Dr. Bronner’s Magic Soaps is raising $25,000 to provide life-saving mosquito nets for thousands of families to fight the spread of malaria in the region surrounding Asuom, Ghana.
We will proudly match each dollar raised.
Thanks to everyone who has helped us reach our goal with 19 days left in the campaign! The first $25,000 raised combined with matching funds from Dr. Bronner's will allow us to provide 5,000 bednets for families in Eastern Ghana.
Help us Reach $45K!
$25K = Provided 5,000 bednets (Done!)
$45K = Builds a maternity ward at the local hospital
Additional contributions to this campaign will allow us to purchase even more bednets, as well as to start raising funds for our next project to help the local hospital in Asuom to build a new maternity ward and increase its capacity to provide pre-natal care and other women's health services.
The Bronner family has been making soap for 5 generations. The goal of this generation is to carry on the social and environmental ideals of our grandfather, Dr. Bronner. One of the ways we do this is by doing right by the farmers and workers who produce the raw materials in our soaps, which includes supporting development projects in their communities.
We invite you to be a part of an important initiative related to our palm oil project in Asuom, Ghana. Great work has been done there so far. As explained in the video above, Fair Trade funds have provided four deep water wells, living quarters for nurses at a local hospital and school supplies for children.
Our partners in Ghana have singled out malaria prevention as a top priority for their next community project and we need your help to make it a success. We are inviting you to help and support a project that will make a substantial improvement in quality of life for thousands of families in Ghana.
Malaria is spread by a single mosquito bite and causes extensive pain and suffering and prevents people from earning a living. In the district surrounding Asuom, an estimated 40% of the population is infected with malaria each year and a quarter of cases affect children under the age of 5.
It doesn’t have to be this way. Bed nets (also called mosquito nets) offer a simple and cost-effective solution. They create a protective barrier against often-deadly mosquito bites and allow families to sleep safely through the night. And they work: bed nets are known to reduce malaria transmissions by 90% in areas with high net coverage.
What We Need & What You Get
We need to raise $25,000. Dr. Bronner's will match each dollar raised, with the goal of reaching a total of at least $50,000 to provide 5,000 bed nets for families in the communities where our palm oil is produced.
We are asking you to make a donation to support this important project.
Perks and Need to Know Info:
- Every $10 donated will allow us to purchase and distribute a bed net for a family in need.
- We have created a special bar of soap with a commemorative label as a thank you gift for your donation. Every donation of $10 or more gets this special bar of soap!
- We are offering a range of other perks including a t-shirt, DVD, Fair Trade gift basket, dinner with our family, and even a trip to Ghana to visit our palm oil mill.
- On top of all this - we will proudly match each dollar raised.
If you are considering making a donation for a friend or family member as a holiday gift, we expect to be able to deliver perks for all donations made by Dec. 10 before Christmas Eve.
- Pictures of the perks are available under the gallery tab at the top of this campaign description.
- Terms & conditions for the campaign and each of the perks can be found here.
- Note: we can not send Perks overseas for this campaign. We will only send Perks within the 50 United States and the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico.
- If you are having problems processing your donation through Paypal please see this Indiegogo help page for more information.
If we exceed our goal we will use the additional funds to support other critical healthcare initiatives in the region, including efforts to build a new maternity ward at the local hospital in Asuom.
This project is unique because it has sprouted from Dr. Bronner's direct relationship with the community in Asuom, Ghana that produces the palm oil used in our bar soaps. The project is being run by our friends and business partners at Serendipalm, our sister project in Asuom, who are working to identify and meet healthcare needs in their community.
We are also raising awareness of the importance of creating and supporting fair and sustainable supply chains based on respect, transparency and direct relationships. If you support this idea, please consider supporting this project.
At Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps, we think of ourselves as the fighting soap company. The over 30,000 words spread across all the soap labels are the result of Dr. Bronner's life work of searching every religion and philosophy for "Full Truths," which can be summed up in two beautiful sentences:
1. ”Constructive Capitalism is where you share the profit with the workers and the earth from which you made it!”
2. “We are all brothers and sisters and we should take care of each other and spaceship earth!”
For more information on Dr. Bronner’s and our Fair Trade work and other activism around the world, check out our website.
All donations to this project are being coordinated by Dr. Bronner's Family Foundation, a nonprofit organization.
Other Ways You Can Help
- Please help us spread the word!
- Use the Indiegogo share tools! Post and share far and wide!
- Make Fair Trade a part of your consumer ethos, by purchasing Fair Trade certified products.
Please join us and help us reach our goal. Thanks in advance for your support and please spread the word!
Ntontom dan n'aseda nie! – Thanks for the mosquito nets!
David, Lisa, and Michael Bronner