Help fund The Daily Cartoonist for a year
Eight years ago when I started The Daily Cartoonist (TDC), I was just hoping to get to year five. The popularity and influence of TDC has surpassed any of my expectations. The media landscape has changed quite a bit in those years. Social Media is the go-to place for news and conversation. Mobile phones and tablet devices are increasingly the screen of choice for staring into for web content. This next year I’m investing heavily with my time and efforts to improve every aspect of the blog from how news is gathered, organized, delivered and read.
My top goals for the blog are:
- Redesign – This is more than just a lipstick and a pretty bow, Visually, I’m redesigning the site to provide a better experience for both tablet and mobile phones, but architecturally I’ll be moving the blog to a different CMS that has better scalability, security and performance.
- Refocus of content – I’m going to simplify the content structure to simply focus on Creators, Publishers, Issues, and Technology. I won’t be cutting back on my current “beat” of print/newspaper based cartooning but expect the circle of creators and publishers to get bigger.
- Reorganize my sources – News is moving faster thanks to social media. I’m going to spend a lot of time reevaluating how I gather news and improving filtering genuine news from the noise that is social media.
What do you get out of this?
At the end of this process (I’m shooting for end of January) The Daily Cartoonist will have more news, be better focused, better sourced and look fantastic on your mobile phone or tablet at 2:00 am (or any other time, really).
So each year (okay, mostly every year), I run a NPR-style guilt-trip induced fund-raiser to ask for money to pay for hosting, allow me to attend various cartooning events and provide goodwill support for my time running the blog. This year, because my investment of time and efforts will be so much bigger, I’m using Indiegogo to raise more money than I’ve ever raised before and I’ve reached out to several friends of the blog to help provide exciting incentives for all the donors.
BONUS PERK: Last THREE days
Any new donors from Monday through Wednesday OR any previous donors who increase their donation by $10 will get a eBook of my best cartoons. It's a mix of:
Editorial cartoons and comic strips that put me on the finalist list for the Charles M. Schulz award for best college cartoonist
My Christmas cartoons
My first submission to the syndicates
And several comic strips that I explored (like the one about becoming a parent of a set of triplets)
The eBook will formatted for easy reading on tablets or desktop and be delivered before Christmas.
Plus, as always you can select other great perks such as:
Exclusive King Features Syndicate calendars
And I have lots of book collections generously donated by Universal Uclick:
- The Argyle Sweater 2014 Day to Day Calendar, Scott Hilburn
- The Mighty Alice, Richard Thompson
- The Fuzzy Bunch, Darby Conley
- Reheated Lio, Mark Tatulli
- Celebrating Peanuts, Charles Schulz
- The Complete Calvin & Hobbes, Bill Watterson (paperback)
- The Complete Far Side, Gary Larson
Please scroll down the right hand side. There are many other great perks for donating.
What happens if the goal isn’t met?
This is a flexible funding, so every dollar helps, even if I don’t reach the goal!
Spread the word
If you’re not in a financial position to support The Daily Cartoonist through this campaign or want to help more - there are several things you can do. The biggest thing you can do is spread the word through your blog, Tumblr, Facebook, Twitter or other awesome media channels. Indiegogo has some neat share tools as well that make it all very easy.
Thank you. All three of you who made it to the bottom of this post.