Humanist Homeschoolers is KellyAnne and Jennifer, two homeschooling parents who recognized a struggle that some homeschooling parents face when trying to find and afford quality materials that don't have a religious angle. Committed to raising free-thinking citizens of the world and helping other parents do the same, KellyAnne and Jennifer are looking to open a nation-wide lending library full of materials to lend out to homeschooling families for the school year.
What We Need & What You Get
We're asking for a total of $20,000.00
- We expect to spend $6000 - $8000 on books, library supplies, and shipping costs related to ordering our stock. Due to some changes in quotes and some special requests, we expect to spend closer to $10000 - $12000 in this area.
- About $500 will be used to maintain our website over the year while we focus on building our library and serving our members.
- $5000 will build our database for the library and put the finishing touches on our website. We've been able to get a much less expensive quote on having this built. As a result, we expect to spend $1500 on building our database. This means more money goes towards purchasing resources for the library!
- $1500 will be used for promotional materials to help get the word out.
- $1600 will be used to put together classroom supply kits - kits with pencils, crayons, ruler, etc - a product that we will offer to families in need.
- $300 will be put towards helping families who need help paying for the shipping of their "order". The response for help has been great enough that we have decided to earmark $500 for a Postage Scholarship to assist families who cannot afford the postage to get their materials to them for the year.
- The rest of the campaign funds will go towards various small business expenses and man hours. In an effort to remain transparents we want to share examples of this category. Often we make trips to pick up large donations that would otherwise be cost prohibitive to ship - fuel is provided through Humanist Homeschoolers Help. There are postage needs outside of shipping books to families participating in the library. Like a small business just starting out, we have need of office supplies, storage, software, and internet access. Campaign funds not used to specifically fund for the above categories will go here.
Our perks range from a handwritten thank you note from either KellyAnne or Jennifer to having the Postage Scholarship fund named after you!
If, in the unlikely event we do not reach our goal, then funds will be used to maintain the website as is and purchase as many materials as we can while still being able to assist with shipping costs for those who need it.
Our project will benefit many families who don't have access to secular school materials, or those families who cannot afford them.
Many new resources have become available in recent years but the cost for these new resources are high since most authors are self-publishing. Our lending library will make those resources more available.
Many new homeschoolers are homeschooling NOT because of a religious reason, but to bring more critical thinking to the school years and to foster their children's interests outside of standardized tests. Our project will put the books that don't shy away from evolution, reproduction, or philosophy into the hands of the free-thinking home educators who need them.
Other Ways You Can Help
Times are tight for a lot of families - isn't that one reason this project exists? Please consider sharing this campaign with the people in your life that know the value of education.