Rowing the Pacific Ocean 2014
On the 7th June 2014, team Fourbirdsaboating will set off from Monterey Bay, California on an 8 month row across the Pacific Ocean, stopping in Honolulu, Hawaii as part of the first ever Great Pacific Race, before continuing on alone and unsupported to Cairns, Australia.
The whole point of the journey, is to teach children worldwide, live from the boat, and to raise funds for young people and our online classroom. The project began as a school club to teach English as a foreign language to students in the former Soviet Republic of Georgia in 2010, and now has around 19,000 online students in 56 countries who would otherwise have little or no access to any form of education. The project is entirely self supported so funds raised through grants and donations will enable us to continue our work, and to reach even more young people, to help them lift themselves out of poverty.
Working with students in the UK, every £500 we raise provides an educational package to another children's project in a developing country. This pack includes an ipad, mini prohjector, solar charger, speakers, two years access to internet, and a paper map to follow us on our journey. Our main subjects taught online include English as a foreign language, science, engineering, and geography.
During the Pacific Ocean row we will collect scientific data on human physiology, plastic pollution, and cetaceans. We'll also be raising money for the Thai Children's Trust who care for 2000 orphans across Thailand.
What We Need
To row across the ocean, we need a boat, and sadly these don't come cheap. We need to raise around £40,000 for the boat named 'Mr Toad', and around £16,000 for all the kit, training, and other bits, though we are already being given a lot of this kit 'in-kind' by some great sponsors.
This is a large investment, but the most important thing, is that the row will help us to raise the profile of our work, and to raise funds to provide our online class to some of the most disadvantaged children in the world, as well as more affluent students in the UK. The boat will be then be made available, free of charge, to future ocean rowers, on the proviso that they continue to raise our profile, provide live from the boat education through our online platform, and to raise funds for us. So your support, will really have a long term impact, and make the world a better place for lots of young people.
How You Can Help: The Perks
- Sponsor a nautical mile of the 7200 nautical mile journey for £1
- Sponsor us £1 and we'll write your name on the boat.
- Sponsor us £10 and we'll send you a postcard from the journey.
- For £15 we'll send you a Fourbirdsaboating mug and use the proceeds to fund a bit of kit with your name associated with it.
- For £20 we'll send you a Fourbirdsaboating T-Shirt and use the proceeds towards a bit of kit for the row, associated with your donation.
- Become a Fourbirdsaboating Friend for £25 and you'll get your name written on the boat, invite to special events and our send off party, a purpose designed map to track us on (dispatched May 2014), expedition postcard, regular newsletter, and the choice of a Henley teddy bear or a 'Birdlife' mug (please give your preference for a mug or bear when donating).
- Become a #Fundoodlefriday doodle for £30
- Sponsor us £325 and we'll write our names on one of the ocean rowing oars, and present it to you when we return. Yours to keep forever.
- £1000 to become a Bronze Sponsor, for which you get your logo on the boat, expedition postcard, and media coverage throughout.
- £5000 to become a silver sponsor, for which you will receive your logo on the boat and online media, expedition postcards, and you'll be providing one children's project in a developing country with access to education for the first time in their life.
- £7500 to become a Gold sponsor. For this you will receive key placement of your logo on the boat and online activity, invites to exclusive events, postcards from the expedition, and you'll provide educational packs to two children's projects in developing countries.
- £10,000 to become the Platinum and headline sponsor, for which you will receive the highest level of media exposure, prime placement of your logo on the boat, online activity, and our team kit, invites to exclusive events, postcards from the expedition, and educational packs for three children's projects in developing countries.
Bronze, silver, gold, and platinum sponsors will have the opportunity to promote their brand at our September 2013 Leander club event with the Olympic rowers, our participation in the UVU Jungle Marathon in October 2013, as well as the Pacific Ocean row and all associated media and educational events.
Founder, Director, STEM Ambassador, Skipper