Why we're on Indiegogo:
Hi! I'm Robb Moore, the founder and inventor of ioSafe. We make fireproof and waterproof data storage devices - like an aircraft black box but for your vital data.
We're releasing the first disaster proof private cloud in January 2013. This product will allow anyone to create, secure, access and protect their vital data on their own private cloud. It's fireproof, waterproof and bolts to the floor. It'll store terabytes of data that you'll be able to access quickly from home but is still easily accessible when you're not. Any smartphone, tablet, PC, Mac or Linux device can access and share pictures, files, videos and music.
If you surf around the internet, you'll see ioSafe products everywhere - both in the news and for sale. You might think we don't need Indiegogo but we do.
We've developed awesome technology that combines computers with safes. We do outrageous demos to get attention. We build hard-core storage products and protect our customers with unprecedented support. Despite all our successes, the fact of the matter is we’re a small 20-person company up against billion-dollar competitors – we’re a modern-day “David versus Goliath.”
We've been growing quickly over the last four years which is, for the most part, fantastic. The downside is that growth can be painful if you're paying for next month's growth with sales from 4 months ago while doubling every year.
We need the help from our community to take ioSafe to the next level. We're very excited to introduce the ioSafe N2 to you - it's our greatest work to date.
The ioSafe N2 that you see in the video is a real, working prototype. We need your support to show us that you're as excited as we are about this project. It can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to bring a product to market but we need the signal from our fans to let us know there's a real need.
<><><><><> UPDATE 9/20 <><><><><>
Interest for this product outside of Indiegogo is growing fast. This is project is happening regardless of the amount raised. The rewards here at Indiegogo are the best deals going for all our early adopters and fans. Thank you so much.
Your contribution will help fund:
- High volume production tooling
- Large component orders
- Emissions and testing certification
The more we raise, the more you win. Our rewards are set up so you get automatic upgrades to either storage capacity or our Data Recovery Service/Warranty the more popular the campaign becomes. Please help us spread the word on your social networks!
ioSafe N2 : Disaster-Proof Private Cloud - like an aircraft black box for personal or business data.
The ioSafe N2 is a fireproof and waterproof, network connected, multi-drive NAS/RAID storage device for terabytes of your precious personal or business data.
Designed to be the center of your private cloud, the ioSafe N2 is powered by a Synology DSM motherboard and operating system. It allows for fast access on your local network and remote access from nearly any device connected to the internet - all secured and protected by you.
The ioSafe N2 is designed and assembled by ioSafe in California - a data storage company with a vision to protect the world's photos, videos and business data.
Press on the ioSafe N2:
Wired - "I'm itching to get one"
CNET - "Best of both worlds"
AnandTech - "Exciting"
Small Business Trends - "Gives businesses control of their data"
DVICE - "Definitely worth a look"
It's all about you. Your data. Your stuff. All of it.
The Cloud Problem: Slow, Pricy and Insecure
If you have a 20-30 GB to protect, the public cloud is an option. If you have terabytes to store, the traditional public cloud breaks down quickly.
Speed: Moving a terabyte online can take months. Three or four terabytes? Fuggedaboutit! Months to upload and months to download. It's faster to ship a hard drive across the country than to try to stream the data across the internet. The situation is only getting worse as data growth will continue to exceed bandwidth over the foreseeable future. It's the equivalent of pushing the Pacific Ocean through a garden hose.
Cost: To store a couple of terabytes on Amazon's S3 Storage over three years will cost over $8000. Granted Mozy, Carbonite or Backblaze combined with Dropbox can be a fantastic setup if (1) you don't have terabytes of data and (2) you don't have them on a NAS and (3) you don't care about disaster recovery for all your programs or OS in addition to your data.
Security: No one in the public cloud cares as much about your data as you do. Information gets hacked, deleted and compromised in the public cloud as the biggest databases represent the juiciest targets for hackers. Staying in control of how your local data is stored, accessed and managed is an excellent way to avoid risks of the public cloud.
Private Cloud: The private cloud (aka NAS with cloud-like applications: picture sharing, music streaming and file syncing) can help solve the speed and security issues associated with the public cloud. It's fast when you're local and accessible when you're remote. The security is set by you and only you: simply pull the plug out of the wall if you want to completely lock out all external access to your data. Once your data is out in the public cloud, you lose control over how or where your data is stored. It will invariably get replicated across the internet and can never be made completely secure again.
Disaster Recovery (DR) for the private cloud? Streaming your data offsite for disaster protection is slow and is fraught with unknown risks regarding your service provider's policies and employees. Trying to replicate onsite and then physically move the data offsite for DR is a daily hassle and expense. You risk losing the data through human error, an unlocked car, disgruntled employee, etc. - bad things happen. Streaming or syncing terabytes online leads straight back to the public cloud's cost and bandwidth issues.
