WE MADE IT!
Thanks to 125 donors, and to the hundreds more who spread the word via social media and email blasts, we've surpassed our initial goal of $25,000! Many many thanks, everyone!!! With time still left, we're now shooting to raise an additional $10,000, which will enable us to:
- Spend an additional two to three weeks in the post-production suite, editing two versions of the film - a 60 min. cut for TV distribution, and a longer version for film festival and theatrical screenings. Estimated Cost = $3500
- Purchase several (expensive but great) archival stills of Ezra Pound, for use when Merwin talks about seeking advice from him as a young poet. Estimated Cost = $600
- Purchase Error & Omission Insurance (E&O), a requirement for films that seek distribution on TV and in theaters. Estimated Cost = $3500
- Build out our social media campaign and screening series in tandem with our partners at The Canary Project . Estimated Cost = $2000
- Film festival submissions. Estimated Cost = $400
As a token of our continued gratitude, here’s a clip of Merwin discussing "WILDNESS". Enjoy!
Poet Laureate W.S. Merwin has won almost every major poetry prize that exists, including two Pulitzers. His legacy is based not only upon his writings, however, but also the singular form of environmental activism and land stewardship he embodies.
Now in his 86th year, Merwin has dedicated over three decades to preserving and regenerating native plants and palms on a 19-acre site on the north shore of Maui, Hawaii. Called the Merwin Conservancy, the preserve holds the most comprehensive private collection of palms in the world, with over 800 species. These tangible actions for the environment go hand-in-hand with his poetry, offering important insights for an era marked by environmental degradation, human disconnect with natural processes, and rapid climate change.
Merwin is a vibrant, humorous and challenging subject, and has not been involved in a feature documentary before. EVEN THOUGH THE WHOLE WORLD IS BURNING is an intimate portrait of a man who is often called a “national treasure.”
If you haven't already, please watch the short video above. Many thanks.
We’ve shot close to 100 hours of footage over the past 15 months. This work was made possible by over 200 individuals pitching in, and by several generous foundation grants. Now we’re in the home stretch. In order to finish, we need to raise an additional $25,000. That will cover:
- Shooting three more interviews
- Eight weeks of editing
- Color correct + sound mix
- Original music composition
- Licensing archival footage
- Prepping for festival submission
All donations are fully tax-deductible.
WHO WE ARE
The film is being created by a team of award-winning filmmakers, with many documentary and feature film credits to their name. More on director Stefan Schaefer, producer Williams Cole, and the rest of the team can be found here.
OTHER WAYS YOU CAN HELP
Some people just can’t contribute, but that doesn’t mean they can’t help. Please spread the word about this campaign via the following links: