We've extended the iLumi campaign. View the new campaign and contribute at www.indiegogo.com/iLumi
“Interested in installing LED lights that you can control remotely, but not so interested in rewiring your whole house? You might want to look into new technology introduced in late November by iLumi Solutions.”
“When it comes to lighting, most of us live in a yellow or white world. iLumi, a new player in the light bulb space, aspires to change that with a few fresh and colorful ideas.”
A Light Like No Other
Introducing, iLumi, the world’s most intelligent light bulbs!
iLumi is a series of customizable and energy-efficient Bluetooth-enabled LED light bulbs. Much more than just light bulbs, iLumi offers users complete flexibility and control of their lighting with millions of color combinations, amazing programing options, and simple wireless control through an iOS or Android App.
After two years of research, design and development, we are ready to manufacture iLumi, and we want you to be a part of it. Support our campaign and help bring the world’s most intelligent light bulbs to the world, and in return be some of the first to receive iLumi.
The iLumi prototype and app
Bright Multicolor Light Powered by HyperLuxTM
Other multicolor LED lights sacrifice brightness and efficiency for the ability to produce color. Our patent-pending HyperLux LED technology, utilizing red, green, blue, and white LEDs (RGBW), makes iLumi the brightest and most efficient multicolor light bulbs.
Using just the iLumi app, you can customize your lighting to any variation of bright white or rich color light without sacrificing brightness. With whiter whites, brighter blues, and richer reds, iLumis are both functional for everyday use and fun for specialty applications.
Any hue of white or color at the brightest light possible
The iLumi prototype LED Board
Simple and Independent Wireless Control
Every iLumi has advanced Bluetooth technology built inside the bulb. You don’t have to worry about connecting to routers, master/slave dependency, or other complications and headaches. Each iLumi has up to a 100 foot range, and multiple iLumis can communicate with one another to pass on commands and work together, creating a reliable Bluetooth mesh network. Technically speaking, each iLumi uses dual-mode Bluetooth Classic and Bluetooth Low Energy (Bluetooth 4.0) wireless technology that is low-power, secure, scalable, and supports almost every mobile device.
This gives you complete control over how and where you use your iLumi bulbs. Control a whole house of iLumis, control a room, or control just one. Take your iLumis to a friend’s house. For professionals, like gaffers, photographers, or event lighting specialists, take your iLumis with you on location to create amazing effects with the touch of a button. Plus it’s great for commercial locations like bars, restaurants, and nightclubs.
A Family of Four Welcomes You
One iLumi is amazing, but multiple iLumi bulbs open up limitless lighting possibilities. There are four versions in the iLumi family, all of which work great on their own or as a team to create a scalable wireless lighting control system. To order multiple or different iLumi versions, just add the appropriate amount to any perk level.
Size: There are two size iLumis, Large and Small.
- Large iLumi - The powerful Large iLumi bulbs are best for recessed, can, or track lighting. Large iLumis are 100 watt replacements that produce 1100 lumens while only using 15 watts.
- Small iLumi - The Small iLumi bulbs are great for lamps, fixtures, and most anywhere else in the home. Small iLumis are 60 watt replacements that produce 650 lumens while only using 8 watts.
Spectrum: Each size bulb comes in either Full Spectrum or White Spectrum.
- Full Spectrum - Full spectrum iLumis can be tuned to variations of beautiful rich colors as well as bright white hues, practically any color in the rainbow.
- White Spectrum - If color isn’t your thing, White Spectrum iLumis give you the ability to tune your lighting to all types of bright white light from warm white, to daylight, to cool white plus all the benefits of wireless lighting control and programming.
All bulbs are fully dimmable at any white or color selection to create the perfect setting and save energy. As you can see below, we’ve evolved the design of iLumi to optimize aesthetics and functionality.
Large Full Spectrum iLumi produce bright white and rich color light variations using only 15 watts
Large White Spectrum iLumi produce bright white light variations using only 15 watts
Small Full Spectrum iLumi produce bright white and rich color light variations using only 8 watts
Small White Spectrum iLumi produce bright white light variations using only 8 watts
Limitless Programming Options
Along with Bluetooth, each iLumi is equipped with computing technology, including a processor, memory, and real-time clock for endless programming possibilities. Here’s an idea of what’s possible:
- Set your lighting to fit your schedule – Slowly turn on your lights with your alarm in the morning, set your lights to dim or brighten as the sun rises and sets, or have your lights slowly turn off when it’s time for bed.
- Set your lighting to recognize when you’re there – iLumis can sense your location and proximity, turning off when you leave, turning on when you come back, or even automatically lighting your path as you move around the house.
- Lighting for information at a glance – Receive text, social media, and phone call alerts, get an idea for the day’s weather, or keep up to date with stock price movements and news alerts.
- Create and save scenes for perfect personalized lighting – About to watch a movie? Impress a date? Or just head off to bed? One tap on saved scenes and your lights create the perfect mood.
- Create dynamic atmospheres – Have your lighting synchronize to music, mimic an underwater world of rolling blue waves, or create amazing effects like light strobes, fire, candlelight, and more.
- The sky is the limit – We plan to release a software development kit (SDK) so anyone can come up with innovative new ways to use iLumis. Receive SDK first in a Light Hacker Kit perk level.
Checkout the video of the Music Sync application in action by clicking the picture below!
Set-up Made Simple
We want you to have an amazing experience from day one, so we’ve simplified the set-up process to these two easy steps:
- Screw in one or multiple iLumis
- Download the app
After iLumis receive power for the first time, they automatically find and pair with the open iLumi app and create a secured authentication for that mobile device. You can always share access with family and friends who download the iLumi app on their own devices. There are no boxes, routers, master-slave configurations or dependencies -- it just works that simply.
Plus you can always use an old fashioned light switch to turn your iLumis off and on to a personalized default setting.
Leading Energy Efficiency and Savings
Home lighting comprises about 25% of your electric usage every month, so it pays to practice energy efficiency. By combining our advanced HyperLux LED technology’s efficiency with programming and automation functionality, iLumi is the most energy efficient light bulb in its class. And every iLumi lasts up to 20 years.
Every iLumi more than pays for itself multiple times over through the course of its life. Considering energy savings and replacement offset, comparing the large 15 watt iLumi to a 100 watt incandescent you can save about $340. Comparing the small 8 watt iLumi to a 60 watt incandescent you can save about $200.
Savings reflect Large iLumi compared to 100 watt incandescent over 20 years
The iLumi App
Behind iLumi is the iLumi app, which will be available as a free download in the App Store or Google Play. We’ve designed the iLumi app to be simple, rich, intuitive, and engaging.
The app is compatible with all Android phones and tablets, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPad 3 (Retina Display), and iPad mini. When you set up your iLumis, it creates a secure authentication between the app and each light (so no practical jokes from the neighbors). The app is easily scalable to accommodate one or up to 100 iLumis, and comes loaded with a multitude of programs and the ability to schedule commands – well beyond simple color control settings.
Again, we’re also working on a software development kit (SDK) so others can come up with creative ways to use iLumis and share them with the iLumi nation. Receive the iLumi SDK first by contributing to a 'Light Hacker Kit' perk.
We Need Your Help – Join Us in Bringing iLumi to the World
Your generous support will help us accelerate the world’s most intelligent light bulbs to market by propelling us through these next steps:
- Finalizing the design, testing, and certification of the four iLumi bulbs
- Finalizing the iOS and Android iLumi apps
- Ordering parts and components
- Manufacturing the four versions of iLumi
Perks - Be the First to Receive iLumi
In return for your support, you’ll be among the first to receive iLumi. Perks are broken down into three broad delivery tiers available on a first-come-first-serve basis. We'll open later delivery tiers as earlier tiers fill up:
- BETA TESTER delivering March 2013 (200 available) – Receive your iLumis before anyone else. (Free Shipping in US, add $10 per order for shipping international)
- EARLY ADOPTER delivering April 2013 (2,000 available) – Get in on the first large batch of iLumis hot off the manufacturing line. (Add $5 for US Shipping, $16 for International)
- FAST FOLLOWER delivering May 2013 – Get iLumis before they’re commercially available. (Add $5 for US Shipping, $16 for International)
iLumis work great as a team, so if you want multiple iLumis or even different versions, simply add the appropriate amounts to any available perk. Simply pick out the combination of the four versions of iLumi that makes sense for you. Add the appropriate amount to any perk level, and we'll confirm exactly which iLumis bulbs you want to receive and how many of each soon after via e-mail.
- For every $89 pledge get a large full color spectrum iLumi
- For every $79 pledge get a large white spectrum iLumi
- For every $69 pledge get a small full color spectrum iLumi
- For every $59 pledge get a small white spectrum iLumi
Shipping is per order, and to help adding things up.
A few of the rich colors produced by the iLumi prototypes
The iLumi Team
Our team is led by co-founders Corey Egan and Swapnil Bora out of the Alcatel-Lucent Gravity Center, an entrepreneurial incubator in Dallas, Texas. With a combined 12 years of high-tech experience, Corey and Swapnil’s affinity for lighting, mobility, and technology has been a major part of their lives. The rest of the iLumi crew based in Dallas and India is a talented mix of engineers, designers, and advisors.
We are also supported by a world class partner network including leading LED and computing manufacturers, wireless communications and LED experts, and sourcing and operations partners.
Further, our team and technology have received numerous awards and accolades:
- Semi-finalist -SxSw Eco Start-up Showcase, October 2012
- Most Promising Company – Rice Alliance CleanTech and Energy Venture Showcase, September 2012
- Semi-finalist – CleanTech Open Accelerator and Competition, June 2012
- Grand Prize – Carnegie Mellon McGinnis Venture Competition, March 2011
- First Place Graduate Level - University of Texas at Dallas Business Idea Competition, November 2010
- FCC certified dual-mode Bluetooth module with 100 foot range supporting Bluetooth Low Energy (Bluetooth 4.0) and Bluetooth Classic
- Extremely fast 16bit, 256KB FLASH processor
- Real-time lighting control for up to 100 iLumi bulbs
- Fully dimmable down to 5% at any color
- Additional 4Mbit FLASH memory
- Real-time clock with battery back-up
- Compatible with standard E27/E26 light sockets.
- Universal power supply
Two iLumi prototypes disassembled
The iLumi prototype control board scheme
Addressing the Competition
As you can see, we’ve put a lot of work in over the past two years. However, we realize similar concepts have come out recently. Here’s why we shine brighter:
- HyperLuxTM technology – Our HyperLux technology using RGBW LEDs gives you the brightest and most efficient light possible of any variation in both white and color light. So your whites are whiter, your blues are brighter, and your reds are richer.
- Bluetooth over WiFi – Each iLumi has embedded Bluetooth technology for the best experience from start to finish. Set-up is a breeze with no routers, wires, or master/slave dependencies to worry about. Plus, Bluetooth consumes less energy than WiFi, supports proximity, and is more secure.
- Four iLumi versions – With four versions of iLumi, you get an exact match to your lighting needs. With support for up to 100 iLumis in your network, outfit your entire house while getting a much cheaper (and cooler) lighting control system.
- Portability – iLumis only need power and your device, so they’re extremely portable – photographers, gaffers, videographers, musicians, and event lighting specialists, we’re talking to you!
- Time-telling – Every iLumi has a battery powered real-time clock and memory so you can set-up distinct schedules to automate your lighting around day and time preferences without the risk of skewing schedules when you flip a light switch.
- Execution – We have proven and validated technology, a fantastic team, and an even better support network. We will execute and deliver.
These beautiful shots of the iLumi prototype and app were backlit with nothing but another iLumi
iLumi -- Live Your Light!
Now there's only one thing left to do – join us and Live Your Light with iLumi!