Solution: ioSafe protects from natural disaster by wrapping its patented protection technology around vulnerable private cloud data - onsite. You get fast local access, redundant hard drives, security, nearly unlimited storage, cloud convenience, access to the data with virtually any device and onsite protection against natural disasters. It's a beautiful thing - digital Nirvana.
You can use our solution alone or in conjunction with your existing backup and DR practices if you have any already in place. Every situation is special and this technology is meant as a tool for you to use to reduce your vulnerability. There is simply no other another single solution available with all the advantages of the ioSafe N2 for speed, flexibility, cost and disaster recovery.
Protects data from loss up to 1550°F for 1/2 hour per ASTM E119
DataCast endothermic fire insulation technology protects your data from extreme heat. The DataCast formulation forms a chemical bond with water molecules that, at temperatures above 160°F, releases water vapor to limit the internal temperature of the unit during a fire.
Protects data from loss up to 10ft for 72 hours.
HydroSafe water barrier technology is designed to protect data loss from fresh or salt water damage, including full immersion. While keeping your data dry, the HydroSafe technology still allows heat to dissipate during normal operation.
Active Airflow Cooling
For optimum operating temperature, FloSafe active airflow cooling technology provides cooling airflow through the enclosure and across the disk drives during normal operating conditions. If destructive heat levels are sensed, such as in a fire, the FloSafe vent is designed to limit and protect your data from the extreme heat.
First - be creative. You can make this device a part of your wireless network and hide it anywhere inside your house or workplace. Hide it as you might a small safe. Additionally, a Kensington lock slot is standard. An Optional Floor Mount / Padlock Kit (shipping in January 2013) will enable the N2 to bolt down to any surface or be secured with a cable & padlock. Securing the drive also prevents the drive from moving during a disaster.
Data Recovery Service
The ultimate safety net for the ultimate NAS, the ioSafe Data Recovery Service (DRS) provides a multi-use, no questions asked data and hardware recovery service. For any loss, no matter the reason, ioSafe will ship, attempt recovery, spend up to $2500 per terabyte on forensic recovery if required and send data back on replacement product. First use of DRS has no deductible. DRS Pro is intended for our Pro-sumer and Business Users by covering the ioSafe device + the connected server or PC with limits up to $5000 per TB. See our website for terms and conditions.
World Class Apps!
Apps make all the difference. We teamed with Synology to bring you world class DSM apps and operating system. Apps for backup, management, multimedia, productivity and surveillance. In addition to the list below, many more features of the Synology DSM community can be found here.
In addition to the list above, more applications available on the ioSafe N2 powered by Synology DSM can be found here.
How does it work?
The ioSafe N2 connects to your home or business network, preferable at the main router or switch. A network drive (or "share") can be created that allows everyone on the local area network (LAN) with proper permissions to "see" the common drive and share the data. The data can also be made available to the wide area network (WAN - aka the Internet) by allow applications and data to be "forwarded" to the NAS at your router.
If you've never setup a network, get an experienced friend or call us - we're happy to help.
- DUAL DRIVE RAID 1 REDUNDANCY: Drives are hot swappable and automatically synchronize data between drives to protect against data loss due to hard drive failure.
- FIRE: Protects against data loss in a fire, up to 1550°F for 30 minutes per ASTM E119
- WATER: Protects against data loss from water, full immersion, 3 days, 10 feet in fresh water or salt water.
- THEFT: Kensington® Lock Slot. Optional floor mount / padlock kit coming Q1 2013.
- CPU Frequency : 2.0 GHz
- Memory : DDR3 512 MB
- Max Internal Capacity : 8 TB (2 X 4 TB 3.5" SATA HDD) (Effective Usable Capacity of 8TB RAID 1 is 4TB)
- External HDD Interface : USB 3.0 X 2, USB 2.0 X 1, SD Card X 1
- Size (HxWxD) : 6" x 9" x 12"
- Weight : 28 lbs
- LAN : Gigabit X 1
- Wake on LAN/WAN
- Standard Warranty : 1 Year
- Data Recovery Service (DRS): DRS for Diskless version is sold separately during registration standard. 1 year DRS included for all ioSafe N2 products loaded with disks from the factory.
- DRS and Warranty upgradable to a maximum of 5 years at ioSafe.com during DRS activation.
Data Recovery Service + No-Hassle Warranty
Data Recover Service (DRS) is a bit like insurance for the one thing insurance can't get back - your data. DRS effectively spreads the high cost of forensic data recovery across tens of thousands of users in order to minimize financial impact during times of data loss emergencies. When DRS is used in conjunction with disaster proof hardware, ioSafe has been better than 99.99% successful in retaining our customers' data.
- Data Recovery Service (DRS) - Includes international shipping, data recovery of up to $2500 per TB for forensic recovery fees for product if required and replacement product. Can be extended with Warranty for $.99 per TB per month for up to 5 years. Learn more about the DRS terms and conditions.
