Important Campaign Update:
With only a few days left, it's apparent that we're not going to reach our goal of $20,000. This means that we won't be able to develop (for both iOS and Android) and release the app in May 2013.
That's ok though because we're VERY close to having enough money for a working prototype!
Which is why our NEW goal is $2500. Please open up your heart and donate today. Even just a few dollars will get us one step closer to being able to help thousands of deserving people.
And remember, everyone who donates gets the app for free!
Meet Our Inspiration...
The Gluten Guru iPhone App
What does farro, malt vinegar, semolina, and even Triticum dicoccon have in common?
They all contain gluten, a dangerous and hidden poison to those with celiac and gluten intolerance and it's hiding in thousands of products.
- The GlutenGuru iPhone app will take the time and risk out of gluten-free shopping by allowing the user to scan the ingredients of food items. Our app will determine FOR them if the item is safe to consume.
- With your donation we will be one step closer to reaching our goal of creating THE FIRST EVER iPhone application and mobile toolbox dedicated to making the grocery shopping experience faster and easier for people who have intolerance to Gluten.
>> What Will Our App Do Upon Launch
Because after launch it's just going to get better!
- With newly developed technology it will scan the ingredients in any product.
- If the ingredients are gluten free users will be informed it is safe
- If the item is safe, users will be given an option to add the product to the database.
- If the product contains gluten, users will be alerted and a list of the unsafe ingredients contained in the product will be listed.
- By building a significant database we will be able to improve the users experience and allow us to create new features for the app.
There are 2 phases to our project.
- Phase 1 will involve building the prototype, the database of ingredients, and the app itself. Then we will improve app functionality through extensive beta testing. Our app developer is local Edmontonian @seanhealy.
- The 2nd phase involves more marketing, expanding the app functionality and technology and getting the app in front of the people who need it the most.
We're relying on YOU for your help and generosity. Please help us reach our goal!
>> Where The Money Will Go
Here's a breakdown of why we need $20k
- First and foremost we need to build a prototype.
- We will need to build our basic app
- This will include a bar-code scanner and other technology we will be incorporating.
- We will need to beta test in order to debug and work out the glitches and will have subsequent costs associated with this.
- Ongoing and monthly fees will include hosting, licensing, bug fixes, app updates and upgrades and other maintenance costs
- We will then add new features into the app. Some examples including a sharable/savable shopping list, the ability to scan for other allergens and many more useful tools.
- With our goal of wanting everyone to have access to our app we will need to build our app for other operating systems.
- Although we are both creative and resourceful we will need some for marketing if need be.
- Lastly-AFTER we have succeeded in our goal we would like to buy a bottle of bubbly and share a toast.
>> Who We Are
We're 2 Canadian sisters (Jodie Costello and Melanie Nathan) who are passionate and determined to make Celiac Disease more manageable for people worldwide.
Jodie is an expert at Gluten free living with a strong background in sales and technology. Her son has T1 diabetes and Celiac Disease and she understands the impact of modern wheat and the importance of a Gluten free life. Now she wants to make gluten free living easier for people to deal with by providing more options for food management and being the "go to" guru for safe non-gluten food choices.
Melanie has marketed for big brands and companies. She is an auntie of a child with Celiac. She has a strong background in tech and Internet Marketing and wants to help bring awareness to the plight of people who are having to struggle with an aversion or intolerance to Gluten.
Together we CAN make this a reality, but we NEED your help.
>> Why We Are Fundraising
Jodie is a stay-at-home mom, because she loves it and because of necessity and practicality. Daycare is expensive and depending on the work schedule, it can leave little time to prepare meals, shop and spend time with her family.
Her husband serves in the Canadian Forces which means he can be away a lot, sometimes for long periods of time and Jodie steps up to fill the gap every time. With the typical costs of raising a family, combined with the cost of her sons insulin and Diabetic supplies, coupled with the costs of a Diabetic/Celiac diet there is very little left over.
>> The Impact
"I was just diagnosed with Celiac 4 days ago. Just got home from my first grocery shopping trip in tears. Its so hard to decipher the packaging. I had to carry a 3 page list of do-not-eat ingredients with me, and I was still confused!" - Recently diagnosed Celiac sufferer
Unfortunately, this scenario is becoming all to common.
Access to - and education about - Gluten free foods prevents families with Celiac disease from:
- dining out
- taking part in social activities
- ensuring safe food choices
This therefore decreases their quality of life while increasing indirect costs associated with the disease.
Furthermore, 30% of Celiac disease patients may develop a malignancy (non-Hodgkins lymphoma)! Adhering to a Gluten free diet is CRITICAL for preventative purposes, in spite of the personal costs.
The GlutenGuru iPhone app will take the time and risk out of gluten-free shopping. By allowing the user to scan the ingredients of food items, our app will determine FOR them, if the item is safe to consume.
Technology is always advancing and people with health issues can really benefit from this, more and more people are using smart phones as their "go to" answer. With your contribution, and our technology we want to bring it to a whole new level.
>> Media Attention
"So obviously this will be of huge benefit potentially...Here's your chance to crowdfund this Edmonton..." - CBC Radio
Building New Apps In Edmonton with tech columnist Dana DiTomaso
"This latest app I heard about might just deserve top ticketing on my phone – a gluten-free grocery app!" - Triumphdining.com
"The prevalence of gluten-free apps highlights the potential of smartphones to help Canadians battle chronic health issues... Last November, the Pew Research Center reported that one-third of American cell phone owners search for online health information using their mobile device." - Techvibes
Read it on Techvibes: Canadian App Promotes Gluten-Free Shopping, Seeks Crowdfunding
"The team, which includes Edmonton app developer Sean Healy, hopes the technology will give people more choice when it comes to buying gluten-free food." - Global Edmonton
>> What People are Saying About the GlutenGuru App
"Check out GlutenGuru App. Sisters creating an iPhone gluten-free shopping app. Sisters in biz, pretty cool." - Brian Fogata
"I think GlutenGuru App is going to be incredibly useful. If I'm buying a snack for a celiac friend, sometimes I screw up. #twizzlershavegluten" - Brittney Le Blanc
"TERRIFIC idea for an app!!!" - Mina's Purely Divine Gluten Free
"As someone who has seen a direct major improvement in my health since drastically cutting back on gluten in my diet, and knowing people with Celiac disease, I’m grateful to be able to help get this thing started!" - Alan Bleiweiss
>> Frequently Asked Question
Q: Who is the kid in the photo??
A: He's the worst Waldo ever (because he's so easy to spot lol)! Actually, he's our inspiration for creating this app and our reason for wanting it to succeed. He is Jodie's son and he has Type 1 Diabetes as well as Celiac. As you can see by his pic, this doesn't prevent him from always smiling!
>> Other Ways You Can Help
If you can’t contribute financially, you can still help by...
- Getting the word out and making some noise about our campaign
- Linking to our Indiegogo campaign page from your website
- Suggesting people for us to talk to
- Letting us write a guest post, introducing our app, for your blog
- Using the Indiegogo share tools
- Following GlutenGuruApp on Twitter
- Liking and sharing Gluten Guru App on Facebook
- Following GlutenGuruApp on Instagram
We gratefully accept both Credit Card and PayPal donations.
Email Melanie or Jodie at email@example.com