What is an expanDrum?
An expanDrum is a drum that utilizes the new patented expanDrum system US 7 781 660, CAN Pending. Ever want to have the response and sound variation of more than one snare drum at the same time? An expanDrum allows you to change from a 4" tall piccolo snare drum to a 7.5" tall snare, with the capabilities of venting the snare in the process. This system can be utilized to turn fusion drums into power toms. Port out bass drums and make multiple tom configurations.
As seen in/at:
Toronto Sun Newspaper, Drums ETC Magazine, Montreal Drum Festival, MaRS Centre
Drums ETC Magazine link:
Pictures of Montreal Drum Festival and MaRS Centre with the Minister of Research & Innovation in the media gallery.
Why should this interest you?
This should interest you if you have ever wanted to buy a piccolo snare but also had your eye on that 7.5" deep snare. With an expanDrum you can have both. You can also vent/port your drum like all the drummers are doing these days. You can customize your expanDrum vents and expandable size capabilities.
Who would benefit from this drum/drum set?
- unique drummers looking for more sound range, or to mix woods, or woods and acrylic/brass etc. for that special sound not available.
- school music programs (on a budget. why buy 1 snare drum when you can buy a multi snare/set.)
- small studios (one expanDrum can sound like many studio drums. how many possibilties will there be with a full drum set) check testing graphs.
- musicians wanting a hybrid (wood & acrylic/brass etc) or ventable drum
- people who are green and want to help the environment (an expanDrum is one drum that can be many)
- orchestra (a piece could be written with one drum setup and then you could fade out change your kit and come back strong with a new sound) change takes 2 mins see video
- marching snare drummers that play on a kit as well (an expanDrum can be both. It can be 10" for marching and shortened for the kit.)
- people who's musical style changes or differs from time to time that want that changability.
- people looking for that it factor as you can customize your drum with vent patterns, materials, even paint finishes. change in an insert with your bands name on it or cool design
anybody that has to have the best new product on the market
Testing Graphs (at bottom of page)
Drummers who want to have more sound variation will want to play an expanDrum. Who wants that single option anything these days? It's about customization, more options. Just like our phones and cars etc.
Think of being able to change your snare drum when your musical tastes changes. Feel like more response change the drum to a piccolo. Want more volume and projection? Maybe for that garage show or pub gig. Open it up and vent it.
People who share a drum kit can play to their liking with the option of changing the drum for other drummers. With the expanDrum floor tom you can change it into a rack tom or split it up to make wooden Timbales. Think of those masked bands that have multiple percussionists.
Small studio and session drummers, along with music teachers/schools and your hobby/garage drummer will benefit from the multiple possibilities of expanDrums. Mics can even be mounted into a vented hole instead of underneath.
What We Need & What You Get
We need $6000 to make molds overseas to get manufacturing going.
We have a manufacturer in Canada that will make the drums but the hardware has to be cast from molds. To be assembled. $6000 will give us money to get molds made and a run of parts as machining the hardware is too costly to do to sell drums.
We have general swag perks along with the ability to rent one of the snare drums in the GTA (Toronto) area for a night gig or jam season.
When we reach $6000 we will be able to get our product mass produced. It will take close to double $12000 to be able to keep the hardware manufacturing in North America. Which would be the ideal choice. Beyond this amount we can take on manufacturing for ourselves.
- This project is important as it changes the way music is made and played.
- It's evolution for percussion instruments
- There is nothing like it on the market. Verified by test drummers and research.
- It's just too good a product to not be on the market
Other Ways You Can Help
You can help us get the word out:
- You can use the indiegogo share tools. spread the word (gift coming soon to person who recruits most contributors)
- You can join us on twitter https://twitter.com/expanDrums
- like us on facebook and tweet us to help us get featured on the main IndieGoGo site.
- refer us to others that may contribute and spread the word