NOW THAT WE HAVE PASSED THE $20,000 MARK, ALL FUNDS RAISED WILL GO TO THE CANADIAN RED CROSS
Help Ottawa's historic Mayfair Theatre buy a Digital Cinema Package (DCP) projector — and stay open for another 80 years!
Celebrating its 80th anniversary this year, the Mayfair Theatre is one of the oldest independent movie houses in all of Canada. In its eight decades of operation, the Mayfair has never been owned by, or affiliated with, any of the major cinema chains.
We're proud of our indie heritage, and that's why we're turning to Indiegogo now.
By the end of 2012, studios and distributors will no longer be making or shipping film prints — period. To stay in business, the Mayfair needs to buy a Digital Cinema Package (DCP) projector.
It’s a big investment, but we’re committed to making it happen. We’re saving and re-investing every nickel we can, but we could really use your help, too.
Please join us, and help keep the Mayfair open for another 80 years!
What we're asking
We've been saving and fundraising in the real world for close to a year now, and we've already raised quite a bit toward the purchase of the DCP projector. What we're looking for now is to fill the gap between what we have and what the projector actually costs.
Specifically, we need to raise another $15,000.00.
Every penny will go toward the purchase, shipping, setup and installation of the projector.
What if we beat our goal?
We upgrade the projector.
Anything extra we raise up to $20,000.00 will be put toward the purchase of a scaler, which will allow us to use the DCP projector to show films from DVD, BluRay, Laserdisc, VHS or other formats.
And we help the Red Cross.
Anything we raise over and above $20,000.00, we will donate to the Red Cross Canada.
What we're offering
What do you get if you donate? In addition to becoming a hero of independent cinema, you can choose from some truly unique and exciting perks, including:
- Being thanked by name in our guide!
- A card that allows you to upsize any candy bar purchase (and gives you free admission on your birthday)!
- Your name on a plaque on a seat in the Mayfair!
- A chance to present a movie of your choice at the Mayfair!
- The privelege to reserve a couch or love seat in our balcony for a year!
- Free admission to any and all screenings for a year!
Why it matters
The shift to digital projection is forcing independent cinemas all across Canada and the US to close, and with them is going a vital artistic, cultural and social experience that's simply not available at the cineplex or on home video.
We helped save the Mayfair when we took over operation of the business in 2008, and we're determined to save it again.
By helping us, you'll be helping preserve:
- One of the few screens in Ottawa that offers the audience real choice, with programming that includes first-run art, foreign, independent and Canadian cinema, current and classic Hollywood offerings, cult and exploitation movies, monthly film festivals and special presentations.
- A unique and valuable venue for emerging and established independent filmmakers from across Canada and around the world, who visit and screen their work as part of our ongoing Fimmaker In Attendance series.
- An important community space for local arts, cultural, charitable and non-profit organizations.
- An architectural landmark that was declared an official heritage building by the City of Ottawa in 2008.
You don't have to donate to help!
Even if you can’t donate, you can help by spreading the word on Facebook, Twitter and other social media — or in real life! Let your friends know that you support the Mayfair — and they should, too! Here are a couple of sample tweets/posts to get you started. Just copy and paste them!
Help keep @mayfairtheatre open for another 80 years! Donate now at http://www.indiegogo.com/mayfairdigital
I donated to help @mayfairtheatre open for another 80 years! Join me! http://www.indiegogo.com/mayfairdigital
Team on This Campaign: