Just two short weeks ago, 5 year old Hailey was her typical, jovial, happy self. So when she began sleeping more than usual, Sabrina, Hailey's Mom, didn't think too much of it... A couple days later Hailey's symptoms progressed to vomiting and complaints of a headache. Sabrina's first thought was that it must be the flu and took Hailey to Urgent Care where they were sent home. Twice.
On August 25th, after the second visit to Urgent Care, Sabrina decided to take Hailey to the Children's Hospital of Wisconsin. Her gut told her it was something a little more than the flu. Here, an MRI was performed and the following day they received news that would change their lives forever. The MRI showed a large tumor on the right side of her brain which was causing the pressure and headaches.
On August 26th, Hailey underwent her 1st major brain surgery to release the fluids in hopes to alleviate the pressure.
On August 27th, Hailey underwent yet another major brain surgery where the doctor's removed as much of the tumor as possible. Because of the placement of the tumor, they were not able to remove it all. It was too risky. At this time the doctors took a piece of the tumor for a biopsy. Everybody was hoping for the best in that the tumor was miraculously benign....
The results were in. On August 30th, Hailey and her family were struck with the one word NOBODY wants to hear. Cancer. "Hailey has a Grade 4, rare and aggressive brain cancer; AT/RT (Atypical teratoid rhaboid tumor). This cancer is usually diagnosed in children with no known cause. Her family was devastated.
On August 29th Hailey was released from the Intensive Care Unit and moved to her own room where she is taking time to recover from the first two brain surgeries. It is here where she will rest and regain enough strength to undergo the beginning of what will be an incredibly long road of radiation and chemotherapy. The doctors at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin are predicting the treatment to be that of a 12 month process. Hailey doesn't have a clear understanding as to what is happening to her and has managed to maintain her usual high spirits despite all she has already been through. Hailey is an amazingly strong willed and brave 5 year old girl and everybody is confident that she will make it through this journey that no little girl should ever have to endure. Thank you for your consideration in donating, it will help Hailey's family more than I could ever begin to explain. The contribution breakdown below is based on the predicted 12 month treatment plan.
(PLEASE SEE THE "UPDATES" SECTION ON HAILEY'S CAMPAIGN FOR MOST RECENT UPDATES ON HAILEY'S BATTLE)
Where Your Contributions Will Go
- $9000 - Rent & Security Deposit for Hailey, Mom & Dad - Because Hailey will be receiving chemotherapy up to 6 days a week, Sabrina and Eric are going to move to a 2 bedroom apartment closer to Children's Hospital of WI.
- $1200 - Gas/ Electric/ Heat - for the duration of Hailey's treatment (12 months)
- $840 - Cell Phone Bills - Sabrina & Eric use their cell phones to keep in touch with not only each other, but doctors, nurses, and other family members
- $1200 - Gas - Driving back and forth to Hailey's treatments with gas prices as they are will not be cheap
- $1400 - Medical Expenses - Although Sabrina & Eric have insurance for Hailey, there are still copayments, medical equipment, and prescriptions they will need to cover over the course of 12 months
- $2160 - Food, general cost of living expenses over the course of 12 months
- $200 - Learning Supplies - Since Hailey is missing her first year of Kindergarten, her mom will be teaching her from home as much as the treatment allows
Hailey and her parents, Sabrina and Eric, have an incredibly long road ahead of them and I think relieving them of as much financial burden as possible will make an enormous impact on their lives. Sabrina works as a server at a restaurant, and Eric is a painter/ handyman-of-sorts.
I can only imagine the emotional toll this will take on them, and having to worry about where their next month's rent will come from is hard to fathom. Being 100% physically and emotionally available for their sweet angel Hailey seems of highest importance at a time like this.
For More Information on AT/RT
Other Ways You Can Help
- Pray for Hailey. Meditate. Whatever works for you!
- Share the Healing Hailey Campaign on your Facebook, Twitter, or any other social media sites!
- Raise awareness for childhood cancer!
- Demand from your Congressmen, the White House, anyone who will listen that our government give more than 3.8% of cancer funds to CHILDHOOD CANCER. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE.
Help Us Help Hailey Get Healthy!
Note: The video may not be able to be viewed on iPhone 4s's or Ipads. This is something I am working on and should be fixed shortly!
Team on This Campaign:
Administrator/Friend of Family