes fully assembled and ready for prototyping, and includes everything you need to start coding and seeing results fast.
At SXSW in Austin, we’re demonstrating fun, sophisticated projects built by makers who received their Kinoma Create just weeks ago.
Inside Kinoma Create is a power efficient ARM CPU, Wi‑Fi and Bluetooth connectivity, a capacitive color touch screen, and tons of I/O for sensors — all nicely integrated, all ready to go right out of the box.
Kinoma Create comes with its own integrated development environment (IDE), Kinoma Studio, that includes lots of sample projects to adapt and learn from. Wireless debugging helps make that process a pleasure. And a great, built-in simulator lets you code and test even when your Kinoma Create isn’t nearby.
The same IDE lets you easily create Android and iOS “companion” apps for your creations, using the same exact platform — and the same code! — that you’ll use to develop with Kinoma Create.
We designed and built the hardware and software together from scratch to help:
- Makers build projects with less hassle — You’ll be at “hello world” within an hour of unboxing, and can focus on the fun parts of your project instead of the drudgery of starting from zero
- Product designers build prototypes and products faster — Not only can you rapidly create and test portable prototypes, but you can ship real consumer products on the same platform
We’re a small team of passionate product people within semiconductor giant Marvell. Marvell’s chips are in wildly popular consumer electronics products, including Google Chromecast, HP Slate, Samsung Tablets, and Lenovo Smart TVs.
Kinoma Create is designed to make this powerful hardware — combined with the best development software — available to everyone from first-time makers to professional product designers, so you can turn your own vision into a real product.
Crowdfunding is behind so much of the innovation in hardware development, consumer electronics advances, and product prototyping. A natural next step in bringing Kinoma Create to market was coming to Indiegogo. We are excited to connect here with a thriving community of Creators working on projects.
We would love to hear any and all feedback from you on how to make Kinoma Create even better. Kinoma Create is all about you and your ideas!
For the perks that include at least one Kinoma Create, you get some great stuff:
- The Kinoma Studio development environment
- Early access to documentation and support resources
- Exclusive access to a private forum where you can speak directly with our team and other Kinoma Create enthusiasts
- Our sincere gratitude in the form of good karma and happy thoughts, a "thank you" page on our site where we’ll link to you and your company, and a "forever follow" on Twitter (if Twitter is a thing you do)
There’s one more special perk — the Kinoma Create Insider perk is your VIP pass to the project, with deep access to our team and a golden ticket to an exclusive, in-person developer event. You’ll also receive 10 hours of expert assistance from our team’s experts in industrial design, user experience, and/or software development. (This offer is only valid for individuals and start-ups with 6 employees or fewer.)
We’re also announcing our first two stretch goals:
- When we hit $15K, we’ll schedule our first Kinoma Creator webinar — a one-day introduction to our platform and tools that will be open to all contributors. Can’t make it? We’ll also make video available after the event.
We've got a bunch more exciting stretch goals planned, and we’ll reveal them as contributions rise.
We chose $10K (about 120 units) as our goal because we think that’s the minimum number of Kinoma Creates we need to get out into the world in order to jumpstart a thriving community of Creators. On the off chance that we don’t meet the goal, we’ll still deliver on the perks.
- QVGA capacitive touch screen
- 800 MHz ARM SoC (Marvell Aspen System-on-a-Chip)
- Wi-Fi (802.11b/g/n) and Bluetooth wireless connectivity
- USB 2.0, including USB OTG (On-The-Go)
- microSD slot
- Speaker and microphone
- Wired (USB) and wireless (with optional battery) power options
- No breadboard required for many breakout-board-based sensors
- Custom, lightweight Linux distribution to support the Kinoma platform
- Digital input/output (20-36 GPIO, configurable), analog input (0-16, configurable), I2C (1 physical bus and two soft buses), UART (1 physical bus and 2 soft buses), PWM (3)
- Wireless debugging
- Runs on Windows and Mac OS X
- Create apps for iOS and Android as well as Kinoma Create — perfect for "companion apps" for your Kinoma creations
- Includes a bunch of sample code
- The app and services platform at the heart of Kinoma Create
- An incredible breadth and depth of standards-based services, including media support, network communication, discovery protocols, and lots more
- Created by architects of QuickTime, Apple Media Tool, and iShell
- Earlier generations of platform powered millions of consumer products
- On track to be open-sourced in Q4 2014
This is our first crowdfunded effort. We’re approaching it with a humble heart, and at the same time we’re incredibly excited to share the result of several years of software and hardware design.
In addition to our focus on makers and professional designers, we also have a huge personal interest in education. Our greatest joy would be not only if we could help enthusiasts and pros alike but also enable a new generation of those audiences.
Thank you for reading this far. We’d be honored to accept your pledge.
Help us get the word out! Let your friends and followers know what we’re doing to move the Internet of Things forward. Use the Indiegogo "share tools" that appear after you contribute to share to social media services, add a widget to your blog or personal site, or send an email.
If you want to talk about us on a blog or news site, we’d love to hear from you at email@example.com. We’d be happy to give you a personal scoop.
All perks include U.S. shipping. For international shipping, add $30 USD to your contribution or make an additional contribution for the "International Shipping" perk.