Sun is a rescued cat - one of many that individuals adopt and help when others have abandoned, surrendered or had taken because of neglect or abuse. Sun is lucky. He was adopted into a loving home from a loving home that could no longer keep a cat. But when these cats need emergency vetinary care, the bills can be staggeringly prohibitive, even for a loving rescuer. Sun's campaign will not only raise money to pay for his emergency care and surgery, but hopefully raise awareness and maybe even raise funds for other rescued animals' veterinary care!
- I'm Amacker Bullwinkle. I've been rescuing cats for 25 years. I've adopted & helped find responsible adopters for BLACK CATS for twenty years because they are traditionally difficult to find homes for. One of my adoptees was the famous Beanflower, who daddy was immortalized in Neil Gaiman's short story, The Price. Bean was born in Neil's hand as her bat-shit crazy mom, Princess, jumped up and bolted when she started delivering her kittens. Beanflower was named by Maddy, Neil's youngest daughter. But BLACK CAT adoption is changing now! So i've broadened my focus to other in-need cats.
- In the past 8 years I've been concentrating on fostering and finding forever homes for the mature cats who are harder to get adopted. Although i have a self-imposed limit of 3 cats myself, I have successfully transitioned a dozen cats in the last couple of years to adopt their own human(s). Even if you prefer a pure-bred cat, there are Rescue organizations that have gorgeous animals that have, through medical necessity, sudden financial crisis, or death of their human, become available and in desperate need of adoption.
- While all adopters are carefully screened for and honestly commit to the care and feeding of these cats, a sudden emergency and unforeseen complications can financially devastate even the most loving and fairly financially solvent adopter's resources. Statistically, 94% of cat owners will not spend more than $500 on veterinary care for their pet. But having bit the bullet and paying for the medical bills as they pile up, once they've passed $2,500 about 50% of owners pay whatever it takes to get their pet healthy again. And if the animal can't be saved, they are stuck, broke and broken-hearted.
- So this campaign is not only to fund the SUCCESSFUL medical care for one cat, Sun, but I'm hoping to raise awareness of the need for financial support, as well as the need for more adopters.
What We Need & What YOU Get Out of It...
- Sun's medical bills, tests, x-rays, ultrasound and surgery for 1 week of intensive care in both the all-night emergency pet hospital and his vet's care total $5230. Any monies raised above that will be given—with gratitude going to YOU who have made this possible—to support the medical needs of other rescued cats.
- Our unique perks include luxury get-aways donated by a supporter of our cause. A fabulous private Mediterranean mansion will be offered to you, exclusively! Other perks range from a 5th row ticket to a SOLD OUT Eddie Izzard show, a Sun-"signed" thank you card, an individually engraved solid brass pet tag thanking you for your generosity, and, depending on enough interest to cover printing costs, a custom SUPPORT CAT RESCUE poster created by a semi-famous rock-poster artist...(me.)
- Even iIf you can't contribute financially, but spread the word and someone you refer to us makes a contribution, we will reward your valiant efforts! Same goes if you do support us financially. If you generate more financial contributions, we will give you a very special thank you gift.
Other Ways YOU Can Help... Get Involved!
Maybe you can’t contribute, but you your help is still invaluable:
Spread the word about Sun's Campaign to all of your friends. Send anyone you know, especially those that love cats or want to help animals in need. Even if they can't financially support this campaign, they can read about the need for more foster homes and forever homes and get involved! And we all THANK YOU for that!
Foster a cat! There are plenty of Fostering programs… check with your local ASPCA or Animal Shelter. Check online for the Rescue organizations for various animals, often by species and breed.
- If you can't foster a cat in your home, volunteer at a shelter, or the ASPCA and spend some time with animals who are starved for attention and who will be thrilled just to be petted every day by someone who cares about them.
- Help get people who meet the criteria for adoption to consider a cat you are fostering. Or tell them about the cats you visit in a shelter!
- And don't forget to use the Indiegogo share tools! Social media is your other Best Friend :)
These are all invaluable ways in which you can make a huge impact on an animal's life, and if you establish that bond of trust with one of these guys, you might get the ultimate Perk… the reward of a purr, or wagging tail… and that look in the eyes of an animal who loves you, unconditionally.