THANK YOU TO ALL FOR ALL OF YOUR WONDERFUL SUPPORT AND DONATIONS!! Many of you asked if we would take funds just a bit longer...and we will.
ROUND 2 CAMPAIGN BELOW!!! CLICK TO DONATE!
We are a small group of moms who came together around the idea of getting hot meals out there to folks. Zoe Adlersberg, a photographer, Erin Wile, a producer, and Sara Kate Gillingham-Ryan, founder of thekitchn.com and cookbook author, are spearheading the efforts. For more information please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
What We Need & What You Get
- With food trucks, we can get into affected areas and be flexible. Is there an immediate need in Coney Island? Canarsie? We'll get there. In the Rockaways? In Red Hook? We are mobile and can get meals to folks who need them. Power out, can't cook? We can supply HOT meals for communities that are hurt. Power on now but spirits low? What's better to say "I'm with you!!" as rebuilding continues than a free, delicious, hot meal cooked with love.
- Food trucks can serve 500+ people for $2,500 a day, cost per meal is $5!
- Depending on the funds we raise, we'd like to make a steady push, sending trucks into the field 1-2 per week UNTIL JANUARY 1. The idea is that this is a LONG HAUL, not a quick fix.
- We will do a special push on Thanksgiving and Christmas.
- All money will go DIRECTLY to the trucks for their food/fuel costs minus Indigogo's fee. There is no overhead and no one else is being paid a cent to help with the fundraising. We are doing this because we believe in what we are doing!
Our goal is 2 trucks, 2 days a week ever week (so 4 trucks a week) from next week until Jan 31st, 2012 with 2 additional days on Thanksgiving and Christmas (2 trucks on those days). If we raise more, we'll do more!!
If we don't make our goal we will get as many trucks as we can in the field and focus on current needs and Thanksgiving.
The impact is huge. From the smile on the child's face when ordering a burrito the way she likes it, to an elderly person getting some hot food they need. The trucks turn into a social club too, people congregating around food, catching up, sharing their stories. Food is an amazing thing.
Other Ways You Can Help
If you dont' feel like you can contribute financially...please help us get out the word. Tweet us. Post and share us on Facebook. EVERYONE can make a difference. Lend a hand sorting clothing or getting involved through Occupy Sandy or one of the other wonderful volunteer organizations out there.