Goal: take back America's food system, step by step.
Safe, nutritious, responsible food choices should be affordable and accessible to all Americans, not a luxury for a privileged few. Our food and agriculture system is a giant, tangled mess, and only we the people can change the system. A more transparent, less skewed food market would benefit everybody.
Step 1: Vote to Label Genetically Engineered Food (Prop 37)
.... aka "mutant asses" (see video)
This is only the first step in a marathon movement to reshape America's food system into one that serves consumers, farmers, and food producers on a level playing field. (See section below, What happens in California Doesn't Stay in California.)
I'm running an unparalleled ad campaign on Facebook, and your funds will help reach more people.
The money raised will go to the Prop 37 campaign, and I'm personally helping manage how it's spent: on one of the most successful ad campaigns of all time. (Click into this slideshow to see details -- our ads have been stunningly, mind-blowingly successful already!).
After two weeks, our mesage has reached millions of people, and it's on track to reach everybody in California multiple times if we reach the funding goal.
Who am I, and what was I thinking?
I'm Ali Partovi, internet entrepreneur, startup advisor, and wannabe musician. I was among the first investors in Dropbox and Zappos, two companies I love. My own startups, LinkExchange, Garageband.com, and iLike, were all based on empowering the little guy and successfully leveraging the Internet's grass-roots power. I've also done my share of stupid stuff.
A few weeks ago I realized there's something different about this vote than other political races. I realized this is not just about transparency, but also about the balance of power in America. I realized this vote is the culmination of an extraordinary movement started by a California mom and carried forward by millions of ordinary people. So I decided to add my voice. I hope you'll add yours!
$50,000 MATCHING FUND
$1 from you + $1 from me = $2 to the campaign
I care about this cause passionately and I'm putting my money where my mouth is. I'm personally pledging $50k in matching funds, so every dollar you contribute will have double the impact.
Do you have the right to know what's in your food?
On Nov 6, California voters will be asked to decide if genetically engineered food should be labeled. Join us in support of Prop 37, the basic right to know what's in our food!
- Some foods are genetically-engineered. ie, plants or animals invented in a lab by splicing genes. For example, salmon that's part eel. Yes, really.
- In the USA, these frankenfoods aren't labeled. They don't tell you when your food contains mutant ingredients.
- It's time we caught up to Russia, India, & China's food standards. WTF! 60 other countries, incl all of Europe, Japan, Brazil, Russia, India, and even China require genetically engineered foods to be labeled. Russia has banned them because of studies showing they caused massive tumors in rats.
- We don't need no politicians or corporations. This Nov 6, the people decide. All we gotta do is stand together and spread the word. Please donate money to spread the word faster and win this.
David vs. Goliath
The big food and chemical corporations like Monsanto, Pepsi, and Kelloggs are spending millions on deceptive commercials to confuse voters. They've been caught red-handed lying, even forced to pull their ads.
Please donate $$ to help prove that the power of crowdfunding can beat corporate bankrolls. The voice of ordinary people coming together on the internet is stronger than the voice of deceptive TV commercials. This campaign is our chance to stand together and start taking back the system in America.
My goal is to run ads on Facebook, where you can't fool people with deceptive ads, because the community's opinions speak louder.
$50,000 goal, and where it's going
I've previously donated $50,000 to support Prop 37, and I've pledged $50,000 more in "matching funds" to motivate you to contribute too.
This is a big investment for me so I'm making sure it's spent carefully. It will go towards a Facebook ad campaign that I'm personally managing, leveraging my unique background in social marketing and internet advertising. The money will be spent wisely and purposefully to maximize impact.
- If we reach the goal, our Facebook ads will reach every single voter in California twice. And some of them will click "Like" and spread the word further.
- Even if we don't reach the goal, we'll use whatever we raise to run ads. If we raise more, we can reach more people, or we can expand to advertise on other platforms besides Facebook.
Major props to the "Yes on 37" campaign: even though this page is not affiliated with them, they're eager to see what we can do here, and they offered up some neat perks.
Other Ways You Can Help / Show Us Your Wits!
I hope you'll contribute $$, but don't stop there!
- Get the word out about labeling genetically engineered foods. Tell your parents. Tell a friend. Don't be shy: speak to people about it. Join the campaign on Facebook. When you see one of our ads on Facebook, "like" it. When this baby goes viral, it will be thanks to you.
- Get others to donate. Use Indiegogo's "share" tools to spread awareness.
- "Show us your wits." Go on Facebook and post something about labeling genetically engineered foods. The campaign is running a contest calling on people like you to post creative messages and photos. You win by getting the most "Likes." A new Facebook feature also lets you pay $7 to boost your post's visibility.
- Don't stand by quiety. It's easy to sit on the sidelines. But this is not somebody else's problem. This is OUR problem. This campaign was started and built up by ordinary people, and we're going to win because people like you are not just watching but acting.
What happens in California doesn't stay in California
This is just the start. If passed, Prop 37 will benefit not just California but all Americans. To cite Michael Pollan's brilliant NY Times essay, this is the moment of truth for a much larger nationwide movement.
This vote is also symbolic, because it is not Democrat vs Republican, but people against big corporations. Voters from all points of view care about what they feed their families, and Prop 37 has strong support from both ends of the political spectrum.
What hinges on the outcome is whether the people in this country can take back control of the system. I'm using Indiegogo, the open, global crowd-funding platform, because even outside America, watchful eyes are waiting to see what happens.
We are California. We are the pioneers. We are the creatives and the risk-takers. If anybody can figure out how to win this, we can. Prop 37 FTW!
Team on This Campaign:
$50k Matching Donor