- Data Recovery Service Pro (DRS Pro) - Includes international shipping, advanced replacement, data recovery of up to $5000 per TB for forensic recovery fees for product plus attached server or PC if required and replacement product. Can be extended with Warranty for $2.99 per TB per month for up to 5 years. Learn more about the DRS terms and conditions.
- No-Hassle Warranty - Repair or replace of product if it stops working for any reason during the term of the warranty. Yes, even if you break it on purpose.
- N2 Diskless - 1 year No-Hassle Warranty Standard. Upgradeable to 5 years of Data Recovery Service + Warranty upon DRS activation at ioSafe.com
- N2 (loaded with drives) - 1 year DRS + 1 year No-Hassle Warranty Standard. Upgradeable to 5 years of Data Recovery Service + Warranty upon DRS activation at ioSafe.com
- N2 Enterprise (loaded with enterprise drives) - 1 year DRS Pro + 1 year No-Hassle Warranty Standard. Upgradeable to 5 years of Data Recovery Service Pro + Warranty upon DRS activation at ioSafe.com
- File Station
- Virtual Drive
- Remote Folder
- Backup Solutions
- Network Backup
- Local Backup
- Desktop Backup (Window: Synology Data Replicator 3, Mac: Apple Time Machine backup application)
- Shared Folder Sync - Max task number : 2
- Configuraiton Backup
- Mail Server
- Supported Protocols : POP3, SMTP, IMAP
- FTP Server
- Bandwidth Control, Custom FTP Passive Port Range, Anonymous FTP, Transfer Log
- Web Station
- Virtual Host (up to 30 websites)
- 3rd-Party Applications Support
Fast for home or business use.
ioSafe N2 delivers an average 108 MB/sec reading speed under RAID 1 configuration in a Windows® environment, and 65 MB/sec writing (performance can vary in different environments). ioSafe N2 offers unprecedented physical protections combined with providing a reliable solution for data sharing with an easy to use interface, and comprehensive office applications, including a complete backup solution making it an incredible value considering the importance of your data.
Available with USB 3.0 support, the ioSafe N2 can interface with today's fast USB drives for NAS backup or additional storage.
Effective Backup Solutions
ioSafe N2 offers a centralized backup target to consolidate fragmented and unstructured data across a network. PC users can back up their data to ioSafe N2 using any commercially available PC software today and Mac OS X® users enjoy native Apple® Time Machine® integration. In addition, users can back up and restore DiskStation shared folders in multiple versions using Synology Time Backup package.
You can have your own cloud by using Cloud Station to freely access and sync file across different computers. Cloud Station keep multiple versions of a document in case of accidentally delete or upon any change.
Rich Office Applications
The ioSafe N2 runs on the renowned multitasking operating system, the Synology DiskStation Manager (DSM). Offering a comprehensive list of business applications, the N2 can be customized to run multiple applications of your choice to fulfill the requirement of your business environment. The N2 replaces several pieces of traditional network hardware with rich features designed specifically for workgroups and offices such as antivirus, video surveillance, webmail, VPN, and LDAP directory services.
Applications are managed in the Package Center, an application portal that hosts applications as ready-to-use packages; to ensure high software integration as well as one-click-installation to eliminate guess work during installation. Additional approved 3rd party PHP web application such as content management, customer relationship management & e-commerce system can be hosted on N2 by using Web Station with support for PHP/MySQL® web content.
Virtualization Support and iSCSI
The ioSafe N2 powered by Synology DSM supports all major visualization solutions including VMware vSphere 5 and VAAI hardware acceleration support as well as iSCSI.
Hassle-free System Installation
Web Assistant is a web-based utility to makes every ioSafe N2 as easy to install as possible. Installation is done inside your existing web browser by setting up all vital system components in few simple steps. Combined with a quick-start widget, users can simultaneously tour the DSM operating system and set it up to use immediately.
Peace of Mind with Data Encryption
The ioSafe N2 is equipped with an encryption engine which offloads the encryption calculation task away from the main CPU, helping to improve file transfer speeds of the N2.
Data protection is an important matter for businesses of all sizes. High-end features previously available only on enterprise level hardware are now accessible via ioSafe N2 to small and medium-sized businesses. N2 provides share-level AES 256-bit encryption to aid in the prevention of unauthorized access attempts to the hard drives.
Energy Efficient with Cool and Quiet Design
ioSafe N2 is designed with energy efficiency in mind. Not only does it provide a 92x92 mm fan and the smart airflow to keep the system running cool 24/7, its noise dampening design makes it really quiet compared to PC counterparts. The support of Wake on LAN/WAN, multiple scheduled power on/off and hard drive hibernation can further reduce power consumption and operation cost.
