Why Harlem Lacrosse & Leadership for Girls?
We believe that we live in a country where a middle school girl with the weight of poverty stacked against her can still achieve amazing things in the classroom and become a leader among her peers. We know that Harlem Lacrosse & Leadership can help get her there, because we have been proving it on the boys' side for the past five years.
During that time, our students have earned $5.2 million of academic scholarship offers on the strength of HLL's work, which includes academic intervention, leadership training, and lacrosse for struggling students in Harlem public schools. Check out more of our work at www.harlemlacrosse.org. With your help, we are expanding this mission to girls.
What We Need & What You Get
- $20,000 completes the funding for our new school-based girls program in Harlem.
- These t-shirts for guys and gals are ultra-soft, ultra-wicking, and a great way to spread the word about our mission.
- The wristbands have helped spread the word too. Thanks for wearing them.
- Thank you letters can be a big deal, not just to you, but for the kids. A letter is an opportunity to articulate one's own personal narrative, something each of them will need to do when they write those personal essays for high school and college!
- We will reach our goal. But if we don't, it's ok. We can allocate funds to pick up the slack and make sure the girls get these services all year. However far we come will be progress.
Sasha Klimczak, HLL's Girls Program Director walked into school on Day 1 last week and signed up 31 girls in grades 6-8 for the program. Many had never seen or touched a girls lacrosse stick before in their lives. These girls will receive the following services throughout the year:
- Push-in academic and behavioral support throughout the school day
- After school tutoring
- 3-4 days per week of lacrosse after school
- Summer camps and summer camp scholarships
- College visits
- The beginning stages of admissions counseling
Other Ways You Can Help
Can't donate? Or want to do more? Here are a couple of other ways to help:
- Post our campaign on Facebook and Twitter. Talk about us to your friends. Spread the word.
- Volunteer with us. Email Louie@HarlemLacrosse.Org for more info on volunteering.