We are 3 pedicab drivers working to create a fun, healthy, sustainable, and democratic workplace! Help us jump-start our new bike-powered business: Sol Chariots Pedicab Cooperative!
We have each worked as pedicab drivers for the last year and are excited to finally start our own business here in Providence! We are a dynamic team excited to launch a new and creative venture that will sustain us and provide sustainable transportation for the people of Rhode Island.
- Ashley is super-excited to be starting a bike-based business to connect her passions for bike riding and her work with the Ciclovida project to the way she makes a living! She is excited to have a green job that is helping to make the world a healthier and more sustainable place!
- Ally has been working with bikes for the last few years after getting trained as a mechanic by Worcester Earn-a-Bike in 2009. She is so excited to use all the muscles skills and passion from the bike tour she did down the west coast in 2011 and is really passionate about democratic workplaces where workers have a voice!
- Dave has been working as a bike tour guide and a pedicab driver for a few years. He's excited to be a part of a green, sustainable, cooperative business where he'll get to use his people skills to provide a fun and interesting environment for anyone who rides with him.
We are raising money to invest in our new venture to start a pedicab cooperative so we get rolling with a big launch in the spring!
We have each invested money, time, energy, and passion into our pedicab cooperative and now are looking for friends, family, supporters, and investors to help give us the final push to get us rolling!
Our goal is to raise the necessary investment to get our workspace up and running and ready to roll! If we are successful in this campaign, we will be able to:
- Purchase a 3rd pedicab to add to our fleet,
- Tune up all of our cabs so that they are ready to roll, and
- Create a workshop space to keep everything running smoothly!
All of these pieces are part of our business plan to shift our cooperative into gear and keep it rolling like a well-oiled [worker-owned-and-operated] machine!
We are so excited to ask for the support of friends, family, and loved ones in making this dream a reality!
What We Need & What You Get
This is an all or nothing campaign.
What this means is that if we are able to reach our goal of 5000$ by January 13 our project will be fully funded. However if we do not, then the money pledged will be returned to the investors.
We are using the money primarily to buy another bike so we will be able to offer that many more rides and tours, and provide moneymaking opportunities for more people. The other funds will be used to paint and maintain the bikes, buy tools, and set up a workshop.
If you donate to us, you'll not only be helping to get this business rolling, but you'll be given some great perks. Everything from T shirts, stickers and hugs to free tours, date nights out in Providence, to a lifetime of free rides. More details available on this page.
This project will allow us to sustain ourselves in business, doing work we love, and helping to provide green and sustainable transportation in the city of Providence! We think this is a big step in transitioning our community, state, and world away from pollution, burning dirty fossil fuels, and traffic-congested streets, to a world where we can have healthy, safe, accessible, and fun transportation! We are so excited to be able to live out our values and passions in our jobs and workplace! Please help us make this happen!
We are so excited to be launching Sol Chariots Pedicab Cooperative, but we definitely would not be able to do it without the bountiful support of our social networks and the community. With just a small contribution, you can help us get the jumpstart boost that we need to get our cabs tuned up and looking great! With enough support and contributions, we hope to get the tools and equipment and one more pedicab to keep our fleet looking great!
We have been working hard on this idea for over a year, and now we have finally had the good luck and savings to begin building our business- buying the pedicabs, registering our company, and beginning to ride around Providence to get a feel for the work here. Now, we want to take it to the next level and start in April 2013 with a full fleet of three bikes that are ready to roll!
Sounds great, but why should I contribute?
When you contribute to the Sol Chariots campaign you are also:
- Supporting small business
- Creating jobs in a workplace that is democratic, equity-based, and worker-owned
- Promoting green and sustainable bike transportation
- Reducing pollution, our collective carbon footprint, and inner-city traffic
If your campaign succeeds, what will the funds be used for?
Each dollar raised by this campaign will be used for the following projects:
- Buying one more pedicab to add to our fleet Estimated Cost: $3,500
- Tuning up the two used pedicabs that currently make up our fleet- full overhaul of the wheels, brake system, powertrain, and the carriage (FYI: the work will all be done by members of the cooperative so only the cost of the supplies will be needed) Estimated Cost: $400
- Painting the bodies of the pedicabs yellow (instead of the kermit the frog green that they currently are) and having our new logo applied to the cabs Estimated Cost: $300
- Re-wiring the headlight and tail light system on the pedicabs $100
- Purchasing tools and equipment to set up our workshop space in order to be able to repair the pedicabs on site Estimated Cost: $300
- Creating promotional materials such as business cards, t-shirts, stickers, and buttons to promote our business Estimated Cost: $500
I’m not in a good place to contribute financially to the campaign- is there another way I can help?
Even if you can’t contribute at this time, there are tons of ways you can help support us!
- Send the link out to your social networks and spread the word about this exciting project
- Share our campaign page on Facebook and spread the word
- Visit our webpage, follow us on Twitter, like our Facebook page and tell us what you think!
- Make an in-kind donation: we need tools for our workshop, help with web design, spare bike parts, and more
- Next time your in Providence, take a Sol ride with Sol Chariots Pedicab Cooperative