REWARD DETAILS (Terms & Conditions)
The rewards are generally setup so that as more people contibute, the rewards get better. By sharing, liking and linking your friends to us - everyone wins. Please help spread the word.
- $1 Reward: You'll be updated as we make progress and given the first chance to purchase just before we officially launch to the public.
- $25 Reward: Along with updates, you're going to get a really cool ioSafe T-shirt based on the results of our T-shirt Contest. Taking votes between “Does my NAS look big in these jeans?” or “The public cloud can kiss my NAS” or suggest something. Sorry – no overseas shipping. Ship it to a friend and have them forward it. Shipping anywhere in the USA is included. Add $10 for shipping to Canada.
- $49, $99 and $249 Reward: Along with updates and a T-shirt, you'll also get a great discount on an existing ioSafe product. Thanks for helping us! Sorry – no overseas shipping. Ship it to a friend and have them forward it. Free US shipping in the US (add $25 for Canada) for the Rugged Portable. Please add $25 for HI and AK ($50 for Canada) for SoloPRO shipments.
- $499 Extreme Early Bird (limited to 100): You get it. You understand that ioSafe represents the path to the digital promise land. We need you to help us spread the word. You are the disciples. As more people buy in, your rewards get the sweetest the fastest with free capacity upgrades for your N2 Diskless of 2TB for every $250K raised at Indiegogo up to 6TB maximum (2 X 3TB drives). That's right, if we hit $750K, you'll get a 6TB N2 for $499 but you'll need to help us spread the word. Use your network. 1 year DRS & Warranty comes standard with this reward. DRS and Warranty are not upgraded for this reward. Sorry – no overseas shipping. Ship it to a friend and have them forward it. Free US shipping except please add $25 for HI and AK. Add $50 for shipping to Canada.(Up to $1700 Value).
- $499 N2 Diskless Standard Reward: With this reward, you'll receive a one N2 Diskless system. You can load it with whatever capacity drives you'd like after you receive it. For every $250K raised, you'll get 1 free year of DRS as an upgrade as more people join in. The system comes standard with 1 year Warranty only. As the DRS is upgraded, the Warranty is upgraded to match the duration (i.e. if we raise $1M dollars on Indiegogo, you'll get 4 years of DRS and 4 years of Warranty) up to 5 years of DRS maximum. The hard drives that you supply are not a part of this warranty by ioSafe. Sorry – no overseas shipping. Ship it to a friend and have them forward it. Free US shipping except please add $25 for HI and AK. Add $50 for shipping to Canada.
- $999 (4TB) N2 Rewards: With these rewards, you'll receive a one N2 system loaded with two drives that have a total capacity of your reward (i.e. the 6TB capacity has 2X 3TB drives loaded). For every $250K raised, you'll get 1 additional free year of DRS as an upgrade as more people join in up to a maximum of 5 years of DRS if the total raised is $1M or above. The system comes standard with 1 year DRS and 1 year Warranty. As the DRS is upgraded, the Warranty is upgraded to match the duration (i.e. if we raise $1M dollars on Indiegogo, you'll get 4 years of DRS and 4 years of Warranty) up to 5 years of DRS maximum. The hard drives that are included in this award are covered under the ioSafe Warranty. Sorry – no overseas shipping. Ship it to a friend and have them forward it. Free US shipping except please add $25 for HI and AK. Add $50 for shipping to Canada.
- Platinum Sponsor: This was created for the few individuals that want the ultimate ioSafe setup, face time with the CEO, factory tour. You'll learn about the company, where we've been, where we're headed. With the added bonus of a couple days in beautiful Auburn and Lake Tahoe, California. Promising good times! If you live outside the USA, we'll pay for a portion of your flight. All USA flights (for 2 people) are included in this award. Shipping our product for you anywhere in the world is included with this reward.
Q. How does the N2 stay cool if it's surrounded by fireproof insulation? A. ioSafe's patented FloSafe Vent technology allows cooling airflow to pass through the enclosure during normal operation. In a fire, steam is created in the internal cavity with flows outward from all vent holes - effectively creating a positive pressure room inside the device. The action of the outward flow of water vapor prohibits the hot fire energy from invading the drives held within.
Q. The N2 has holes. How is it waterproof? A. While the outer enclosure has holes, the hard drives on the inside are hermetically sealed in a heat conductive yet waterproof extrusion. Also known as our HydroSafe technology, heat generated from the drives is allowed to pass through the waterproof barrier and cooled off with the airflow. In a flood, the outer casing may get wet or even destroyed but the data stays safe on the drives as they never get wet.
Q. Can the 512MB of RAM be upgraded? A. No. The memory is not user serviceable.
Q. How fast is the N2? A. Using RAID 1, 108MB/s Read and 65MB/s write speeds are possible on a Windows environment. (performance can vary in different environments)
Images of the Prototype N2: