Hello and thanks for looking into our project!
Beth and I started Orange Mud to be innovative, different, and to keep manufacturing local. Our passion for outdoor adventures has taken us from mud runs to marathons, mountain bike to adventure racing, and from triathlon to Ironman. Many times though, a walk around the neighborhood or a simple night time hike with friends is just as good. Though we're not professional athletes by any stretch, we are diligent in training and testing the limits of current gear on the market which has constantly left us asking "why isn't there something like....xxxxx on the market?" Hence the start of Orange Mud.
Introducing our first product, the HydraQuiver™, model TH-1.
Our Marketing Tidbit
Tired of bouncing and sloshing hydration packs? How about a waist pack tight around your waist and generating heat. Or the never ending acrobatic battle of trying to squeeze the bottle into the holder that is too small?
We aim to fix these problems. The HydraQuiver™ is a new approach to lightweight and minimal bounce to the running pack market. It's a tiny pack with loads of features. Thick foam pads and extra wide air channels provide ample support and maximum breathability. The water bottle holder is unique too sporting easy access with a wide tapered funnel opening and perfect retention once the bottle is in place. Easy in, easy out. Another bonus? Use a bottle then throw it in the dishwasher. That's hard to do with a bladder based system...
This pack isn't just for runners, it's great for a walk around the neighborhood, pushing around the baby stroller, or for walking your dog. We've found the mesh pockets work great for food, but also for doggie treats!
- Extremely lightweight pack that is easy to forget it's presence once you're off for your journey.
- Funnel shaped extra wide bottle opening for easy bottle storage.
- Food/accessory pockets on the shoulders for quick access.
- Small footprint of the pack keeps heat buildup low.
- Velcro® is kept to a minimum so it stays clear from your high tech wicking sports apparel. It’s a great product, but doesn't play nice with synthetics.
- We also want you safe at night so we put reflective webbing at the bottom of the pack that lights up nicely in the dark.
- Adjustable bottle strap to accommodate different sized bottles.
- A water bottle (24 oz BPA free is included with a pack purchase) based hydration system for easy washing in the dishwasher. Tough to do with a bladder!
- High quality 420 denier pack cloth.
- Combo of newly developed stretch web and HDPE to create a rock solid bottle retention system.
- Aegis® antimicrobial coated rear mesh to keep bacteria in check.
Project History Timeline
We're just over 9 months into development as of today. It's been a long road, but we feel that our project is ready for a large roll out. To give you an idea of the design history, please see below.
0-2 Months - We started this project almost a year ago in our garage by destroying many backpacks (some that I loved very much), and some basic tie down straps for the nylon webbing. We had a sewing machine in our garage that has survived three moves over the years, well, turned out it was broken all this time. So that left us sewing by hand which is certainly not pretty, nor easy in thick materials. Nevertheless our first concept came to life and we ran many nights in the dark to test it thoroughly yet still stay under the radar.
2-4 Months - Once we realized that our concept had legs, we began looking to a local seamstresses for help. We got some great help in refinement, but it turns out that sewing machines for backpacks aren't the same for sewing wedding gowns. Equipment limitations aside we were able to refine and learn a few key steps along the way and further realize that we're on the right track with our concept.
4-5 months - Hiring an industrial designer in Bend, OR helped to get our feet off the ground and moving towards a package that would show manufacturers that we actually had a strong design and were serious about our project. Who knew it would be so hard to get people to want to make a product for a small scale operation!
6 months to present - We finally found a local source in Huntington Beach with a core specialty in backpacks, jump packs and military applications. As it turns out, he was a master at turning our concept into reality. A big thanks go to Mike for helping us get the pack to where it is today.
Present Time - We've learned a great deal about design, materials, resources and most importantly to you, how this pack works. With your project support we will put the finishing touches on the pack and bring this idea to full scale reality. If we should be so lucky to fund, we’ll be making some minor tweaks, mainly cosmetic then will run full production and ship before the holidays!
1. The closure on the mesh pocket will be a bit wider and more robust to accommodate a more secure seal.
2. The grommet for a head phone port will be replaced with a more resilient polymer.
3. The reflective strips on the back will be replaced with one robust strip that goes the width of the pack for a cleaner look and more reflectivity.
4. We're hoping to have orange instead of gray on the elastic loops on the shoulder but large custom runs may delay that.
We look forward to your support and will put your funding to good use! Not able to fund? No problem! If you could spread the word to your friends and social sites that would be awesome too.
Josh & Beth ~ OrangeMud
HydraQuiver™ Padded Back Panel
HydraQuiver™ Funnel Shaped Retention
Wife Beth showing off our product!
Team on This Campaign:
Making It Happen!