The iLumi prototype
What is Indiegogo and what are you using it for?
Indiegogo is a popular crowdfunding platform that allows people around the world to raise and donate money for various causes. Our campaign will raise money to finish up and deliver iLumis. In return, those that support the indiegogo campaign will be the first to receive their choice of iLumis. For us, a successful campaign would essentially act as pre-sales of the iLumi bulb, which will help to prove demand and allow us to ramp up production.
What happens if you don't reach the $100k goal?
If we don't meet our $100k goal we will still proceed with development and manufacturing as planned. However, every dollar counts and meeting the $100k goal will mean a lower % fee paid to indiegogo.
In what type of light sockets can I use iLumi?
The four versions of iLumi will work with any standard Edison E26/E27 socket or adapter.
What are the comparable standard light bulb sizes for iLumi?
The Large iLumis are best for overhead, can, recessed, or track lighting. The Small iLumis are great for most other socket locations like lamps, fans, etc. Technically speaking, the Large iLumis are R30/PAR30 100 watt replacements that consume only 15 watts. The Small iLumis are R20/A21 60 watt replacements that consume only 8 watts.
Will you have an SDK?
YES! There are so many great ways to use iLumi and many of them are yet to come. We plan on releasing an SDK so that others can come up with great ways to use the world's most intelligent light bulbs.
What is HyperLuxTM?
HyperLuxTM is our patent pending technology in iLumi bulbs that achieves the brightest and most efficient use of multicolor LEDs. With HyperLuxTM iLumi bulbs will shine brighter and use less energy when compared to similar multicolor LED light bulbs.
What iOS devices will iLumi support?
iLumi is compatible with newer Apple devices that have Bluetooth Low Energy (Bluetooth 4.0), this includes iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPad 3, and iPad mini. This does not include iPhone 4 and below and iPad 2 and below.
What Android devices will iLumi support?
iLumi is compatible with all Bluetooth enabled Android devices, including those with Bluetooth Classic and Bluetooth Low Energy.
Will iLumi have a warranty?
We will offer a warranty on all iLumis, but we’re not sure what it will be at this point. For our early supporters on indiegogo, we want you to have an amazing experience with your iLumis, and we won’t forget you.
Will you have alternate apps specifically made for tablets?
Initially, we will build iOS and Android apps to work for all types of devices, large and small. Later, we will look into utilizing larger interactive devices, like tablets, to create more specialized lighting interactions.
Will you support Windows or Blackberry devices?
We are considering support for Windows devices down the road but will focus on creating fantastic iOS and Android apps for now. As you know, the bulk of smartphone users exist on these two platforms.
Can I control my iLumis when I’m not near them, or when I'm not at home?
We believe that 99% of the time users will control iLumis when they are within range, so we have not added in out of range remote connectivity. With auto-off, proximity, and vacation modes, we feel there are very few scenarios where you’d need remote access beyond what the wide Bluetooth range and programming options provide. However, remote access is something that we’re considering long term.
Will the iLumi app drain the battery power on my device?
We chose Bluetooth because it uses very little energy (especially those devices with Bluetooth Low Energy). We’ll perform extensive testing on device energy usage as we move through development and share those results, but we expect it to be minimal.
Can iLumi’s be used outside the United States? Are there voltage restrictions or compatibility issues for non-US outlets?
We’ve created iLumi with a universal power supply so that you can use it anywhere in the world. Note that you will need an E26/E27 socket or adapter.
What are the technical LED specifications and light output?
We are using some of the latest LEDs from known manufacturers to build out the four versions of the iLumi bulbs. The large iLumis will have 15 LEDs and the small will have 8. This includes Red, Green, Blue, and White LEDs. With our HyperLuxTM LED technology, the large iLumi bulbs can produce 1100 lumens and the small iLumi bulbs can produce 650 lumens. The LEDs themselves have a life of up to 50,000 hours.
Can I use iLumi outdoors?
The current versions of iLumi are intended for indoor conditions.