Let's GLOW Even Brighter in 2013
When we started the GLOW Festival in Santa Cruz in 2012, we didn't know what to expect. We were just some wild-eyed museum staffers and volunteers with a dream to showcase the best of Santa Cruz County's incredible fire and digital artists.
You showed us how much this kind of art matters to our community. Our first year, over 4,000 people showed up--many waiting in long lines in the pouring rain--to dance, play, and explore together.
This year, GLOW is back on October 18 and 19 at the Santa Cruz Museum of Art & History. And we want YOUR HELP to make it even better in a really simple way: by paying artists.
Why Paying Artists is Awesome
The GLOW festival is expensive. On the museum side, we have to pay for street permits, safety gear, and lots of staff time spent with artists and the fire department to make sure it all goes smoothly. On the artists' side, they have to produce jaw-dropping projects, pass safety checks, and be ready to share their work responsibly with huge crowds of people.
We're asking you to help us by sponsoring an artist or two. Every dollar of this campaign will go directly to artists to support their participation. We'll pay for the unsexy stuff like permits and fences. You'll get all the glory.
Our hope is to be able to pay each artist a $100 honorarium and cover their transportation and material costs. It's not much. If this campaign goes amazingly, we'll pay them more. And if it goes super-amazingly, we'll all blast off into the night on a glowing spaceship. Seriously.
What You Get
In addition to the love and affection of artists (and they are known for being downright promiscuous with their thanks), sponsors will receive:
- Advance tickets to the festival. The festival is two nights long, with a focus on fire art on October 18 and digital art on October 19. General admission price will be $10 per night, $5 for MAH members.
- Recognition on the Santa Cruz Museum of Art & History website
- Entry to the VIP party during FIRE night
- Opportunities to get up close and personal with a flamethrower
Check out the levels on the right to learn more.
Other Ways You Can Help
If you don't have cash to offer, we'd still love your help to make GLOW amazing in 2013. You can:
- Offer an artist a crash pad for the night of their performance.
- Volunteer for the festival and help us make it safe and fun for everyone.
- Spread the word about this campaign and the festival itself.
Please get in touch with Stacey Garcia at firstname.lastname@example.org if you can contribute a room or want to volunteer for the festival.