About Our Campaign
Rukia Brooks is one of the sweetest individuals this side of the United States. She's passionate about what she does, she cares so much about her friends, and she contributes to the progressive community in South Carolina with such loyalty that it absolutely wouldn't be the same without her. She is also a trans individual and what we're trying to do is get her name legally to changed to who she is - the outstanding Rukia Brooks!
What We Need & What You Get
Break it down for folks in more detail:
- $500 is the minimum that IndieGoGo would let us raise.
- We need an actual total of $230 (we think)
- Required fees for the actual name change:
● Filing fee $150.00
● Fingerprints $10.00
● SLED check $25.00
● DSS check $8.00
Total Fees: $193.00
Other fees include a new student ID with her name on it ($35)
Any extra money will go towards any other necessary legal fees, new social security card, and/or eventual driver's license.
We were hoping to get her a new birth certificate, but South Carolina does not reissue birth certificates to trans individuals. :(
If this somehow goes further than we ever think it will, then excess money will be donated to organizations of Rukia's choosing (we have the Harriet Hancock Center here in Columbia, which is a wonderful place for the LGBT people, for example)
Not only do you get the awesomeness of being you and helping someone out, but this is really meaningful to her (and to her friends who love her).
- Rukia will legally be Rukia - on her student ID, her state ID, and so much more.
- When she graduates from college in 2016, she will be rewarded with a diploma that reflects who she really is, not the name she was born with.
- Help promote trans acceptance! She is a visible figure in the community, and she'll be able to give her name with less repercussions (especially around the university)
Other Ways You Can Help
Some people just can’t contribute, but that doesn’t mean they can’t help:
- Ask folks to get the word out and make some noise about Rukia (and how awesome she is)!
- Share our campaign on Twitter, Tumblr, Reddit, Facebook - wherever you can!
Team on This Campaign: