A New Space for Buddhism & Meditation in South Carolina
Ganden Kadampa Buddhist Center is a 501(c)(3) Buddhist meditation center located in Columbia, SC. Our purpose is to benefit others by helping them develop inner peace and improve their lives by providing practical teachings on meditation and Buddhism.
We're a center for everyone, not just Buddhists. Everyone needs to know how to reduce their anger. Everyone needs to know how to build harmonious relationships at work. Most of all, and especially in our hectic modern world, everyone needs to know how to be peaceful and happy!
At the end of May, we'll be moving to a beautiful new space that will make us more accessible to the general public. To afford our move and our increase in rent, we're raising funds.
What We Need
This $2,000 IndieGoGo campaign is one small part of our broader fundraising goal of $17,000. If you'd like to see our fundraising specifics, visit our website here.
Here's what all $17,000 will go to:
In other words:
- $6,000 will cover the increase in rent for one year
- Another $6,000 will cover all our eventual upgrades for the downstairs portion of the space
- This includes: living room furniture, lighting for bookstore, bookstore shelves, office desks and chairs, furniture and shrine for kids' meditation room, furniture and shrine for retreat room, meditation cushions
$1,500 allows us to make immediate necessary changes to the downstairs space
- This includes: signage, ceiling fans, adminstrative office storage, window shades
- The remaining $3,500 allows us to make immediate necessary changes to the upstairs (meditation room) portion of the space
- This includes: signage, window shades, ceiling fans, sign-in desk, shoe storage, lighting, general storage (cabinet installation)
The $2,000 from the IndieGoGo campaign will be used to fund some of the immediate necessary changes to the upstairs and downstairs. If we raise more than $2,000, great! -- the amount we'll have to raise through fundraising activities will be even smaller.
We look forward to giving back to everyone who gives to us! To start with, we want to offer you our eternal gratitude. :-) Besides that, you'll be earning some good karma by supporting a project designed to help many people develop inner peace, even if you only give a little.
At higher levels of giving, we are happy to offer you:
- Guided meditation CD(s)
- Coupons to our Center
- Books by our founder, Geshe Kelsang Gyatso
- One month's free Monthly Membership
- Gifts donated by local businesses
The Impact of Ganden Center
Who says Buddhism and meditation can't flourish in South Carolina?!
Against all odds, Ganden Kadampa Buddhist Center has been a meaningful part of the South Carolina landscape since 2002. We've grown consistently and now offer classes at least periodically in:
- Aiken, SC
- Augusta, GA
- Beaufort, SC
- Charleston, SC
- Columbia, SC (our home!)
- Greenville, SC
- Savannah, GA
- Sumter, SC
- We also offer classes at a high-security men's prison in western South Carolina
The Impact of Our Move
- We will at last be handicap accessible!
- We will have space for simultaneous children's classes and adult classes
- There will be far less noise, which means better meditations for everyone
- Finally, more parking!
- Safer location!
- Room to grow!
Other Ways You Can Help
Ok, even if you don't want to give $1, there are still plenty of ways you can help:
- Spread the word: Whether you give or not, please post a link to this campaign on your Facebook page or email it to your friends.
- Volunteer: Contact email@example.com to find out how you can help us with our fundraising events coming up this summer and fall.
- Participate: From "Bingo & Brunch" to our fundraising walk in the fall, there are lots of fun events you can take part in to help us raise funds.
- Local business owner? Donate a "perk" that we can give to generous donors!