We're Lloyd, Jimmy, and Amber. We've been gamers for a long time, and running a store is a goal we share in common. FLGS stands for Friendly Local Game Store. A FLGS is a place for gamers and other geek-friendly people to hang out and play some games. We discovered that the name FLGS is available, and we're naming our store after this common acronym.
Sure, FLGS isn't a city necessity like a fire station or a hospital, but it makes people happy.
Our Business Principle
Two-thirds of all ex-gamers say they quit because they "can't find somebody to play with". We plan to make "finding somebody to play with" our raison d'être. The game room, the social networking, bulletin boards--the entire business model revolves around people enjoying the company of other people.
What We Need & What You Get
We need inventory! We need current inventory to get people playing games again. Although we could spend $15,000 for this new inventory, we're willing to take it one step at a time. $2,000 will get us the most essential items.
We need to advertise to let people know about the stuff we have. We need about $1,900 to do a direct mail to the area around the store. We also plan to get an A-frame sign for the sidewalk so that all that traffic from NAS Jax sees us as they drive by. Those cost about $100.
Merchandise and advertising are our two most critical needs. No part of your contribution will go toward a salary toward the new owners. We believe in this project enough to not take anything out for at least a year. We really want this store to be the best it can be.
If we don't reach our goal, everything we get goes is split between goodies for the shelves and a smaller mailout.
Choose a contribution level. For your donation, you get specific game items or categories, usually at a significant discount. For the largest donations, you get blanket store credit that you can redeem however you want, all at a bonus. If we exceed our goal, we plan to introduce additional benefits for existing contributors.
Oh, and there's no rule that says you and your gaming group can't go in on one of the contributions as a group--as long as one person stands up and makes the contribution, you can split it however you want.
In all cases, international contributors are responsible for shipping costs. Contact us for details.
$10 - Kobold Minion: You get 3 booster packs of Return to Ravnica. That's $2 off retail, it includes shipping.
$30 - Bugbear Brigand: You take home any RPG title worth $35 or less. Pick up the latest release or fill in a hole in your collection. Take a chance on a new game.
$31 - Ogre Champion: This one's similar but for minis. Get any minis blister or box worth $31 or less.
$50 - Hill Giant Chieftain: Settlers of Catan plus the 5-6 player extension. The retail price is $62. You save $12, and domestic shipping is included.
$100 - Fire Giant King: Get any Space Marine army box or corresponding box for another GW army.
$125 - Immortal Titan: A Booster box of Return to Ravnica, shipping included. That's $20 off retail.
$300 - Silver Dragon: You get a $360 gift certificate and credit on a plaque in the store.
$500 - Gold Dragon: You get a $625 gift certificate and everlasting fame identifying you as a Gold Dragon Contributor on our wall.
$1000 - Platinum Dragon: $1300 gift certificate and a plaque dedicated solely to you.
NEW $2,500 - Publisher Extravaganza: For game manufacturers only. We'll buy $2,000 worth of your products through distribution and restock them for at least a year before we even check sales records.
Choose one of the gift certificate rewards and a contribution level. You'll get a chance after the campaign to work out the details. We'll buy your products through distribution if available or directly if not.
The larger the contribution, the more effort we'll put into sales. For $100, we'll put it on the shelf and mention its arrival through our normal communication. At the $500 level, we'll run demo games and report sales levels to you afterward.
Why support us? Two main reasons. One is that we can't keep track of everybody out there, and this gives you an automatic "in". More importantly, of course, is the potential for downstream sales, and it's why we love inventory. We'll restock anything that sells (okay, IF it sells within the first year. We have to be reasonable), and we'll keep restocking it. Your $50 donation could mean $500 in sales--and more as your SKU list grows.
- FLGS will be picking up the legacy of War Dogs Game Center, the last full-service game store in Jacksonville with all the main product lines and a game room. It brought the magic of games to millions of kids in Jacksonville. Okay, maybe not millions, but certainly thousands.
- We'll be moving into Sun Coast Comics' old space. While some people are expected to become customers of the new online venture the current owners are starting, we'll be glad to take care of the customers who choose to stay.
- Starting next year, we'll participate in Free RPG Day, offering a chance to get free games. It's a good opportunity to bring a friend in and get him hooked.
- Since 2004, Lloyd has been writing business plans for other would-be store owners. He literally wrote the book on how to start and run a retail game store. You can be confident that this isn't a fly-by-night effort. No wasted contributions here!
Other Ways You Can Help
If you can't contribute, you can still help!
- Share us on Facebook or Twitter or however you socialize with your friends.
- You can use the Indiegogo share tools below to make it easier to tell people.
- If you've already donated, pester your friends into contributing so that you can increase the value of your perk through our bonus perks.
- If you want to get a tattoo of a QR code linking to this campaign, we'll provide your inker with the graphic. Go for it!
Thanks for reading, and we hope you'll help us with our goal. Also, world peace.