Who is Aurielle and why does she need your help?
Hi! My name is Aurielle and I'm a 33-year-old woman with Aplastic Anemia/MDS. For those of you who don't already know me, I have lived with Aplastic Anemia for 19 years and I have spent many moons in and out of hospitals where I've undergone a multitude of immunosuppressive therapies. In June of 2012, we learned that a change in my chromosomes had occurred, indicating a progression to an even more serious disease called MDS (aka pre-leukemia). After years of being too afraid to consider it before, I decided to pursue a bone marrow transplant as my best hope for survival with the encouragement of my medical team at UCSF and my friends and family. UCSF recently found a matched donor for me but there is no date set as of yet. However, instead of focusing on the unbearably scary wait, I see this time as a gift to prepare mentally, physically and financially for the transplant.
I am fortunate enough to qualify for medicare, so the main expense of my transplant will be covered, but because I am presently unable to work, there are many other financial obstacles ahead. I am starting up this campaign to help pay for $1000 of dental work that is required before the transplant (and is not covered by insurance). Also, though my family has pooled together all their resources and has committed to pay for my apartment rent and basic bills for now and during my post-transplant recovery, I have a major shortage when it comes to necessary expenses like gas money (to and from doctors appointments in San Francisco), quality food (lots of veggies!), and things like auto repair on my 20-year-old car (that is in the shop as I type this). The stress of these amounting expenses is overwhelming, and I am hoping that if I achieve this financial goal through indiegogo, I will be able to resume focusing on the most important thing of all....my health!
What Aurielle needs & what you will get:
- $2,500 to pay for dental work, food and gas before, during and after the transplant.
- You will receive one "Ghost Marrow" CD by mail for every donation of $25 or more.
Other Ways You Can Help
If you can't contribute, that doesn’t mean you can’t help Aurielle:
- Please send this link along to your friends and family on facebook, linked in or just to your email contacts who you think might be interested in helping Aurielle.
- The Indiegogo share tools on this site can help get the word out.
- Most importantly of all, JOIN THE BONE MARROW REGISTRY! You could be the one person out there to be a match and potentially save a life! All the necessary info is available on www.bethematch.org.