To all the friends of Fractal Nation, far and wide...
Thank you for making 2011 the most magical year in many of our lives. The overwhelmingly positive reception of Fractal Nation by the Burning Man community is something we cherish and honor. We were proud to bring you our historic and unprecedented collaboration of over a dozen major Art and Production collectives; who were ALL inspired, given purpose, and nurtured by Burning Man. It felt great to give back to the community.
The reality of last year’s production costs and this year’s ticket lottery, Fractal Nation looked like a one-off. It just wasn’t going to be feasible for us to return. However, thanks to the Burning Man Organization, we were offered a pre-placement for Fractal Nation. With that, it is with great pleasure that we announce Fractal Nation’s return for the 2012 Burning Man experience. But we knew that we needed to make a number of changes from last year to create an even grander offering.
Our Core and Crew are all professional festival producers and artists, and 2012 is an exceptional year with the return of Symbiosis and Boom, and the addition of Desert Rocks and Eclipse 2012, which our Core team will be working intensely. This has created restrictions on the amount of time, energy, and resources we can devote to another Fractal Nation, which means that Fractal Nation cannot support another Village of 500+ this year. We decided to restrict camp membership to the Art and Production Crew in order to pull off another cutting-edge soundstage and beautiful art gallery for the entire city.
Because of the reduced numbers of people in camp, we need your assistance, and that of the larger community, for financial help bring Fractal Nation back. Last year the Fractal Nation base camp bore the entire brunt of the more than $100,000 budget it took to bring Fractal Nation to the playa.
If you appreciated our gift to you last year, if it moved you in any way, we humbly ask for your help! Be a part of recreating the magic of last year by contributing to our IndieGoGo campaign
Our target goal is $50,000, and every cent counts. Here's some of what you’ll see in 2012...
- Soundstage from the Envision Festival, designed by Carey Thompson and Dolla Bill, one of the best lineups on the Playa (last year's lineup included Gaudi, Beats Antique, Opiuo, Random Rab, Mimosa, Freq Nasty, Heyoka, An-Ten-Ae, Kaminanda, The Human Experience, Hopscotch, Imagika Om, Santos Y Zurdo, Coldcut, David Starfire, Jillian Ann, and more). 2012 lineup soon.
- Live painting by Alex and Allyson Grey, Andrew Jones, Jesse Noemind, Jessica Perlstein and our entire community of visionary artists.
- Art installations by Carey Thompson, Luke Brown, Amanda Sage, Jason Tucker, Gaye Lub, and Matt Elson
- Camp design by past and present Bamboo DNA builders
- Tribe 13 Visionary Art Gallery
- Starport 2.012 (Cafe Portal) by Carey Thompson - galactivation.com
- Fractal Nation Speaker and Workshop Series featuring Alex and Allyson Grey, Andrew Jones, James Oroc, Charles Shaw, Mitch Shultz, Carey Thompson, Mark Heley, Sergio Lub, Jamie Janover, and an Electronic Music panel featuring some of BM's hottest DJs.
- Fractal Nation 2012 documentary by Mitch Schultz (DMT: The Spirit Molecule) and Charles Shaw (The Exile Nation Project).
- Free online video content of all Fractal Nation 2012 programming
- DiviniTea House and the Yum Sauce Lounge
- Temple of Visions╒ 2012 mutant vehicle project: Amber Vimana, Chariot of the Gods
It's fortuitous that we find ourselves at this particular convergence point in history where technology, culture, and economics all intersect to pave the way for this unique approach to community-sourced camp financing.
We realize there are dozens of demands on your funds, but can you really ever put a price tag on that perfect playa sunrise, where you look across a crowd of dusty humans and lock eyes with someone who later becomes your partner for life? Or meeting that community which you will henceforth call family?
Please help us make this 2012 dream a reality, and be a part of Fractal Nation.